Hidden Sanctuary

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gameplay is kind of messed up, the flow is strange in places, and the scenery does get in the way of the level. You tried too hard to make the level look good, but it has to play good too.

OK, this is the kind of criticism that I was looking for. Any suggestions of how to make the level better? I think I have an idea of which parts lacked flow, but I need some tips on how to improve it.

The second room at the beggining had a small hole that you had to go through to get to the main path, I didn't like that. The teleports to the houses confused me for a few seconds, perhaps you should make those bigger? One more thing, your bridges are pegged, but you need invisible FOFs near the edges so the railings stop you.

Errors FIX list and Waterfalls...

Yeah, I haven't fixed much of the level, but here is the list:
  • Some water FOFs (particularly waterfalls) lacked colormaps. Colormaps for those FOFs were added.
    A bridge rail texture alignment has been performed. The rail was hovering above the bridge by a few units.
    The map contained many unclosed sectors. Those were fixed.
    The map contained many linedef errors. Those were fixed.

Ice, I didn't NOT intervene with the 'thokking through the wall' issue. I just fixed the errors mentioned by DBs 'Check Map for Errors' feature and any appearance issue.
In regards to the waterfalls, I can't seem to tell what's wrong with them. Here are some possibilities:
  • If the texture is bugging some people, Ice, replace the waterfall texture (currently GFALL3) to CFALL1. GFALL1 is usually best if used for low waterfalls. CFALL1 is generally used for normal waterfalls.
    Some waterfalls aren't translucent (tags 12, 13, 72). I don't think this is the issue, however. But, because the main water FOF (river) is translucent, I guess a translucent waterfall will match it well.
    Control sectors 147 and 150 and 152 contain a lower waterfall texture. For control sectors, the middle texture of the 'impassible' linedef is used mainly (excluding special lindef effects e.g. 16). Perhaps the lower texture is messing with the overall texture of the waterfall.
Hey, Ice, I'll say this again. Nice level =P. In addition, I'll repeat what BlueZero4 has said. The scenery did not get in the way of the level. Also, how can scenery ruin game experience? It's supposed to make the level more enjoyable. Too little scenery? Nobody will like the level much. How about a 'just right amount of scenery?' How can you do that? We all have different thoughts, and if there is too much scenery, then the level should lag. That's when the complaint could be brought up, The Dark Fox. A level can only have too much scenery when there is nowhere to run due to too many things blocking the player's way, or when the level lags way too much. Also, the level has enough flow. It's only the beginning of the level that can just widen up a bit...
The Dark Fox (Page 2) said:
Too much scenery, not enough fun and speed.
The new acts idea is great! It will be exciting to await another level coming from Ice. However, it will be even more exciting for the new Single Player levels in the new version, 1.1. I hope you all have the same feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back