• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

A small question about map/level themes/styles/genres. +Two other questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are levels in other styles such as exploration, hangout/roleplay, puzzle, horror, etc. allowed to be uploaded on here? I mean, SF94 has hangout/roleplay-based maps, SRB2 Hub is partially a hangout/roleplay map, and that one Green Hill Zone based exploration map? So are maps of certain themes and/or genres okay to be uploaded on the message board? I had probably answered my question, but I'm just being very curious.

Last edited:
If srb2 hub and sf94 are in the releases.... i dont see why not.

But i think they have expectations.

Check the submissions guidelines (https://mb.srb2.org/announcement.php?f=68&a=33), the judging guidelines (https://mb.srb2.org/announcement.php?f=68&a=34), and in the case of a map, the map guidelines (https://mb.srb2.org/announcement.php?f=68&a=3). If you meet all those requirements, you're good to go. I mean, as long as the map serves a purpose and has work put into it there's really no reason for it not to be released. The submissions system is really only there to prevent the message board from being dominated by useless or otherwise effortless modifications.

Are levels in other styles such as exploration, hangout/roleplay, puzzle, horror, etc. allowed to be uploaded on here?
Absolutely! In addition to the submission guidelines linked earlier in the thread. I feel it's worth noting that the job of the judges is mainly to keep things like broken wads, stolen content or things that could get us in serious trouble (such as copyrighted music rips) out of the forum.

If you have an unusual idea that you want to explore, feel free to submit it. And myself or one of the other judges will take a look at it. We're here to keep the releases sub-forums free of clutter, not to restrict what kind of content you can create and upload here.

Thank you for your time, curiosity hit me like a truck about map styles such as the ones I had listed. And I don't assume test maps and joke/troll maps count, especially tests...?

I think you're okay to post test wads in Editing as long as they're like proof-of-concept wads for something bigger you're making.

Just two more questions, are alternate versions of vanilla stages are also allowed? And can someone be allowed to base a map or... anything in general of a game and/or more, no matter the theme/genre/whatever? (I've pretty much answered my 2nd question already but whatever. Answer it if you want.)

Addons submitted to Releases are free to be based on whatever external game, media, etc. you want as long as it abides by all of the submission rules and forum rules.

If you're making anything derivative of another addon, you need permission from that addon's author unless they've specifically marked it as reusable. Vanilla content is generally considered fair game as far as this goes.

Also, I feel like the answer to your first question needs a bit of clarification; hangout/roleplay maps specifically need special care if you intend to submit one. Maps and similar content without some sort of goal for completion generally aren't allowed in submissions; if your map has a goal to reach but also happens to be good for hangout or roleplay, it's fine. SRB2Hub passed through submissions because its main purpose was giving server owners a playable hub to access the vanilla maps through; the hangout sections available were available on top of that.

And I don't assume test maps and joke/troll maps count, especially tests...?
To elaborate on joke maps, a joke map can cheat its way to release if we think it's funny. If it's not funny to the judges, then you're stuck to being judged on the merit of the actual content, and then you're likely not to get passed since most joke WADs don't really pass muster otherwise.

are alternate versions of vanilla stages are also allowed?
To elaborate on this one as well, there's nothing against editing vanilla maps in the rules, but there has to be enough of your own work there to judge. For instance, just changing all the textures, making it night or other such things aren't a relevant amount of work. Real changes that actually do something interesting are totally fine, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back