• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Mystical Heavens level pack UPDATE JFZ1v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
You call that a lot? You only put one block in.

Please, please, PLEASE read the Level Design 101.

I added a lot later on in the second level but you can't get to it because of the bridge that I can't figure out how to work. I do everything to create an FOF, but it just doesn't want to work!
Here's a screenshot of the sectors window:
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=hwommydmjz0&thumb=4
And one of the lines window:
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=jyxumywnwtm&thumb=4
Is anything wrong with the info in these windows?

Last edited:
Right, I'm here, played it and here comes the feedback.

1st Level: 0/10, very small, infact it's not even a level. It's more of a starting area (I'm talking about the entire thing) it's completely glitched up, very bland, cramped, and no gimmicks at all.

2nd Level: 0/10 glitchy, bland and unplayable. That's all I can say about this.

You really need to study hard if you are ever going to be a game designer in the future. I really would recommend reading Level Design 101. It really does help

I really would recommend reading Level Design 101. It really does help

Please, please, PLEASE read the Level Design 101.

I would highly suggest reading Level Design 101. It should help you understand what goes into making a good level. We used to have a more complete one, but I don't know where it went.

EDIT: Also, I wouldn't suggest trying to do such a large level pack while you're still learning the basics of how to build a level. Just take it one map at a time.

OK, it's obvious that you haven't read this. Please do it before you continue your levels.

I have read it, but it doesn't explain everything. But this is better.

Last edited:
I have read it, but it doesn't explain everything. But this is better.
1. Then why don't you listen to what it said? You levels consist ONLY of flat space with nothing in it.
2. Level Design 101 is ONLY for artistic aspects. It isn't DESIGNED to tell you how to create a map. But it still is very important.
3. The tutorial you have there is for Doom Builder. You should use a tutorial for SRB2 Doom Builder. Like this one.
4. The tutorial you use is outdated. The number for linedef actions and sector effects have changed since.

So basically, READ AND UNDERSTAND Level Design 101. Then, READ AND UNDERSTAND SRB2 Doom Builder Tutorial. Then, HAVE AN IDEA FOR A MAP. This is really important. YOu can't create a level out of nothing. You really need to know what theme you want to use, what gimmicks it should have etc BEFORE actually making he map.

EDIT: This might sound pathetic coming from someone who hasn't even made a single map. But note that I didn't make one because I didn't have any level ideas. If I had some, I would start making a map right away. But I don't, so I don't even try.

Last edited:
1. Then why don't you listen to what it said? You levels consist ONLY of flat space with nothing in it.
2. Level Design 101 is ONLY for artistic aspects. It isn't DESIGNED to tell you how to create a map. But it still is very important.
3. The tutorial you have there is for Doom Builder. You should use a tutorial for SRB2 Doom Builder. Like this one.

I believe it is for SRB2; look at the page title.

So basically, READ AND UNDERSTAND Level Design 101. Then, READ AND UNDERSTAND SRB2 Doom Builder Tutorial. Then, HAVE AN IDEA FOR A MAP. This is really important. YOu can't create a level out of nothing. You really need to know what theme you want to use, what gimmicks it should have etc BEFORE actually making he map.

Well, yes, I see what you mean, but I do have ideas for my levels, and they do follow the guidelines laid out in LD 101, but I guess I just haven't gotten to that part yet. However, in Jadeflower 2, where there's a Hall of Mirrors effect, that's a problem I've been having with control sectors; there's a lot more to the level.

Last edited:
It is basically the same program. The only difference is a couple of srb2 specific things like FOFs showing in 3D mode and allowing to select 4 different sector specials on one sector. If you follow the DB tutorial you should be alright you will just have to watch out for textures that had their names changed, and linedef types that had their numbers changed.

If you really want a SRB2 DB tutorial then http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/SRB2_Doom_Builder_Tutorial should be fine. There are some things that might need to be updated on there as well. You might not use all the things taught in that tutorial. I think the stairs converter is somewhat broken, so don't worry about that.

Last edited:
TELEPORT THING!! Help please! Need it before I can complete Jadeflower 2! By the way, I now have a boss section for JFZ2(if you want to know where it is, just ask, or open it up in DB).

TELEPORT THING!! Help please! Need it before I can complete Jadeflower 2! By the way, I now have a boss section for JFZ2(if you want to know where it is, just ask, or open it up in DB).
http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Linedef_Type_412 This should explain it. If you do have any questions, just ask.

Also, why do you have a boss in the second act? Usually, act 3 is dedicated just for the boss. You don't have to do the same, though.

Also, why do you have a boss in the second act? Usually, act 3 is dedicated just for the boss. You don't have to do the same, though.

It's like Blue Heaven in that respect(where there's a teleporter that takes you from the end of act 2 to the boss fight), but like The Mystic Realm in that it has Mystical Shrines that, when activated take you to an emerald stage. That's why this level pack is called Mystical Heavens!

It's like Blue Heaven in that respect(where there's a teleporter that takes you from the end of act 2 to the boss fight), but like The Mystic Realm in that it has Mystical Shrines that, when activated take you to an emerald stage. That's why this level pack is called Mystical Heavens!
How original! Seriously, I forgot that you actually were inspired by Mystic Realm and Blue Heaven, hence the name. Also, Jadeflower. Pretty obvious.

How original! Seriously, I forgot that you actually were inspired by Mystic Realm and Blue Heaven, hence the name. Also, Jadeflower. Pretty obvious.

Have you tried noclipping through the Hall of Mirrors? I have actually added more to JFZ 2, and have added part of Twisted Paradise 1, but you have to map map03 to get there.

Last edited:
Have you tried noclipping through the Hall of Mirrors? I have actually added more to JFZ 2, and have added part of Twisted Paradise 1.
Oh, I didn't know that. I'll try it out.

EDIT: Unfortunately, it is flat and empty. There's really NOTHING in it. Some parts are also cramped, open them up a bit. AND WHAT ARE THESE SRB1 CRAWLAS DOING HERE?

Last edited:
Can someone open up my wad and try to figure out WHY my bridge in map02 is not working correctly(It's what's causing the hall of mirrors)? It's sector 96.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back