SRB2 2.01 : What are your honest thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I could enjoy all the new levels. Not because I can't bring myself to like them like some other people, but because I literally can't get past Castle Eggman Zone act 2. The lag is so terrible I can't get anywhere, I mean really really terrible

In which minute do you arrive to the last room? I had a REALLY hard time on my first Sonic try, because I got there in 10th minute and the lag was horrible. Then I replayed the same level, but I got there in 4-5 minutes. There wasn´t much lag. Try to be faster.

jake_heritagu said:
I didn't even get past Deep Sea Zone on my own. So then I went and played online Co-op with my other friends who also have played it for years.

The absolute worse though had to be Arid Canyon Zone. Whoever was trying to make a fun map lost their sanity somewhere along the road. We found ourselves running in a giant circle for at least 5 minutes before ONE spot that was out of the way and not at all noticeable was the way to go.

Sorry but if you needed help from other people to finish DSZ that's you're fault, everyone else has managed it by themselves, and so have I, its not that hard, you have nothing to complain about you're just not very good at the game.

And I never got lost in ACZ, there are a lot of routes to choose from to get to the end, but you never get lost. I don't understand how you got lost, you must've missed something blindingly obvious like the stack of pully ropes on top of each other in the distance, and instead you ran to the right and got lost or did something like that, which is again, your problem, I never actually ran in a circle or got into a maze-type situation, I don't think a part of the level like that exists in ACZ.

And I never got lost in ACZ, there are a lot of routes to choose from to get to the end, but you never get lost. I don't understand how you got lost, you must've missed something blindingly obvious like the stack of pully ropes on top of each other in the distance, and instead you ran to the right and got lost or did something like that, which is again, your problem, I never actually ran in a circle or got into a maze-type situation, I don't think a part of the level like that exists in ACZ.

I actually had the same problem, but just because I was playing with Knuckles and instead of following the path, I kept climbing and gliding. And that´s not good when you don´t know the layout, because when you get to an upper path, if you choose the bad direction you can go backwards. But that´s not a level design problem, that´s a problem of trying to get the easiest/quicker path without even knowing where should you go.

After playing with Sonic, I undertanded a lot better the layout and I didn´t get lost when I played with Tails, even flying around.

It isn´t a new problem anyway, you could get lost easily in levels like GFZ2 if you kept going to high places without knowing where was everything. If you don´t follow the main path, you better know where are you going to.

SRB2 2.0 is MUCH more better than 1.09.4, that's for sure, and there are so good things in that I can't choose what do I like the most.

Though I didn't quite like 2 of the new zones, I thought this release was great. I'm really excited for the new mapping possibilities opened by all of these awesome new textures and new features that 2.0 has to offer. The new multiplayer system is great too, I've been playing great games of CTF and match since the release, and the new system fits the new levels perfectly. It's nice to see circuit changed up a bit too, some nice changes to the texture set and design have created a fresh new experience when racing. I have absolutely no complaints about the multiplayer this time around, it's simply awesome. However, I can't say that I don't slightly miss my overpowered ring combos, they were fun while they lasted.

Okay, time to throw in my two cents...

Being one of the people who played through on co-op with jake_heritagu, I'll try not to repeat everything he said: partly because I don't need to repeat all of his points, and partly because my opinion differs to an extent.

First off, I love the looks (mostly). The new textures and palette is really great, and I love the new objects. I really loved the 'wavy' water effect and how horizontal doors can work now (not sure how they work yet, but I know I saw some in CEZ). I like the concepts for the enemies, but some of the sprites, not so much. Really didn't like the Crawlas. They looked like someone took Senku's crawla sprites and made them look not as good. Then again, this is my personal opinion. Oh, and that while some enemies got redesigned the Jettys and Buzz...I always forget if it's just Buzzes or Buzzers, but I assume you'll know what I mean by that, but the sprites of those two enemies didn't look touched.

As for what I didn't like... well, level design mostly. DSZ I felt was too long, and the underwater parts got on my nerves. Granted there were air bubbles, that sort of makes it feel slow paced, especially when you're playing as Sonic. I did not like the diverging path in ACZ. That got me and my friends lost, because when we first saw that pit, we figured it was one of the deathpits that were common throughout the level. That might be our own mistake, but the length of the other path had us convinced it must be the right direction, when it wasn't. It didn't get better after that. In either case, I felt like I was being punished for being a Sonic. I had to stop many times to find the right path, and I felt for a speed-based character I had to stop running quite a lot. It seems like if you go Knuckles, you'll have probably the easiest time getting through the 'new' SRB2.

All in all, whether you choose to agree with this opinion or not, I feel like I'll be sticking to 1.09.4, the last good version of SRB2, once again, in my opinion. That, or I'll have to rip most of the new stuff and put it into a mod for 1.09.4, so I can enjoy both the old and the new.

(Oh, also, not going to comment on multiplayer because I never do it ; shooting rings at other people? Seems so silly.)

I seriously agree with ACZ paths. I even had trouble with Knuckles. The rings are going that way! Lets go that way! Then you find out you've been going backwards the whole time. AND there are springs in certain areas, making you think you should use it. But all the spring does is make you go BACKWARDS into the level.

DSZ... OH GOD, if you have lag it can be impossible to beat the level! D:
Same with CEZ, you have lag. Have fun with the chains! :D

After getting a chance to play this I felt it was Huge improvement to the 1.09.4, I liked the new levels and the new things you could do in them(Such as deep sea palaces waterslide) and I enjoyed the new CTF and Match maps(Twisted Terminal FTW), There were some cons I had with it though, For example deep sea palace's block maze was very anonoying, and some other flaws, but other then that its a awesome improvement.

My honest thoughts are that this game has incredibly improved since the last release! The new levels are amazing! My favourite so far has been CEZ1 because of the awesome obstacles, forests, rushing rivers and castles! Playing through it gives me that kind of feeling that many people (me included) got from playing legend of Zelda Twilight Princess. It has greatly inspired me to attempt to make medieval themed characters to kind of complete the feeling. I also enjoyed Arid Canyon with the conveyor things that you hang from! It is all fun! Even Egg Rock isn't as bad as some people say it is! Keep up with the great work STjr!

For me the worst part is not the Save system, though I do hate it. No, the worst part was finding that certain emblems were Neigh impossible to get with Sonic. They're almost as bad as Jade Coast act 1 from Mystic Realm.

I'm pretty upset with this new release. All the new Zones were really lacking in fun gameplay and felt really incomplete and unfinished. Lag was extremely consistent, and because of my physical handicap, playing Match and CTF is near-impossible with the new gameplay system. I'd prefer it GREATLY if we got to play the classic version of the modes. The fact that I never liked the original three Zones and that the new ones are even worse is a pretty disappointing fact.
I don't really like the new sprites as they don't seem to fit SRB2's style (particularly, the last boss and new enemies).

Overall, I'm disappointed by this release because I don't like the new content and I simply can't play Match and CTF anymore.

Yeah, single player framerate issues is one thing (and we are working on it), but I tested match on really terrible machines and the level design is simplistic enough that it ran perfectly. I cannot comprehend how you'd have issues running it.

I don't get lag on the Match/CTF levels. Where did you get that from? Maybe I wasn't specific enough?
I get the lag issues on single player levels only.
Slurgly: The complex new system with the switching of weapons forces me to use all sorts of keys, and because I only have one hand that functions properly, it's near-impossible for me to play a good game.

You tried using the number binds or something similar? I've never tried to play an FPS one-handed, but you only really need one extra key, either next or previous weapon. You'd be a bit handicapped with only one of those keys, but you're handicapped without a mouse anyways, so I don't see how that would harm your play all that much if you played 1.09.4 match fine. Probably doing WASD for move/turn, QE for strafe, F for fire, R for next weapon, and space for jump would hit most of the keys you really absolutely need. SRB2 also uses the system where hitting keys 1-7 will switch to that weapon number, should that be more comfortable. I've never liked doing that, but I know a few people who swear by it.

I once played Srb2 with only one hand after I had broken the other one. I just used the mouse, and speed thok was my only mode of actually moving. It didn't work very well when I grabbed the flag, but despite that, I was okay.

That might reasonably be possible if SRB2 supported more than 4 mouse buttons, but with only four mouse buttons I wouldn't think you'd be able to do very well. I guess mouse1 fire, mouse2 jump, mouse3 for spindash, mousewheel for weapon select and mouse4 for forward, but still, that would be difficult =P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back