[Open Assets] SRB2 Christmas Remix 2010

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well at least this isn't Sonic 06.

Here's a preview of the new map for Megamix mode:
srb20190.png

srb20189.png

srb20196.png

srb20197.png

Also the old maps from christmas demo 0.96 have been removed from this year's version (not yet ready for download)

The whole point of Megamix mode is to reimagine the old levels, to rebuild them from the ground up, with only little bits of the old levels used as parts of them, and other parts redone and based on other parts.

For example, picture 3 came from the Ice tunnel that in the old map, was hidden.
The bottom picture is a combination of a part of the old map and a redoing of the area.

As I type, I'm currently working on the section of the map where the rings form the Word 'HO'.

Remix mode is only staying in this year because I can't megamix all the levels in time for Christmas. If I tried they would be just as bad as the original levels are today.

Glaber, can you make ANYTHING without ruining it with a stupid gimmick like repeating the same jump in a special stage 500 times, waist high walls that block the player all the way to the sky, or grave robbing SRB2's history? These stages are old and they are awful. They are a mere historical curiosity, as relevant today as SRB2 TGF.

I simply do not get how you could possibly be considering continuing this "project" when all it is is a port of historical (bad) maps and your own work which are honestly just as bad. You completely ignore absolutely any and all criticism of your work, and strike off on your own path to make the most mediocre map in existence. Practically every post of yours in the OLDC and otherwise relating to your work is you attempting to justify your awful design decisions as the rest of us scream at you for them.

tl;dr: This pack of stages is abysmal. It is not worth salvaging. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME FIXING IT. I feel like you're making our historical garbage even worse somehow.

I agree but what I said in one of the posts that he can update it. Hes not going to listen to anybody that says to stop you know.

Glaber, I know you have something more creative on your mind *coughcoughmedivocoughcough* and you can do it better. We now have the 2.0. 2.0. So that means that you don't need to bring levels from pre-history to this version. We have new things and we can use it to make good maps. So that weird and bad levels don't need to be updated. Trust me.

Yeah, he can update it. So what? That's obvious.

He probably will, and that's the problem. He refuses to listen to feedback and keeps coming out with levels that are frankly terrible. Years of trying to stop him has showed that he doesn't learn. No one wants to play this pack, save a couple of masochists and Glaber himself.

Not even to Mystic who has the power to lock or even trash the topic?

He can, but he won't. This was accepted into releases, it abides by all the rules, and short of a sudden cease and desist from STJr or rule-breaking content being shoveled in the next release this is going to stay up.

So how about some devil's advocate here? Everyone is talking about how terrible the original content was and how there really isn't any reason to dredge it up, but my experience playing the original was that it was almost so bad it's good... "almost" because of the unbearable controls.

Having a port to a newer version fixes that last bit. Even if it's far from a perfect port(enemy/boss behavior, egg base sound effects/lighting changes, no end-level pictures), I'm thankful that whenever I feel the urge to laugh at STJr's first steps into DooM Legacy, I can do so without having to cry at the lack of strafe keys.

Megamix mode on the other hand doesn't have much of a point, and replaces the calm music with stuff that makes my ears bleed. But hey, maybe it won't be as bad this year!

maybe.

Last edited:
I am willing to re-enable multiplayer uncompatiability if enough people, including Mystic and Spirit Crusher, request it. So far only Mystic liked the bug because it stopped people from playing the mod over the internet.

Part of why I haven't listened on canceling my update is because of posts like ImaRawrBadly>.<'s, steven's, or even Root's. They may be a minority, but their posts tell me that there are people willing to play this, even if some of the posts are from last year.

Now I have been working on making the Megamix levels better. Wider hallways, varied textures, and even only using some enemies on select maps. I've also been working on making a 2.0 version of Christmas Mode as well by using 3drend.dll as the base. I even had plans on making the Megamix only update be the final update, though if things keep up like this, this will be the final update.

Last edited:
posts like ImaRawrBadly>.<'s, steven's, or even Root's. They may be a minority, but their posts tell me that there are people willing to play this, even if some of the posts are from last year.

*continues to play Srb2 Christmas*

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Mapc1 is unbeatable causeing the finishing point a pit.

I am willing to re-enable multiplayer uncompatiability if enough people, including Mystic and Spirit Crusher, request it. So far only Mystic liked the bug because it stopped people from playing the mod over the internet.

Part of why I haven't listened on canceling my update is because of posts like ImaRawrBadly>.<'s, steven's, or even Root's. They may be a minority, but their posts tell me that there are people willing to play this, even if some of the posts are from last year.

Glaber, I'm right about one thing. Mystic and SpiritCrusher won't request that. You said that 2 or 3 people like your pack, and that's not enough. If you want to release to those 2 or 3 people, host in some site and PM them with the link. This is not a critic. This is an advice. Unleash your talent or just find another thing to do.

Clearly the REAL point of our statements went so far over his head that they are now embedded in the ceiling.

I'll spell it out in really simple language: This WAD is awful. Stop working on it; you are wasting your time and the time of others who are unfortunate enough to play it.

Last edited:
Yes. You see, the problem is that the sheer concept of "remixing" these stages to be good is impossible for a skilled level designer, and no offense but you've pretty much proven you're not. These levels are old and terrible. They're a great historical curiosity, and that's it. If you REALLY want to improve this pack, here is a list of steps:

1. Delete ALL your original content in this pack.
2. Provide level select from the get-go. Since these stages are awful it doesn't really matter if the player is able to complete them, and they shouldn't be required to.

The stages themselves are irredeemable and always have been. Don't try to make this something it's not. This is level design made a decade ago and that is the entire point and appeal. There's nothing to update and improve and there never SHOULD have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back