So I'm curious about something regarding 2.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as we're talking about Super Sonic, can we change the method of activating it to be Jump + Spin (like the shield abilities) rather than Jump + Jump?

All these comments in this thread have been about wanting more characters to have a Super form, while I have the opposite problem. I hate playing as Super Sonic and deliberately avoid getting the last Chaos Emerald whenever I play through the game as Sonic. It's way too easy to accidentally activate otherwise.

First off, on the subject of the thok: I'd like to note that the problem I have with the thok is that it's problematic for new players learning how to play the game. I don't care about the power level here, and I wouldn't mind replacing it with something even more powerful if it meant that new players immediately grasped our game mechanics and were able to start having fun playing Sonic immediately without having to learn all the ins and outs of the thok.

An important thing to understand is that we're not really worried about the character balance in the same way a lot of players are. These are the priorities for the character abilities, in order:

1. The character is fun to play in single player.
  2. The character's abilities provide different approaches to hazards than other characters in single player.
  3. The character is not overpowered compared to the other characters in match and capture the flag.
The most important thing, above all else, above how good he is in match or how badly he wtf pwns some kid in race on GFZ1 is how much fun he is to play, offline in a single player game. This means that while we do care about how powerful the thok is, stuff like how awesome you feel when you use it properly and how hard it is for newbies to get the hang of it are more important. I love the thok and I assure you if we replace the thok on Sonic I'll find a way to get the thok in the game somewhere, even if it's something you have to unlock to assure newbies aren't presented with it immediately.

Another thing is that only giving sonic his super form and not the other two, just makes everyone in co-op netgames only use sonic to truly get the well deserved benefit of collecting the emeralds, which as a result just makes most of the co-op netgames I play almost the same thing: Play as Sonic and only Sonic; Get the emeralds; Kick ass with your overpowered recolour. So by not allowing Tails and Knuckles to enjoy the reward too, it pretty much just encourages everyone to play as Sonic, because let's be honest, we all wanna become super saiyan, especially since we earned it together so I would feel very entitled to have that reward.
We don't worry about cooperative at all when dealing with the balance of anything in the game. While we could remove super entirely for coop if the people who play it think it's that much of a problem, I've never heard of it being much of a problem outside of servers where people just cheat rings at the start of the map.

I think what most people dislike about this is that Sonic just gets an extra thing and Tails and Knuckles get nothing as compensation. Playing as Sonic is just the correct option. If there were an extra thing besides Super for Tails and Knuckles, I don't think anyone would have an issue. The problem is that Sonic just flat out gets more rewards for collecting the emeralds.
This is an option, but then the obvious question becomes "What could we give Tails or Knuckles that support their gameplay style instead of turning them into Sonic?"

Anyway, liberation without the struggle is just empty calories, easily mistaken for fun, because exploring that space is still going to be fun to some degree no matter how you're doing it- but it'd be more fun if you weren't cheesing your way past all those jumps that were meticulously crafted for Sonic.

So I can make the case for gliding and climbing not being fun all day, but if there's any way of proving that, I'd ask: How many players that actually have the skill to handle Sonic competently still prefer using Tails or Knuckles?
While there is a bit of truth here, I would like to note that in some cases, this is a different strokes for different folks thing. While a majority of the serious players of this game have preferred Sonic over the years, there is and always has been a dedicated minority who do prefer either Tails or Knuckles, and not just in the unskilled players. Some players simply do prefer less tension and like exploration more than action. I'd also like to note that as time has gone on I've been trying, albeit to limited success, to try to differentiate Tails and Knuckles a bit more in how we use them, with the addition of more Knuckles paths. Essentially, the end goal is:

• Sonic: Fast-paced platforming.
  • Tails: Casual exploration.
  • Knuckles: Methodical platforming with a side of exploration.
While obviously we haven't gotten here yet, but I do think the key to the character choice is to make sure that there is a difference in play style, not just a different in abilities. If you've played 2.1's AGZ and ATZ, that's the type of thing I want to do to Knuckles for a lot of the game. Given areas that test Knuckles's abilities and bring his limitations to the forefront, Knuckles can be quite interesting to play, even for those who care about tension in their platforming. We just have to be smart about it.

All these comments in this thread have been about wanting more characters to have a Super form, while I have the opposite problem. I hate playing as Super Sonic and deliberately avoid getting the last Chaos Emerald whenever I play through the game as Sonic. It's way too easy to accidentally activate otherwise.
This is the reason why shields block the activation, like S3K. I often feel that way as well and like being able to block it when I don't want to activate it. I do think it's important for it to be something players will activate on their own, though, which is why I don't want it on jump-spin, because then we'd have to explicitly tell players how to do it.

While we could remove super entirely for coop if the people who play it think it's that much of a problem, I've never heard of it being much of a problem outside of servers where people just cheat rings at the start of the map.

Well, I should note that as of 2.1 people can't even use "setrings" or similar cheats in multiplayer anymore, they're now exclusive to Single player's DEVMODE. So it's even less a problem than it used to be I guess?

This is an option, but then the obvious question becomes "What could we give Tails or Knuckles that support their gameplay style instead of turning them into Sonic?"

I've mentioned this idea once or twice on #srb2fun recently, having thought about the issue of Super myself: what if Tails and Knuckles instead got a special "super" shield that costs 25 or 50 rings to equip (read: you lose the rings straight away through double-jump or something), without any of the usual ring draining stuff with Super Sonic? That way the gameplay of Tails and Knuckles shouldn't be reduced to a frantic speedy ring-collecting frenzy like with Super Sonic himself at least.

...as for what the shield itself could do, I'm not entirely sure yet. Some sort of invincibility + speed sneakers combo? Something combining the effects of the normal shields together?

Then again, I don't know how good an idea all that would be in practice, lol.

First off, on the subject of the thok: I'd like to note that the problem I have with the thok is that it's problematic for new players learning how to play the game.
As a New player i found it hard to use , Especially because i used to play Sonic games as Sonic with a "Weaker" Jumpdash that makes it Somewhat easy to Control or Use (Sonic Heroes for instance) .

Maybe you need to play Sonic 3 and Knuckles again. When was the last time you did that anyway? When Knuckles got super, he did not become sonic. He still retained his lower jump, but he got a faster glide and faster climb speed. Essentially Super Knuckles is a faster Knuckles.

Super Tails, while technically a Hyper form, is also just a faster Tails with automatic bird shaped homing missels.

Super Sonic already has hover So I don't see any problem with just making Tails and Knuckles faster without adjusting their jumps.

(invulnerably has been taken as a given)

I do think it's important for it to be something players will activate on their own, though, which is why I don't want it on jump-spin, because then we'd have to explicitly tell players how to do it.

That's fair. How about a toggle buried deep in the controls settings that switches the behavior between double jump and jump-spin?

These posts from this thread alone should indicate we're not doing anything of the sort. SRB2 may take some elements from S3&K, yes, but it's still its own game rather than a blatant clone of S3&K.

Alright thats fine but it would be awesome to see a S3&K game.

Maybe you need to play Sonic 3 and Knuckles again. When was the last time you did that anyway? When Knuckles got super, he did not become sonic. He still retained his lower jump, but he got a faster glide and faster climb speed. Essentially Super Knuckles is a faster Knuckles.

Super Tails, while technically a Hyper form, is also just a faster Tails with automatic bird shaped homing missels.

Super Sonic already has hover So I don't see any problem with just making Tails and Knuckles faster without adjusting their jumps.

(invulnerably has been taken as a given)

Moreover, removing some of their extra abilities to balance them.

Tails: get rid of the infinite flying, and whirlwind jump

Knuckles: remove his multi gliding, and high jump "which it has been explain early"

moreover, removing some of their extra abilities to balance them.

Tails: Get rid of the infinite flying, and whirlwind jump

knuckles: Remove his multi gliding, and high jump "which it has been explain early"

tails has a whirlwind jump whilst super?!

These are straight-up my thoughts exactly. The characters in S3&K did not lose their character when they went super. They were exactly what was said In this quote. Just knuckles but faster. Yes, Sonic is about about speed, but every other character in the Sonic universe has had speed in mind as well, even in the classics. Giving them a slight boost for collecting the emeralds is going to hurt no one.

Super Tails is actually pretty cool to play as because he has that ridiculous horizontal flight maneuverability.

My main problem with the current setup is that there's no point in getting the emeralds with Tails or Knuckles because now their special stage experience is exactly the same as with Sonic. With the 1.x.x special stages, every character still had their special abilities, so there was a reason to try them out even if you couldn't turn super.

This is kinda my point. Super Tails/Knuckles are just a boring speed increase that makes them all play similarly, even with their special abilities being available. Sonic gets his own sprite and the change is really meaningful. Tails and Knuckles just get the shaft. This old clip basically sums up my opinion on how S3K with emeralds feels to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8I9pYCl9AQ

My main problem with the current setup is that there's no point in getting the emeralds with Tails or Knuckles because now their special stage experience is exactly the same as with Sonic. With the 1.x.x special stages, every character still had their special abilities, so there was a reason to try them out even if you couldn't turn super.
I guess my main point is that I really don't want to force players to do everything three times if they don't want to. If you don't think collecting the emeralds a second or third time is worth it, don't do it. It's all about doing whatever's fun for you, not forcing players to do the same thing a thousand times for some stupid achievement.

Back in 2.0 I generally ignored the special stages as Tails and Knuckles because I only needed to do them once, and the special stages weren't very interesting. In 2.1 I enjoy the special stages for their own sake so I generally replay them anyways even without the reward. Do whatever floats your boat.

Eh, I guess my perspective is of someone who got the emeralds for all three characters on my save files for completionist's sake. Felt a little more worthwhile when you could fly or thok in a special stage.

As for the super forms themselves, I would only give one to Knuckles if his gameplay suddenly became harder (like because of him getting harder bosses and alternate paths a la S&K), Tails is whatever but I still think it's kinda fun lol.

This is kinda my point. Super Tails/Knuckles are just a boring speed increase that makes them all play similarly, even with their special abilities being available. Sonic gets his own sprite and the change is really meaningful. Tails and Knuckles just get the shaft. This old clip basically sums up my opinion on how S3K with emeralds feels to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8I9pYCl9AQ

I guess my main point is that I really don't want to force players to do everything three times if they don't want to. If you don't think collecting the emeralds a second or third time is worth it, don't do it. It's all about doing whatever's fun for you, not forcing players to do the same thing a thousand times for some stupid achievement.

Back in 2.0 I generally ignored the special stages as Tails and Knuckles because I only needed to do them once, and the special stages weren't very interesting. In 2.1 I enjoy the special stages for their own sake so I generally replay them anyways even without the reward. Do whatever floats your boat.

So only have the achievement/emblem trigger for getting the emeralds the first time. The other times can just give the player the character's super forms without triggering an emblem.

My Perspective is of someone who has played practically all the official Sonic games (missing only a select few) and actually tries for all the emeralds with all characters. I actually go out of my way to get all the emeralds regardless of there being a reward but prefer there to at least be super available when the total is 7. 6 or less and it doesn't matter as much unless it affects the ending.

Right now SRB2 resembles a Dreamcast era Sonic game where in only sonic gets to go super and no one else who collects the emeralds can. As some one who played though that era I was disappointed at how even Sega, and Dimps, handled the whole thing about super characters. I'm quite sure I'm not the only one who was disappointed about not getting Super Knuckles or super Amy in Sonic Advance.

The three characters should share the same super abilities (Invulnerability and Speed) However each one of them should get An extra ability that makes it different from the Rest like for Instance Sonic would gain Hover and a Stronger Jumpdash, tails Gets a Faster flying and Swimming speed and Knuckles gets Faster Gliding and Climbing speed .

* Knuckles Gliding speed was already Fast, I Suggest reducing it's speed .
* Sonic's Jumpdash is strong in a Bad way and makes controlling it somewhat hard, Reduce it's Strength
* Tails is Just perfect, He just needs some swimming Sprites .

That would give each character a unique style and Keep the easiness and balance .

Last edited:
Right now SRB2 resembles a Dreamcast era Sonic game where in only sonic gets to go super and no one else who collects the emeralds can.
You never even collected emeralds in the Dreamcast games. They were spoonfed to you by the storyline. Super Sonic in those games were nothing more than a plot element, so that isn't even related to the current discussion.

Quite frankly, I think a fair compromise for giving the emeralds some use as Tails and Knuckles could be to tweak how unlocking the super/hyper levels works, so that you only get to use whatever characters you've beaten the game with all emeralds with (or beaten the previous level with, in the case of... every level that isn't the first). That way you aren't playing the challenge stages with characters that you haven't gotten used to playing through the main game as yet, and it also gives a small reward for getting all emeralds with someone who isn't Sonic. As far as opening up content goes, you don't really earn anything aside from possibly a couple of alternate paths by going through the trouble, so you wouldn't be missing out on much if you didn't wanna tackle it.

I do think a bit of character variance in the special stages would be nice if we wanted to encourage that process, though. Maybe slight stat differences or something? Like, make Sonic faster but less controllable, Tails slower but more controllable, and Knuckles the middle ground or something, idk.

We also need endings and alternate endings. Those are nice.

You never even collected emeralds in the Dreamcast games. They were spoonfed to you by the storyline. Super Sonic in those games were nothing more than a plot element, so that isn't even related to the current discussion.
I'm using the definition of "Dreamcast-era" from Sonic Generations witch would include even Sonic Heroes, and by assoiation, all the GBA titles where you did collect the emeralds.

While sonic adventure 1 and 2 did just give you the emeralds as part of the plot, the other games in the era did not.

Last edited:
While sonic adventure 1 and 2 did just give you the emeralds as part of the plot, the other games in the era did not.
While the Advance games didn't give them to you outright, they treated them the same way. In Adventure and Advance, you can't go super in gameplay, and you only go super for the final boss.

We essentially are going for Sonic 2's design, where Sonic gets it but Tails doesn't. This is essentially the middle option between S3K where everyone's super so no one is and SA* where it's for the final boss only.

That's fine as long as Knuckles wasn't meant to be part of the plan in the first place, or ever (regular knuckles, not super), but SRB2 has Knuckles and in Knuckles in Sonic 2, Knuckles could still go super during game play.

Last edited:
Yes, and I've stated before that Knuckles in Sonic 2 is essentially using S&K's rules, not Sonic 2's. S&K and both lock-ons allow every character to go super. Sonic 2 does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back