Nostalgic Memories: Dynamite Headdy (Sega MD/GG)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapheros

Hiyo all. Dynamite Headdy, is a game that came out in 1994/1995 for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive and the Sega Game Gear. Developed by Treasure, who are also responsible for games like Gunstar Heroes. From the amazing underrated soundtrack, to the 'interesting' visuals, to the most basic but unique type of gameplay. Dynamite Headdy surely is a 'Treasure' indeed. (Luckily you can find it on the virtual console for the Wii, so trying it out can still cost some money.)

My experience is apparently on the Genesis version. My mother's Game Gear collection has a physical copy of Dynamite Headdy, but I never remember playing it. However, I have actually played the Genesis version, on the very old version of GameTap (I also got to play Knuckles Chaotix and Ristar through this). As far as I can remember, I only remember making it to a boss fight where a brown cat-bear-thing named 'Trouble Bruin' (Maruyama in Japan) was swinging me around in a hallway and constantly shooting me. Anything past that is fuzzy.

Looking back on it, I missed out on a hella lot, like that two faced boss fight that is the hardest boss fight in the game, or the boss fight where a baby's head splits apart into a man's head... Um... Yeah, definitely gonna try this out on an emulator in the future.

Have any thoughts? Share them! I'm sure someone had a Genesis in their life, or at least played this other than Sonic sometimes.

I remember playing this on the Wii's virtual console. Great game. I actually took a lot of interest in the Japanese version, as the EU/USA versions of the game were heavily localized. While the localizations did make some graphical improvements, it stripped the game almost entirely of its dialogue (as well as significantly changing the ending) and amped up the difficulty. I would recommend looking for the Japanese version if you're interested in the game's storyline; if you dig emulation, there should be a translated version of the Japanese ROM online somewhere.

Last edited:
I love the style of this game- it's probably what Littlebigplanet would have looked like if it was released around this time.

And, yeah, it's unnecessarily harder in the US version. Fantastic game though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back