The problem with huge levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And ya know what?

If your level has enough stuff in it, people won't see the grafical bugs.
Or at least, so thinks Digiku, yet Botanic Serenity clearly has size bugs in software. >_>

BlueZero4 said:
And ya know what?

If your level has enough stuff in it, people won't see the grafical bugs.
Or at least, so thinks Digiku, yet Botanic Serenity clearly has size bugs in software. >_>

Lawl, It doesn't help adding a bunch of stuff if all that stuff lag up your computer like mad. Besides, yeah, Botanic Serenity had a few graphic errors related to this, as you said. I recall Gelespious having size problems also. I even think AGZ had that huge palace pilliar in the middle to fix some software mode errors also - using this common trick, if I recall...

A nice trick is to take advantage of how things are rendered. Everything stops rendering past a one-sided linedef - so you can have some obstacles that have the same ceiling and floor that can help optimize the level.

I usually just build some massive pilliar kind of thing, draw another sector inside it, and delete the sector inside of the pilliar. This leaves the linedefs in SRB2Doombuilder, making them one sided - kinda like a in-level thok barrier. Although it should be common sense not to have such huge areas to begin with.

DashFox2007 said:
Ok, so when I make a huge level with tall walls
It probably isn't a good idea to be making levels like that anyway. Fill it up with stuff and you shouldn't have problems.

Look at how I made the second act of Dark Palisades in Blue Heaven (not to be egotistical, but it's the first example I could think of just now) to see how huge levels can be done with minimal graphical errors. Basically, like Penopat said, you need to abuse one-sided linedefs in order to keep draw distance down. An example of this is how I have a huge wall nearly bisecting the central area in DPZ act 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back