A Trio of 2.2 Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the gargoyle's return speed is adjustable. I'm getting some Sandopolis vibes off of it now.

A new DSZ2?

RealisticPaltryGuillemot.gif

What an outlandish suggestion.

It's like Labyrinth and Sandopoils Zone had a baby.

A Deep Sea being made to look more like Atlantis than it was is neat. The gargoyle pushing still makes me wish of pushing sprites/pushing via spindash (the latter a la 3&K) to accompany it; maybe the update of Sonic's sprites for next release could provide so? Nonetheless coolio this is, though

The time has come to an end; Yeah -- this is what nature planned

A Deep Sea being made to look more like Atlantis than it was is neat. The gargoyle pushing still makes me wish of pushing sprites/pushing via spindash (the latter a la 3&K) to accompany it; maybe the update of Sonic's sprites for next release could provide so? Nonetheless coolio this is, though

You mean like, pushing them faster by spindashing into them? That'd be pretty nice.

Nah; I was hinting at 3&K since you could also push those blocks in Sandopolis Zone with the spindash as an alternative in case you get bored with looking at pushing-with-arms Sonic, I guess. Pushing gargoyles or whatever faster with the spindash as opposed to normal pushing-with-arms could actually be something minor to implement for the characters to further differentiate noob players and experts in SRB2, as well as for speedrunning purposes, which is perhaps more important.

Last edited:
Being tracked by a starving beast; looking for its daily feast

I never knew about that, actually.

As for pushing them faster, I always thought they were slower than they needed to be.. but I think that's also because it can be very easy to accidentally push them where you don't intend to.

I would also love some pushing frames for characters, but in the end I have a feeling it won't happen due to it "bloating character wads and making them even harder to make" or something similar. Nevertheless, we have spin rev animations, which are cool.

The real problem is that the player's facing direction and moving direction are independent in SRB2. You can walk backwards into the gargoyle and push it with your rear.

I guess you could always try to adjust the animation's angle so it always faces the pushable thing?

The real problem is that the player's facing direction and moving direction are independent in SRB2. You can walk backwards into the gargoyle and push it with your rear.

This isn't a problem when angle checks are made beforehand by making sure the player's moving and their angle of movement is within x degrees of their mobj angle. All this would be a bit much for a set of frames you'd rarely see, but then again all kinds of checks are in place for existing frame animations already.

EDIT: Or, yeah, perhaps what Lat said

Last edited:
I remember asking for the feature as far back as one of the original 2.0 suggestion threads. If the code for it is technically already there, the annoying part after that are the assets; this game does sort of need sprites of five different angles for the same animation.

That's probably more the issue than the feature itself. Even if you limit the animations to two frames each, that's 30 new sprites for all three characters in the game put together.

Just commenting on the tendency of like five people to say the same thing in succession to one person

This is one aspect of the community I've never understood. On the few forums I'm a regular of, the staff asks everyone to knock it off or drop it. What good does five posters saying the same thing in different words accomplish? It's white noise, not signal.

While these forums have grown a lot over the years, it surprises me this still happens from time to time.

I remember asking for the feature as far back as one of the original 2.0 suggestion threads. If the code for it is technically already there, the annoying part after that are the assets; this game does sort of need sprites of five different angles for the same animation.

That's probably more the issue than the feature itself. Even if you limit the animations to two frames each, that's 30 new sprites for all three characters in the game put together.
I'll note that even in the classics, Knuckles doesn't have pushing sprites.

This is one aspect of the community I've never understood. On the few forums I'm a regular of, the staff asks everyone to knock it off or drop it. What good does five posters saying the same thing in different words accomplish? It's white noise, not signal.

While these forums have grown a lot over the years, it surprises me this still happens from time to time.
It's incredibly obnoxious behavior, but with limited moderation resources, we have to pick and choose our battles. I've noticed that a lot of people with this tendency are new. If I started infracting people for it, I'd mostly just be wasting time because a lot of newbies leave after a couple posts. Because of that, I've chosen to just give up on this one and fight battles more likely to be relevant to the long-term health of the forums.

That said, when dealing with noise posts, it's generally best to ignore them entirely. Pointing it out in the thread often derails the thread even further, as ALSO seen earlier in this thread. The only thing worse than three redundant posts is thirty posts arguing about how stupid those three posts are.

Last edited:
Just because a set of sprites are mapped to a pushing animation, that doesn't make them "pushing" sprites.

Objection.

Knuckles did have pushing sprites, and I have video proof.

...I'm pretty sure that's exactly what Mystic meant by "no pushing sprites".

EDIT: Whoops, did not see Cobalt's post. Kinda redundant. :X

those sprites were made for the pushing action. if you were to really look, Knuckles is trying to push with his chest or head (collision limit?) instead of his hands.

No, those sprites were made for WALKING. They are WALKING sprites. They've been spliced into a four frame animation for pushing because whoever was in charge of that was fucking lazy. He was probably the same person who was in charge of the egg robo sprites for Flying Battery Zone.

If you look closer, no. Those are actually different sprites, they just look similar. Pay attention to the feet.
They're in fact, more different than you'd think:
933c7df0b6bjP.gif

Bottom right

Don't care for pushing animations in SRB2 myself, but he isn't incorrect. Calm those caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back