2.2 Preview - With Slopes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I remember, Shadow's and Kilo's Spindash is an old version of 2.2's spindash, there is supposed to be something much different compared to that.

Also, is that spindash gimmick going to remain in 2.2?
Well, the previous 2.2 preview thing had this image...
feb15a.png

Actually Wolfy - I'm pretty sure we've said we're open to the changed flight mechanics, just not the sprites.

What spindash gimmick do you mean, though? The changed sprites for charging up VS rolling? That's how everyone works in 2.2.

EDIT: Ninja'd by not turning over the page.

Sorry i wasnt clear. I meant the rolling one in that screen shot that Zappy commented before you.

Is that going to remain in 2.2?

I really like the new Castle Eggman Zone texturing, but at the same time it really strikes a thorn in my foot, seeing how dramatically different in style it is from the other two screenshots. It doesn't feel retro anymore, and looks too real. While this may be a compliment I think that's a double edged sword because it is too realistic for the theme you were implying thus far.

I also think GFZ lacks in in tall plants or structures like trees to break the sky but that's just me.

Last edited:
I think it's fine. It's ok for one stage of the game to have a different style that the other stages. Besides, we haven't even seen the entire level yet. Also, I like your idea about tall trees in green flower zone. Judging from the screenshot, new Green Flower zone is a lot more magical, but trees might make it seem... bigger, or something. Or maybe not, I don't know.

Last edited:
The New textures are really just fine, They somehow look similar to Mystic Cave textures from Sonic 2 .

I always hated Castle Eggman looking like black, grey, and beige garbage merged together with ugly trees and more trash placed on.

Castle Eggman Zone has always felt like a total work in progress. The most recent iteration in 2.1x isn't -terrible-, but I still remember act 1 being flooded in 2.0x so this just feels like a dried out version of the older stage. The new textures do seem to breathe some new air into the level.

Are there going to be any huge design changes in either act, or is the highlight just a reskin?

Act 1 is remade entirely, because the original level was just unsalvagable. Act 2 will probably not be touched at all, meanwhile.

Last edited:
I assume Act 2 is getting slopes and a new texture coat here an there to compensate for the completely new Act 1, no? I doubt you'd want to leave it the odd one out.

I'm not the biggest fan of CEZ2, but there's a thing called priority. We literally just upgraded THZ1, THZ2, CEZ1 and CEZ2 with 2.1, so excepting the actively abysmal CEZ1 they're not going to be seriously touched in 2.2's development. Some textures in CEZ2 might be swapped out, but that's about as far as it's likely to go.

I actually really like castle Eggman zone. It's not my favorite, but it's still pretty good. Green flower zone 1 was the only real problem with the game, and it's obviously getting fixed in 2.2 judging by the screenshots. Still, it's always exciting to see remade levels.

Castle Eggman for me is very hard level since it has the most death pits and I am glad they are redoing the first act at least. That last part near the end of CEZ1 was very hard in the fact that there are no more starposts after this point.
n7HdomN.png

And the lots of death pits everywhere. You near the end at the gate and mess up then you start way back from that point again. At least there is extra life box on top of green thingy.
CEZ2 was much more nicer with less death pits all over place. I not going even to begin how insanely hard CEZ3 is but anyway look forward to all these nice new things coming up in the new version.

And the lots of death pits everywhere. You near the end at the gate and mess up then you start way back from that point again. At least there is extra life box on top of green thingy..

That pretty much sums up what's odd with what you just said...
Why would you need ANOTHER starpost when you're seriously 2 meters away from finishing the level? WHERE would you put it?
Also, it's not that hard; even with Sonic.
Just avoid doing crazy jumps and don't face first into those arrow bots and you're good to go. And don't let me even get started with both Tails and Knuckles.

CEZ1 did look bad, IMO. But it was fun and [THANKFULLY] added some difficulty to the level, by giving you tons of instant deaths if you didn't plan carefully. Sad to go see it fade into the distance, but hey. It's gonna come back in style.

One of the things that irritated me about 2.1 was that precipitation was completely broken and absent in OpenGL mode (on all OS's). I've compiled and played the most up-to-date "next" branch and that hasn't changed, at least for the Linux version. I know that OpenGL isn't the "official" mode, but it would be nice to have that regression fixed, especially considering that another branch has almost completely implemented working and visible slopes in that mode (all except for shadows on slopes). And it's not like it's never been in the game, cause it worked in 2.0.

Being a software developer myself, I know that fixing broken old features is often HARDER than making new ones, especially if it's multiple versions old. Still, it's one of the more visible issues that are most certainly bugs, as opposed to others (pixmaps) than can possibly be viewed as "stylistic" differences.

Keep up the good work ya'll. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back