Suggestions

Would it possible to create a Lua function that lets you switch the game palette?

He probably meant something like the PALETTE option on map headers, so it lasts until the end of the level. Last time I've tested, it doesn't show up on GIFs. It also needs a duration, so you'd need to call it every tic.

Yeah, MPC has it, sure you could edit the default PLAYPAL so the custom palette is in one of the unused slots. Then use P_FlashPal to set it, but that's kinda hacky, and a function that sets the palette like the map header option would be nice.

Any chance that we can get some way to reference HUD variables in Lua? For instance, I can't check to see if the HUD is disabled unless I set up a local or wrapper or whatever, and this makes cross compatibility with other mods a real pain in the ass.

We also need some way to reference slope properties for player-floor collision/physics.

Last edited:
Here's a few suggestions, that I'll probably get a lot of shit for, but they're decent nonetheless.

1) Hard CTF
Capture the flag has always been broken. Once you have the flag, you're more than likely to spam your ability the hell out of there, and capture it. Sometimes you move so quickly, nobody has time to react when they even see you zoom by. A solution to this would be to weigh down the flag, so you move much slower and can't use your abilities as well, similar to Halo, where once you have the flag, you can only walk and jump.

2) Pseudo Lightdash
With the addition of hills and curves, the question may be asked "can we make big loops like in other sonic games?", with the answer being "not really". A pseudo lightdash would fix that.

Making marks similar to how lightdash follows rings, you could place these around your loops or on grind rails. These markers are invisible, and when touched, disable for a second, preventing going the wrong way. For loop markers, they are automatic. Once you start the loop, you automatically spindash around it. For grind rails, you could have the marker trigger the diagonal view of the character sprite, or make a new sprite for your wads, whatever you like. Grind rails could be added in places like Techno Hill. Jumping would break the chain.

These don't need to be done officially, if someone would rather do it themselves for a mod. I only make 2D games and I'm not too familiar with Lua, but theoretically, these shouldn't be too difficult to code. If any of these do get implemented someday, I'd love a message to let me know.

Abilities are already disabled while carrying the flag. If flag holders moved much slower it'd be impossible to get a capture without being mowed down in the process.

In fact, abilities are disabled purely because they make Sonic able to catch up with the flag carrier by thokking. Our character balance may be broken but this is one of the mechanics that isn't.

I must be watching some older footage. You're right, just tested. You can still spindash. Slower movement would work better in a large team, where you need to defend the flag carrier. Ignore that suggestion for now. I was looking at the map editor and if the Linux port gets updated to the slopes, I might make a blood gulch map if nobody else has. That's a type of map where passing the flag and defending the carrier would be important.

You've never been able to use abilities while holding the flag, but in older versions there were some silly tricks you could do to get around it (such as dropping the flag and thokking into it). We've since fixed those exploits. While it may be a good idea to nerf the spindash for flag carrying, in practice it hasn't generally been an issue because in order to get any real speed out of it you have to stand still for a bit, which in SRB2 is a very severe drawback.

Making marks similar to how lightdash follows rings, you could place these around your loops or on grind rails. These markers are invisible, and when touched, disable for a second, preventing going the wrong way. For loop markers, they are automatic. Once you start the loop, you automatically spindash around it.

Isn't this what a zoom tube is? With the "rings" in the lightdash being the waypoints? Either way, if it works like a light dash and connects the players between points in a connect-the-dots style, people have done that before and it looks horrendous. There's just no way to not make the player feel like they're tracing out a big ugly polygon angle by angle.

If you've visited the news section during April Fools then you might have seen this: http://mb.srb2.org/showpost.php?p=791014&postcount=9
This, plus a speedboost and temporarily disabling control, might be the best way to implement a loop.

But then again, if loops most likely take player control away, then why are they fun again?

The only reason loops existed in the Classis Sonic games is because they are an obstacle that needs you gain enough speed to clear it

How about spreading some Pity Shield Monitors in the Singleplayer Stages like in Sonic Mania?

Overriding your cool shield that has special abilities and resistances with a normal 1-hit shield in Mania is awful though :V

Overriding your cool shield that has special abilities and resistances with a normal 1-hit shield in Mania is awful though :V

Accidentally replacing my bubble shield with a poop shield and then getting hit by a projectile that my bubble shield would have deflected is the saddest I've ever been at a Sonic game.

On a side note, the pity shield is really obnoxious to look at

It would be really useful to see a hook that triggers when the game is saving/loading so we can shove Lua variables in a savefile or load them.

How about spreading some Pity Shield Monitors in the Singleplayer Stages like in Sonic Mania?
I believe the Pity Shield is only intended to help players who are being killed a lot in the ring-slinger game types (such as Match). It's directly worse than all other shields (except the Force shield if it only has 1 hit left, I think), where-as the other shields are different from each other, not directly better/worse. It would just not be fun to encounter it as a monitor in a level, let alone accidentally popping it if you have a different shield and don't want a directly worse shield. In other words, I just personally don't think that's a good idea.

Edit: Also, sure, the basic shield is in Sonic Mania... but if you look at Sonic 3 and/or Knuckles, there's not a single basic shield, with there only being the different Bubble, Electric, and Flame shields. That it was taken out of that game (compared to Sonic 1/2) helps show that having a basic shield in the mix isn't fun, since it otherwise likely would have remained. You have to remember, Sonic Mania is... sort of a "remix" of classic Sonic games, including 1 and 2 (with their basic shields).

One thing that might help it fit better in stages would be making it so the Pity Shield monitor won't give you a shield if you already have a different one... but the concept of [a monitor doing different things depending on whether you have another shield or not] sounds awful to me.

Edit 2: And another thing, in Sonic Mania, Sonic has a Drop Dash ability. If you have the Bubble, Electric, or Flame shield, Sonic's mid-air ability changes, but as one might like to combine protection from damage with the Drop Dash ability, the basic shield allows you to do that. I think that may also be one of the reasons it's there in Sonic Mania.

Last edited:
It's directly worse than all other shields (except the Force shield if it only has 1 hit left, I think)

Technically speaking, a damaged force shield is still desirable over a pity shield -- when absorbing damage, the force shield reflects the projectile back at the attacker.

I would have to suggest a few things:
1) Remake the website to be more modern. Include more information, remove redundant information, and just generally bring it up to today's standards.
2) A Twitter account. Essentially, a place where you guys can post news on a more populated site, and we can ask questions easier.
3) A Discord server. A place where players can ask questions, set up servers to get people to join, and just chat in general.
4) Much further off, i want a rework of Servers.

Generally, i want you guys to bring this game to today. We're still stuck in the past. Tons of redundant information, redundant sites, and lacking the general things most games, hell, even fangames have today. Doing so should help to bring it back into the limelight as probably the king of fangames. (C'mon, we're closing in on 19 years, almost 20. Let's not act like it's still the 90's!)

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

I legit made my account just to post this lmao

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Back