MD2s lighted from the right

Status
Not open for further replies.
After compiling the currently-latest version of the "Next" branch of the game (though with the "Colour Changing MD2s" merge request's two changed files included), I've noticed MD2 models in OpenGL are lighted from the right. The angle which is right-wards for the Thing, that is.

Here's an image of the issue. The "head" of the spring was given the solid colour 0 192 0, and the "spring" of the spring was given a gray gradient. You can easily see the issue on the head of the spring.
qY86ZuV.png
If an MD2 is applied to a Thing which always faces the camera (such as Rings or normal springs), the MD2 will face the camera while still lighted from the right, resulting in the light always coming from the player's/screen's left. (In the image above, I replaced a diagonal spring, so I could angle the model as I wanted.)

Personally, I feel like it would be better even if all models were lighted straight from the top and straight down-wards, but as it currently stands, models are lighted straight from the right and straight to the left, which looks really weird. If they're not going to be lighted straight from the top, I would appreciate if the lighting angle is regardless of the Thing's angle.

Note: As this is compiled from the "Next" branch of the game with the "Colour Changing MD2s" merge request included, I am not sure whether this also happens in the released 2.1.14, but I assume it does.

...I... should have thought of that when I made the bug report... So, three models affected by it, all made by me: -LINK-
And the MD2.Dat set-up I use for them, replacing Rings and both types of yellow Springs:
Code:
RING    RING.MD2 2 0
SPRY    SPRY.MD2 2 0
YSPR    YSPR.MD2 2 0
I made the models in Blender, exported as SMD, imported them into FragMotion, animated them as necessary, and exported as MD2. I know the normals of faces are the right way after being exported from Blender and also imported into FragMotion, but in honesty, I don't know if there's something wrong after being exported from FragMotion. I hope it's something fix-able.

The issue is actually with your models themselves. All of the vertices on your model are un-welded. (joined, combined, etc, depending on your modeling program.)

Your model under actual lighting would look like this
Tails.png

SRB2 seems to be unsure how to render it proper.

Last edited:
All of the vertices on your model are un-welded.
That seems very unlikely, considering that if a vertice of this or that part of the model would overlap when exporting from Blender, they would stitch together in FragMotion if I tried to move them apart, and the lighting of the model is smooth in FragMotion after importing the SMD, not flat... but if you say so, I believe it. Thanks. I'm off to try fixing that now, then. (Also, the images you posted seem to be "locked", as in un-viewable.)

-

Sorry for this apparently-false bug report. My bad.

Edit: ...Well, then. This seems to actually be an issue with FragMotion exporting the wrong normals in general. Apparently it works in Y-up, and rotates the model to be Z-up when exporting... but doesn't rotate the normals correctly. That's... like, a really huge shame.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back