• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2 Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

heroofrock

Back, and 20% better!
Ok, so I got bored and tried making this. The point is that this is a circular MP map made solely for the purpose of Matches. It will incorporate typical map features (FoFs, special rings, etc) and more, but you have to wait for the final beta to find out.

Screeshot:
srb20001.png

Update:
The map has been submitted as an alpha first.

So yeah, that is pretty much it. If you have any support tips for me or any questions, leave a post, and I will look at them when I get a chance.

Thank you!

EDIT:I forgot to mention that I am NOT using the SRB2 doom builder. It is the original Doom Builder.

Last edited:
I've never seen you, so I have no doubt that this is your first level and you begin the level creation.
It's a MATCH level, is not it ? If you want my opinion, I could see all players at any time. Indeed, there is a large empty sector ... , throwing Rails becomes fun.
Anyway.

An arena. I need other places to move, like "wings"..."lodges"..."boxes" in the walls (excuse my bad English, I don't know how to say these places where fighters can relax between two sport battle...as the Lodges in the arena of boxing, you see what I mean ?)
But it is imperative to have another place somewhere, which is separated by walls. Because in a giant sector, we can not escape. We must always look in all directions to dodge ennemies.

And you will see that it is very difficult to put the items correctly, because ... there is only a great void.
Meadow Match looks empty, but in fact .. not. It's magic ? No. It is thought strategically.

Last thing. I've never seen a ring which doesn't want to go lowest . Make a right-click it and select the same options as those circled in red below.

hinatahelp.png
I ask something which is important : you use DOOM BUILDER or you use SRB2 DOOM BUILDER ? There is a very big difference.

Looks way too open for railing, no obstacles...
Just one big room...
No obstacles...
Probably a red spring is the only thing to get Sonic out of the "arena", which means he'll be a helpless target...
No decorations, same textures, not very eye appealing...
Derp.

You guys should read again:

It will incorporate typical map features (FoFs, special rings, etc) and more, but you have to wait for the final beta to find out.

The arena is empty because it's barely even started. No idea why he already made a topic for it if it's in such an early phase, but it's not gonna stay as empty.

I agree with what SpiritCrusher said.

I pretty much have nothing whatsoever to say about this map so far, other than what it looks like...which is big, circular, and bland.

Last thing. I've never seen a ring which doesn't want to go lowest . Make a right-click it and select the same options as those circled in red below.

hinatahelp.png
I ask something which is important : you use DOOM BUILDER or you use SRB2 DOOM BUILDER ? There is a very big difference.

Uh, you don't need that first thing flag, "Unused Flag".

Funnily enough, it's literally not used at all for just about all map things besides the NiGHTS Bumper, hence its usual name. (right?)

Last edited:
Uh, you don't need that first thing flag, "Unused Flag".

Funnily enough, it's literally not used at all for just about all map things besides the NiGHTS Bumper, hence its usual name.
This is hangover from back when flags 0-2 used to be the difficulty flags and the Ambush and Multi flags were the only flags a thing could check for special behavior. Starting in 2.0 the Object Flip flag is the only real consistent flag and every other thing uses whatever it feels like, usually still using Ambush and Multi because nobody bothered changing it.

Really, Object Flip should be 0 and then things which need special behavior would start using flags from 1 going up. All the unnecessary flags would then be used for the Z offset, allowing for object heights much greater than 4095 units above ground.

What also doesn't make sense is having rings default to not floating -- 95% of all rings in any map have it set because rings are much more commonly hovering just above the ground, with the float flag only being unchecked to make more intricate placement such as formations in the air easier to figure out.

But this is all a bit too late and would require a 3.0 which would again break compatibility with all existing wads. I just wish SOMEBODY had thought about it during the 3+ years of 1.09.4's life.

Quote doomdata.h:
Code:
// Unused object flag.
#define MTF_UNUSED 1

// Reverse gravity flag for objects.
#define MTF_OBJECTFLIP 2

// Special flag used with certain objects.
#define MTF_OBJECTSPECIAL 4

// Deaf monsters/do not react to sound.
#define MTF_AMBUSH 8

// Do not use bit five or after, as they are used for object z-offsets.

EDIT: Wait, Ambush still works for enemies, doesn't it? So that is also a consistent flag, at least for a large group of objects.

Last edited:
Suggestions!

Im looking foward to this mod if it converts in anything that is worth of downloading. By judging the screenshots, this needs a lot more work, but it is in a pretty early stage. Now, what you really want, SUGGESTIONS!
Add audience
. They could serve as a pretty good detail.
Put rings in the big oval. The big oval, or the actual zone of the colosseum, will be probably the zone in where every one will fight. So, putting rings here would help players fight.
DONT ADD RAIL RINGS/REFLECTION RINGS. No explanation for this one....well, everyone would flood the place with rail rings/reflection rings and kill everyone.
Add secrets. To actually have sense to explore a big, desert, random big oval......or maybe the audience zone.

Well, thats it. The ring problem................ummmm....I haven't never made an stage...so i don't know how to solve it.

EDIT: Wait, Ambush still works for enemies, doesn't it? So that is also a consistent flag, at least for a large group of objects.

As far as I know, Ambush does stuff only with the Jetty-Syn sand Buzzes specifically of the enemies, which is simply stopping them from moving at all.

EDIT: Actually, I've suspected that Ambush was supposed to stop the Robo-Hoods from jumping as well, from looking in the code for A_HoodThink, but ithe flag doesn't seem to do this (or anything else, for that matter) at all in-game. =x

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back