Isn't the Hall of Fame a little too restrictive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawfulfan

The Tortured Planet guy
I'm just saying that I think that there are projects out there other than XSRB2 which deserve a place in the Hall of Fame. Mystic Realm is an example which leaps to mind instantly. It's possibly the greatest level pack in the history of SRB2, and yet it is somehow unfit to be promoted to Hall of Fame status? And XSRB2 isn't? (Don't get me wrong, XSRB2 is fantastic, and well-deserving of the honor; It's just that I rather contest the implication that it is better than Mystic Realm, or as popular.)

Is there a rigidly determined set of qualities that determine whether something is eligible for the Hall of Fame? If there isn't, shouldn't there be? If there already is, shouldn't it be available for everyone on the message board to read? It seems to me that the Hall of Fame is very ill-defined right now, and the fact that only one thing is in there seems to reflect excessive exclusivity.

Absolutely right. Classic and revolutionary (yay!) mods should be put there, like Mystic Realm. They deserve some credit, and XSRB2 needs to share some glory ^^

What's so great about XSRB2 anyways? I mean obviously, I haven't been around to witness it in it's glory... Golf Mode is pretty fun and all, and sure, there's shards too... But, the levels aren't even completed, and what else is there really great?

*prepares for pummeling*

What's so great about XSRB2 anyways? I mean obviously, I haven't been around to witness it in it's glory... Golf Mode is pretty fun and all, and sure, there's shards too... But, the levels aren't even completed, and what else is there really great?

*prepares for pummeling*
I thought a lot of the new stuff was pretty cool, like golf mode and shards, even though the levels aren't complete. I do think that the Hall of Fame is too restrictive like everyone else has said and that there are plenty of level packs (specifically, Mystic Realm) that need to be added to the Hall of Fame.

The trouble is, there aren't REALLY many mods/level packs that truly deserve to be in the Hall of Fame.

Mystic Realm is alright, yes, but it's played mainly for the nostalga these days, is it not?

MI has it, it's alright, but it's really just a nostalgia trip. You're right though, it is far too restrictive.

If anyone can name me a candidate for the Hall of Fame, go ahead and mention it.

Apart from that, I think we should tell "the public" how we determine what goes into Hall of Fame, but I don't wanna shoot first without permission from the others.

Well, I see guys complaining wayyyy too much about how levels aren't good here, yet they never give examples of good levels. I mean, we have 2 complete level packs, one of them is even with cutscenes and a few gimmicks never used before and a new enemy (I'm talking about Mystic Realm and Tortured Planet of course.). Yet people think they aren't any good either. Is there something you guys do like, or are you expecting the Doom Builder to make something It'll never be able to?

MI has it, it's alright, but it's really just a nostalgia trip.
Personally, I believe that the nostalgia factor alone is enough to vault it to Hall of Fame status. Look around the community; the impact of Mystic Realm is huge. Go to the Master Server; aside from "hangout" WADs, Mystic Realm is one of the most common addons. It left behind a tremendous legacy; vanilla SRB2 now has Mystic Realm tracks and a secret stage based on Aerial Garden Zone. Doesn't that count for anything? Yes, quality should be the most important factor in determining what is eligible for the Hall of Fame, but look at how much influence and popularity Mystic Realm had. Why should the most famous level pack in SRB2 history be excluded from the Hall of Fame?

Well, I see guys complaining wayyyy too much about how levels aren't good here, yet they never give examples of good levels.
"You say everything sucks, yet you never say you like everything." Well yeah, sounds logical, don't you think?

I mean, we have 2 complete level packs, one of them is even with cutscenes and a few gimmicks never used before and a new enemy (I'm talking about Mystic Realm and Tortured Planet of course.).
"Complete" doesn't mean it's good, the presence of cutscenes doesn't mean it's good, a new enemy alone doesn't make it good, and gimmicks wouldn't save a pack with awful design.

Yet people think they aren't any good either.
Now that's not true. Few people would debate that Mystic Realm and Tortured Planet are at least decent, and many parts of it are enjoyable. Yet, there also have some very bad parts in both of them. That's why they're not in the Hall of Fame.

Is there something you guys do like, or are you expecting the Doom Builder to make something It'll never be able to?
The official SRB2 levels are somewhat of a golden standard. If a custom level or level pack reaches that standard, be sure that it will eventually be Hall of Fame material. But that standard isn't easily reached. Something can be very good yet not good enough for the Hall of Fame. If we decide not to pout it there, that doesn't mean it's bad.

Now what I do think is that we're focusing too much on levels and level pack when we consider stuff for the Hall of Fame. Maybe we should take a closer look at other material.

EDIT:
Personally, I believe that the nostalgia factor alone is enough to vault it to Hall of Fame status.
The Hall of Fame is not based on popularity. It is solely based on quality. Something that has an article on the Wiki might not be good enough for Hall of Fame status (as is the case with Mystic Realm and your pack). For a Wiki article, something has to be good, decently large, and popular. For the Hall of Fame, it has to be very good.

Last edited:
Okay, here's another idea: KO.T.E.'s character should be in there. It's definitely the most distinctive and original Character WAD out there right now.

Okay, here's another idea: KO.T.E.'s character should be in there. It's definitely the most distinctive and original Character WAD out there right now.
Distinctive and original, but is the ability good? Even if you say it's good, you can't deny there are problems with it.

Also, may I point at the edit of my post above? ;)

Distinctive and original, but is the ability good? Even if you say it's good, you can't deny there are problems with it.

Also, may I point at the edit of my post above? ;)
Yeah, I saw it. XD

And if the nature of this community was different, I'd agree much more. But aren't the only people capable of meeting such stratospheric standards using their skills primarily to improve SRB2 itself? In that case, I don't think we'll ever see any release which is that good, in which case the Hall of Fame will remain as it is for eternity.

BTW, it's been a while since I used it, so what are the problems with KO.T.E.'s character?

Last edited:
The Hall of Fame is not based on popularity. It is solely based on quality. Something that has an article on the Wiki might not be good enough for Hall of Fame status (as is the case with Mystic Realm and your pack). For a Wiki article, something has to be good, decently large, and popular. For the Hall of Fame, it has to be very good.

Maybe you should rename it the Hall of Quality? XD

Hall of Fame does imply that the big popular level packs like Mystic Realm and Tortured Planet, or Botanic Serenity, would go in there.

And if that was the case, House1-100 and Tyrcity would have to go in there too! O_O
Uh-oh...

Botanic Serenity; Oceanic Cove.

There, happy?
They both have graphic issues or lag as hell, and/or their creators aren't that active lately to improve/make more.
And what did I do to you that makes you being sarcasm-ish or mean to me already twice, Iestyn? XC
Plus its kind of not the place to give good examples of stages- a place to mention those would be in the thread you criticized why/how bad it is, which people usually don't do.

Last edited:
And if that was the case, House1-100 and Tyrcity would have to go in there too! O_O
Uh-oh...
Not necessarily. Certainly the reason for fame would play a role. WADs which are famous for being good hangouts clearly spit in the face of traditional ideas of quality. And I don't think anyone disputes that quality should be the most important factor, even if there is some dispute over whether it should be the only factor.

A fancharacter? In the hall of fame? lol

Mystic Realm definitely deserves a spot. Though perhaps a little outdated in terms of gimmicks and enemies, it really has some great and sensibly-designed stages. That's a whole lot more than a lot of the modern stages that go all gung-ho with the new stuff, like Tortured Planet. Oh, and it has a phenomenal custom soundtrack that's right up there with standard SRB2 and the official Sonic titles. Malcolm Brown is awesome.

Mystic Realm is what made 1.09.4 bearable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back