Slopes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, if you think it can be done, go ahead and do it. But all I've heard over 12 years is just talk with no action.
Well, there have been a few WIP slopes in the past, but none of them have ever gotten anywhere significantly stable and with working physics.

Hahaha... you know that ZDoom's code isn't interchangeable with other source ports, right? He uses Duke3D's stuff, and that's how he can do slopes.

I'm just not seeing how you could coax the software renderer into drawing sloped terrain, short of rewriting it from scratch. I mean, if we were working exclusively with OpenGL, I could see it happening, but software already looks awkward when you tilt the camera at less-than-conservative angles; it's not really meant for anything other than Doom.

Hahaha... you know that ZDoom's code isn't interchangeable with other source ports, right? He uses Duke3D's stuff, and that's how he can do slopes.

So? I still want to see how zdoom does it, regardless of compatibility. Besides, You got polyobjects into SRB2 some how and Doom Legacy never even had them. Heck, for sometime before 2.0 was announced I though that Polyobjects were a Zdoom only thing.

*Starts looking for a C++ book*

You realise that physics code is probably some of the nastiest stuff to tackle right?
That's why it will be the last thing to tackle.
My plan:
Target 1: Render Slopes
Target 2: Collision if not obtained in step 1
Target 3: physics based off of my psudoslope physics experiments.
Target 4: more refined Slop Physics.

Last edited:
I wish you the best of luck glaber. I hope your crazy plan works. Because the nuts-and-bolts of SRB2, the slopes rendering of ZDooM, and the multiplayer infrastructure of Skulltag combined successfully can only lead to an epic win.

EDIT: *reads ZDooM slopes wiki article* This might not work as well as I hoped. First of all, all slope calculations are done at load-time, so no moving slopes. You need to mess around with scripting to make a basic slope. And in some cases you need to manually specify the height of each vertex to do what you want.

Last edited:
I though that Polyobjects were a Zdoom only thing.

There's a source port known as Eternity that flies under the radar. This is where I got the polyobjects from, and improved upon them. Eternity also has portals - I just never got around to doing those.

Having written a game with slopes, do you really think I don't know what I'm talking about?

Here's an idea. Instead of talking about meager pointless slopes, why don't you, oh I don't know, MAKE AN ACTUAL FREAKING LOOP!?

If it isn't possible, then just say so and don't get into the technical BS. Ok?

Here's an idea. Instead of talking about meager pointless slopes, why don't you, oh I don't know, MAKE AN ACTUAL FREAKING LOOP!?
Loops suck and are overrated. If you force the player onto a path, they're just cutscenes. If you don't, then players fall off the sides. If you fence the sides so players can't fall off, they're just not fun either (see Sonic R).

It's an example of a great mechanic in 2D gameplay not working in 3D.

Eternity also has portals - I just never got around to doing those.
pffftthahahahaha

Having written a game with slopes, do you really think I don't know what I'm talking about?
*Starts looking for a C++ book*

I have to wonder if there are people on Zdoom who think they can port legacy's/srb2's FOF code for the software render.

What exactly do you mean by portals?

Portal Portals...

Yeah, glaber, you're only just reading a C++ book and think you'll be able to pull off slopes? You're aiming too high, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, the best programmers in this community haven't pulled off slopes properly, and you haven't even started learning it...?

Also, SRB2 is in C, not C++.

Ah slopes... ah loops...

Key word "base", See also Start point. I believe that slope physics can be made based off of modified conveyor belt code.

A tad late but: a slope wouldn't work like a conveyor. A conveyor belt has a horizontal force that carries the mobj, while a slope itself doesn't have any force. What you see in Sonic Classic's slopes are friction and gravity working against player's movement.

Interestingly, people say that slopes and loops are doable but they don't say (or propose) the method of how the software will handle the slopes and how the software will detect collision between the mobj and the slopes' floor/ceiling.

Proposing slopes to be implemented without giving any feasible idea or method of how to do it properly is a tad pointless. If someone believes it's possible with current system, just be kind and give us a proof.

I saw that slopes can be rendered: nice; but with no collision: bad. It's like stepping on fake floor, I saw it. I could give ideas of a method for slopes as well, but... since I'm not totally sure of how the software detects the collision between the mobj and the floor in a map, I don't feel like doing so.

To be frank (if it was doable) simple wedge-like ramps are more than enough. Loops and other 3D meshed bodies would be too much eye-candy in SRB2.

Last edited:
There's a source port known as Eternity that flies under the radar. This is where I got the polyobjects from, and improved upon them. Eternity also has portals - I just never got around to doing those.

I guess I really don't know what I'm talking about. So I'll shut-up about slopes now.

*Quietly goes back to his corner.*

OK, I would love to get Eternity portals in SRB2. Mainly for control rooms that show another part of the level on a monitor.

Portals in srb2 would seem like a very good idea to me.
Great for making a boss with a path that looks like it never ends.

Apparently, Nev3r has made portals in SRB2 via SOCs. Sadly, I don't have that screenshot...

The point here is that portals can draw rooms where they're not "supposed" to be, not that you can teleport from one point of the map to the other. We can already do that.

NOTE-I only have about 70% understanding of this so just excuse me if what what i say is crap.
ok, what if you use the same method for changing gravity? Like sonic 06 did, but have them fall fast, not just stand at like 90º.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back