• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2 Music Remaster Project

DEEP SEA ACT 2
Kind of like with act 1, this grew on me the more I listened. That being said, the lead melody's instrument is hard to hear most of the time, and if I'd not heard the original song before, I'd probably have a difficult time feeling the melody out in a casual listen. Beyond that, though, I REALLY like what you did with the last section of the song! The changes in the percussion line coupled with the piano solo work super well.

CASTLE EGGMAN ACT 1
This one is pretty good! The instrumentation fits the song well, probably better than the original's. The only thing I'd consider is that the kettledrums at the beginning feel a bit loud, though rest of the song grows over time to match the kettledrums' volume. Maybe tone them down towards the start?

CASTLE EGGMAN ACT 2
I like what you did with the more synth-y direction in the instruments, here. Nothing else to really comment about.

BOSS
This is a fine arrangement, but I feel like the original song had more punch in its instrumentation. The wicky-wicky guitar sounds are a nice touch, but I feel iffy on the opening melodies. I can't really describe it as anything but cheesy background music from 90's TV because of the sparkliness of the instruments and how they decay so slowly.

I'm not sure if you'd be interested in these, but you've already remastered Rocky Mountain 1, which was a beta song, so I figured I'd leave these here.

I found these while lurking in Demo 3's files. I've included links to the ones that don't seem like they're included in 2.1 anymore.

A Old But-Not-Quite-As-Old-As-the-TGF Opening Theme (It's just an extended version of the title theme.)
Rocky Mountain 2 (It seems to just be a slower version of Act 1)
Mine Maze 1 (I don't remember this being in the 2.1 music.dta, so I've included it in case)
Mine Maze 2 (I don't think this is in any version but Demo 3.)
Dark City 2 (I also think this is only in Demo 3.)
Doomship 2 (The Doomship Zone song in 2.1 is similar to act 1, but has the opening from this song. The original act 1 didn't, though. Other than that, Doomship 1's the same as it is in 2.1's music.dta, so I didn't include it.)
Robotnirock 2 (Has a part in it that sounds like it was used in ERZ1, thought it was interesting.)
Unknown Zone 1
Unknown Zone 2 (Last two don't sound familiar; the first sounds like an old final boss, and the second sounds like a ending theme)

Also in the files are midi's of Oil Ocean, Hidden Palace, and Knuckles' Speed Highway, and a picture of SSNTails' dog.

Nice find. I'm primarily focused on replacing tracks that are already in the files rather than adding new ones, but I'll use those as reference in case I need ideas.

Why did you change half of the chord progression? The original song was strong for not not emphasizing the major 5 chord and limiting the leading tone to being used in the bassline as a passing tone. Even the guitar solo goes to great lengths to not use the raised seventh tone. The entire song was essentially written in the Aeolian mode (natural minor scale with no changes), and by giving the song the major 4 and 5 chords you're really weakening that sound.

SUPERQUICK EDIT: I realize the early Egg Rock tune probably had a similar chord progression. However, it really doesn't work in tandem with the Aeolian progression from the newer Egg Rock theme.

This is what I expected coming into this topic initially, if only because of your comment in the soundtrack thread about rewriting Deep Sea to be in a major key. This is a BIG change to the original song that's totally unnecessary and only serves to make the song stand out less, despite what you'd think from the stronger cadences.

That being said, the rest of it is fine. If you'd left the original chord progression in and modified your additions to suit (no more raised sevenths), it would all work pretty well while still being true to the original song. It's nice that you actually tried to extend the song so that the solo is in a fitting location. I was originally thinking you'd try to make the melody less solo-y and include it earlier on in the song, so that the guitar solo feels like an extension of the existing song, rather than coming out as a new piece entirely. I think that would have been neat, but this works as well.

Seriously though. Consider reversing the changes to the chord progression. It really makes everything that's before the solo (exception to the bassline) feel like your own song and not Egg Rock.

I should clarify that this song was primarily aimed to be a replacement to tune 87 (Old ERZ1). It would have ended at 1:18, but IRC folk recommended I extend the tune, which is why it has the entirety of ERZ1 at the end.

Last edited:
Well, these are just brilliant.. I can't stop listening to the Greenflower Hill remastering~ ;D

And so, Opinionerizing time.. though note that I have barely any music knowledge, so don't expect me to know how to word my opinions~ ;D (Also it's 2am so yeah barely thinking time activate)

( In order that I found them on this topic )
Greenflower Zone 1 - Probably my favourite track here. It feels much better as the theme for a tutorial stage, and generally feels more jollier than GFZ1.. which is what it should be, really. (Even if it's technically the ruins of a now-destroyed city) Kinda wish all the tracks were remastered like this ;D
Deep Sea Zone 1 - I'm sort of 50/50 on this one. I'm not sure why, however. Perhaps it's the complete mood shift in the loop? I'unno.
Arid Canyon Zone 2 - Seems more like ACZ1 to me, but eh. This one reminds me a lot of Roly Poly Putt's remix actually. Although I don't feel like it caught the "mood" that the original Arid Canyon themes got.. hm.
Red Volcano Zone 1 - This sounds a BIT too "jolly" for what is supposed to be a difficult volcano level, haha. I will note that the loop does feel a bit short.. though that's an issue I have with the vanilla RVZ1 too.
Red Volcano Zone 2 - Feels more like a boss theme, really. Although it does feel a lot more "urgent", I'll give you that ;D
( Egg Rock Core not rated cause I don't even like that theme to begin with )
Special Stage Original - Sounds pretty good! Though I do wonder what's with that weird background tune behind the main tune of the song.
Rocky Mountain Zone - Somehow, I imagine this as a "Bonus Stage" theme (Think Sonic 3) more than anything. Pretty good, though.
Super Sneakers - The perfect theme to accidentally run into walls to~ ;D
Super Sonic - Okay, this is brilliant. It does remind me of a cheesy situation where the main characters are all powered up ready to beat the Big Bad and save the world. . . Kinda fitting considering you're COMPLETELY INVINCIBLE when using it.
Deep Sea Zone 2 - .. Was DSZ2 always this fast paced? Considering how slow the level actually is, perhaps slow it down a bit. Liking the piano bit near 1:30 though! ;o
Castle Eggman Zone 1 - What's with the higher-pitched instrument? I dunno.. it just kinda feels "off" to me with the main instrument that high-pitched.
Castle Eggman Zone 2 - Seems more like a dance or space room than a castle, really. Heh.
Boss Theme - This feels more fitting than the original, if only because the bosses are too easy. This song feels like the remix that plays when YOU'RE the one winning.. which is basically all the time so yeah.
Egg Rock Remix - This is hilarious. I love this track, but I don't think it fits a difficult level. ;D It's too.. dancey. It feels like the final level in the cheesy Super Sonic situation described above. . . you've already started to win, now to finish off the job!

Now to listen to GFZ1 over and over because wow
</2am>

Unknown Zone 2 (Last two don't sound familiar; the first sounds like an old final boss, and the second sounds like a ending theme)

Looking back at this, does anyone know if this originated from some other game or if it's an original?

If it's original, it may very well have been intended as an ending theme. I might try my hand at a remaster some time.

Haha, nice.

I'm almost certain someone was planning on using this as an ending theme as a throwback to the history behind Sonic 2's ending theme.

Nice, this was the last one I was waiting for to use in my level pack (i'm using GFZ, DSZ and RVZ as luck would have it).

I hope you get round to arid canyon 1 at some point too, if only because using the original ACZ1 alongside your take on ACZ2 just feels... off.

Music WAD Download Link?

Can you create a new download link of the WAD file with all of the current remastered music?

I'll do so sometime this week. I want to add a couple jingles and make some modifications before I start looppointing everything again.

Haha, nice.

I'm almost certain someone was planning on using this as an ending theme as a throwback to the history behind Sonic 2's ending theme.

Nope, Wood Zone.

'Unknown 1' is a track of my own composing. title is BOSSY.MID, but really didn't have a purpose in mind for it.

Even Older Opening is for intermissions (ala Doom 2)

I really love a lot of these tunes, Blue!
You've done a good job, but you still have a long way to go.
I can't wait to see the THZ remastered tunes.
If this gets finished, I would love to see these in the next update of SRB2. (Hintdevelopershintcoughhinthintcough)

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back