Reducing FPS lag with 0.99GB of RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapheros

Yeah, so due to personal issues, I don't have easy access to my usual PC, it's capable of running SRB2 Software perfectly, and does fine with OpenGL (weak graphics card tho so... Not really). In January, I managed to buy an old, slow Windows XP laptop for about $50 through a family friend. SRB2 cannot run on it. Thanks to HitKid61, he convinced me to use Linux, specifically Linux Mint. Kinda odd to work with at times, but anyways, SRB2 runs almost worse than Windows XP, and I even tried setting priorities to very high, and I can't even get through Techno Hill Zone in Software Mode without my FPS going between 5-7. As a broke 18 year old young adult I'm trying to find "inexpensive" or free ways I can improve my laptop's performance, and at least be able to beat Egg Rock Zone with it. I'm getting really desperate, and I love this game too much to depart from it like Iceman and many other members of the community.

Can you list your specs, including exact CPU model?
I'm assuming you've already tried playing on the lowest possible settings. Aside from returning to Windows from Linux, there isn't much you can do. Just because a game is based on an old engine doesn't mean it will run well on newer hardware, especially given the extensive modding that's been done. Srb2 doesn't do well on a Pentium 4 HT at all for instance, despite having been tested eith 4gb of ram. More RAM doesn't solve everything. It's very common for common branded computers like Dell or eMachines to run on the CPU's graphics rather than a dedicated card, which is never good for games. At all.

On an unrelated but potentially helpful note, if you're looking to game with older titles on the most extreme budget out there, I recommend picking up a used Lenovo Thinkpad e11. By today's gaming standards it sucks ass. It'll run new games, like gta v, similar to how your current PC is running srb2. but it will be fine for less demanding and older titles like Minecraft or half life 2, so it can handle any Doom mod out there I bet.

TL;DR - You're screwed but there's a bare bones gaming laptop for around $200. Good luck!

Just saying, your problem is totally not Windows XP itself - I use XP and SRB2 runs totally fine.
(My PC isn't very old though - it's been bought in 2012 and had Win 7 but I've installed XP on it)

Same. Im windows XP also but i cant run Open GL with out the insane lag

I was able to run this game on a Windows 2000 laptop with 256MB RAM and an integrated graphics chip back in 2003. What the hell.

Duon, try v2.0.4 and see how that runs on the laptop. That version still used WinG/DirectDraw.

2.0.4 runs pretty smoothly, I guess my laptop is incapable of running 2.1 with all of its new features and such.

Try lowering resolution and draw distance. DD might perform better than SDL2, but do keep in mind that DD won't be around forever.

I should've mentioned this, but I found out that using USB drives can be used for RAM, except it apparently kills the flash drive itself. My Flash drive has up to 8 GB of space. Are there any other ways to increase RAM without buying RAM?

I should've mentioned this, but I found out that using USB drives can be used for RAM, except it apparently kills the flash drive itself. My Flash drive has up to 8 GB of space. Are there any other ways to increase RAM without buying RAM?
No, they can't. What you're referring to is the swap file - when Windows runs out of RAM to put stuff in, it will take part of what is in RAM that is not currently in use and copy it to the hard drive to make room, and will copy it back into ram when it needs to be used. Since a hard drive is much slower than RAM, this can slow a computer down significantly.

While flash memory is much faster than a hard drive, a USB2 interface is slower. Even if you were using an SSD though, it would still be much slower than actual RAM, and is not a replacement. The one part that I can say is correct is that you would ruin the drive, since Flash memory has a limited number of writes it can do before it stops working.

That said, your web browser uses a lot more RAM than SRB2 does. Your CPU is the real concern, for framerate.

You could try the last freeware version of an application called GameBooster3 (3.4.0 IIRC) in order to temporarily kill resource hogging background services in order to squeeze more performance out of your setup, or perhaps toggle some BIOS settings to increase performance if you know what you are doing. Or, if you or somebody else you know have any other dead or alive laptops around, salvage the old RAM if they are of compatible type to increase the RAM.

perhaps toggle some BIOS settings to increase performance if you know what you are doing.

If not. I highly advise you to find some expert help. The internet should have some legit sources. Dont try toggle the bios straight away unless you know what your doing.

Free software (Even if it helps speed up the computer) is only just gonna give him more bloatware for something Duon can do by hand and even do it better than the program.

You should give us the full spec sheet of your computer, so me and others can see what really slowing down your game. Personally I believe it might be the processor itself. Could be where it is clocked at. Or the integrated graphics is bogging down the performance entirely. Also due to this system being a non gaming computer, don't bother looking though the BIOS. It's most certain that you only have access to the most basic settings.

Free software (Even if it helps speed up the computer) is only just gonna give him more bloatware for something Duon can do by hand and even do it better than the program.
Are you back on Windows? MSConfig is your friend.

You should give us the full spec sheet of your computer, so me and others can see what really slowing down your game.
Yes. This is important as the amount of RAM doesn't tell us much.

...don't bother looking though the BIOS. It's most certain that you only have access to the most basic settings.
Especially since it's a laptop.

Tbh, I hesitated about how I was going to do this...

So enjoy some screenshots of my Laptop's specs through Linux!

Motherboard

Graphics Card

Well from reading your specs from the pictures. That system should be able to run Windows XP 32-bit with out any slowdowns, I honestly believe since the game has moved onward to version 2.1 and soon to be hitting version 2.2. It might be much more demanding then 2.0.7 was.

Because back in the day I was running an old machine clocked at 128mhz with 256MB of ram. Was not even a dual core either. It was also running a 32mb integrated card as well. Yet it ran Sonic Robo Blast 2 at 35FPS. Of course this was running just fine on version 2.0.7. Only Deep Sea Zone 1 and 2, Castle Eggman Zone Act 2 and EggRock Zone Act 2 only had FPS drops on certain parts of the level that pushed my computer back then.

So I recommend you go for a fresh install of Windows XP. And try and collect all the drivers as well. (Hopefully you saved all the drivers on a Disc or USB due to them probably being hard to find now) Then turn off certain resource hog processes that eating up your ram and memory.

Now I'm not sure if this is the same on Windows XP as it is on Windows 7. But switching to a Classic theme can help move all the power from the integrated card to the CPU. Which could help lighten the load when your playing Sonic Robo Blast 2.

Also, maybe you could mention to us what the RPM set to on the HDD that on that laptop. It could be somewhat the cause of the slowdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back