Kirby's Epic Yarn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shows how much this board has Kirby fans. *shot*
Anyway, it's about time Kirby gets console respect again.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK4gKc9OuTk

Well, sure. It's not that Kirby Wii game that was expected..
(I mean, why make this if they already had a game in production?)
But at least it's something original.

The appearance of the characters and layout of the game are vastly different from Kirby's other appearances. The animation style is meant to look like everything is a yarn outline with minor details such as facial features. The layout of the worlds and levels is scrapbook-like with simple pieces of fabric such as cloth and felt.
Many of the enemies are also made up cloth, felt, and pipe cleaners.
Kirby also appears to have new abilities such as turning into a giant Kirby-like tank, swinging across gaps, and grabbing enemies with a strand of yarn. Beads are hidden throughout the levels for players to collect along with other hidden items concealed in Treasure Chests.

Another key feature in the game is that it seems Kirby has lost the ability to inhale. Instead, Kirby can create a whip-like object using yarn that he uses to wrap around enemies.
The enemy will turn into a ball of yarn which Kirby can carry and throw at other enemies to defeat them or grab items. Kirby can also use this gimmick to pull down scenery such as walls to progress or scrunch up the scenery to make gaps shorter. There is also a multiplayer features which allows the second player to control Prince Fluff, a blue and royal version of Kirby.

Currently, not much is known about the plot of the game, other than that Kirby ends up getting sucked into a world inside of a magical sock, where he teams up with Prince Fluff, apparently a resident of the world, either to escape the sock or to defeat a villain, who may or may not be the character featured behind the open zipper on the game's boxart.

The game looks really fun and I looki forward to it. The only thing I don't lik eabout it is the ability to inhale enemies and copy their abilities. I always thought of that as Kirby's signature ability. Ah well.

And it'll be fun to play as a blue kirbyking :P

Also, @ that video... WHY AREN'T THEY MAKING THAT?! :(

I don't see a problem with the lack of inhaling enemies and getting their powers.
As long as they have some other way to keep the gameplay dynamic (the new abilities seem like good examples), it's fine.

Yeah, I get that, but the thing is I just have a pet peeve of characters no longer being able to do what they were able to do in previous games. :

Maybe to try something new instead of rehashing the Crystal Shards style.

Actually, it's looks more in a Super Star approach. (Hence the Get ability, get a partner) Actually, in this case two partners. And apparently, that was going to be released for GCN before it was changed into Kirby Air Ride (Notice the similar style of the Kirby here and the Kirby when he gets off the star in City Trial), but oh well. :S

All I'm really hoping for is that it's not too kiddish. (Kirby get's sucked into a Sock hint, hint.) Needs moar psycho disturbing Final Bosses.

Last edited:
Well that guy behind the zipper looks pretty psycho. He might be the final boss. Although I don't like some of the sound effect choices. They're recycling sounds from Melee/Brawl and apparently even the show (hence him saying "Poyo" when he jumps on an enemy while skateboarding). Other than that, this game looks fun. I think either I'll get it for my birthday or I'll save up. Hopefully the first one.

Needs moar psycho disturbing Final Bosses.

Darkzero.gif
150px-Marx_Soul%27s_death.jpg
Kirby%27s_Dream_Land_3_%28U%29006.png

Yeah, I don't think that's a problem.

At first I didn't like the style of this game. But then I got used to it. Its something new, refreshing. This is a definite downlo... er I mean BUY! The Wii is having a good end of year with Kirby,Goldeneye, and Smackdown vs Raw 2011 (even though the next gen versions will be better)

*Pictures*
Yeah, I don't think that's a problem.

One of the main reasons why I love the series.

Also, There might be a possibility that the Kirby Wii game thing might be moved to 3DS, but this is only rumors. I highly doubt it though.

Last edited:
I went to Gamestop and saw This as a Coming Soon Game.
October 17. A month before my Birthday. Just perfect.

This looks great and all, but it just makes me more curious about the [whythefuckdontwehavestrikethroughonthisforum]Gamecube[/whythefuckdontwehavestrikethroughonthisforum] Wii Kirby game. Where'd it go?

This looks great and all, but it just makes me more curious about the [whythefuckdontwehavestrikethroughonthisforum]Gamecube[Wedohaveastrikesystem] Wii Kirby game. Where'd it go?

Many people are saying that it got canceled. Nobody has heard of it since then.

Last edited:
This looks great and all, but it just makes me more curious about the [whythefuckdontwehavestrikethroughonthisforum]Gamecube[/whythefuckdontwehavestrikethroughonthisforum] Wii Kirby game. Where'd it go?

Somewhere else.

Though, I am curious of what happened to Kirby Wii/GC/Odyssey.

Same, that looks very cool. :<

I dunno, personally, I'm glad they're dropping that and going for this, instead. The Gamecube/Wii game probably would have been fun, yeah. Thing is, though, it wouldn't have been a whole lot different than Kirby 64, or even most other Kirby games aside from some prettier graphics.

That's why I'm glad they're trying something new for once. Even a series as awesome as Kirby tends to get kind of stale after a while if you don't mix it up.

I dunno, personally, I'm glad they're dropping that and going for this, instead. The Gamecube/Wii game probably would have been fun, yeah. Thing is, though, it wouldn't have been a whole lot different than Kirby 64, or even most other Kirby games aside from some prettier graphics.

That's why I'm glad they're trying something new for once. Even a series as awesome as Kirby tends to get kind of stale after a while if you don't mix it up.

Of course "new" and "mix it up" are the swear words for fans regarding their favorite long running franchises. Though it's all about how it was made and turned out that really counts in the end.

Digressing...
I saw some game play of this a few days back when I was lurking around Gamestop, and I can honestly say this is at least worthy of buying. Now lets hope we have good replay value for this.

Regarding the unknown Kirby Wii/GCN game, here's some info for you curious ones.

Kirby Wii (also referred to as Kirby: Legend of the Stars and Kirby Adventure) is the widely-used, unofficial title for a GameCube game that was canceled but later re-announced for the Wii. Nintendo has not released any further info about this game's status for a long period of time, as well as having removed the game's page from their website, however a press release from July 31, 2009 confirmed that the game is still in development. However, it is possible that the game is officially canceled, still in development, or replaced with the Wii game: Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Story: All that was revealed about the story is that King Dedede steals Kirby's Warp Star and Kirby is trying to get it back.

GamePlay: The game features a variation of the Helper System from Kirby Super Star where up to three helpers can be created at once, they can then be controlled by up to three players or be computer controlled.

A stacking system has also been revealed where Kirby and his helpers can ride on each other's back possibly creating new attacks.

This does seem pretty cool; I for one would like a 5th Dream Land, but hey what can ya do?

Anyway, now that you have some info on this thing, how about that Epic Yarn?

- A sorcerer named Yin-Yarn has turned everything into yarn
- Yin-Yarn has a tomato-like fruit on the top of his head
- Kirby attempts to eat this fruit, and Yin-Yarn sucks Kirby into a sock tied around his heck
- this transports Kirby into Patch Land
- Kirby meets Prince Fluff here
- Prince Fluff is being chased by a horned monster
- Kirby tries to suck the enemy up, but the air goes right through Kirby's now non-existent body
- Kirby morphs into a car and escapes with Prince Fluff
- double tap left or right to transform into a car
- this allows Kirby to jump higher and farther
- cannot attack while in car form
- lasso enemies with a piece of yarn by using the 1 button
- grab an enemy by holding 1, tap again to throw
- submarine Kirby happens when you jump into water
- Parachute Kirby happens when you jump and hold the 2 button
- Weight Kirby by jumping and pressing down
- use Weight Kirby to burst through certain floors
- a three-eyed monster tries to eat Prince Fluff, and when Kirby defeats him, you gain a piece of yarn that allows you to stitch parts of the world together
- Yin-Yarn broke the world into 7 parts
- you have to find all the pieces of magic yarn to stitch the world back together
- the first set of stages is 'Grass Land'
- Grass Land has a forest, a giant vine, an underground area and more
- The first level is called Fountain Gardens
- Fountain Gardens is where Kirby can transform into a tank
- there are level-specific transformations
- Rainbow Falls allows Kirby to transform into a surfboarding penguin
- Mole Hole allows Kirby to become a drilling machine
- diggable sections of the ground look like cotton
- two Grass Lands levels allow you to change into a UFO
- the UFO has a tractor beam to consume objects and enemies
- collect 3 items to become charged with electricity, and then fire an electrical attack across the whole screen
- you can visit new worlds before completing all the levels in a world
- Grass Land has two stages you don't have to do unless you want to
- these levels open up after you beat the dragon boss, Fangora
- plenty of secret areas
- three collectibles in each level
- collect beads strewn throughout levels
- beads seem to be related to health, as they pop out of Kirby if he's hit
http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=134163

Wow, a lot of information has been revealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back