Isn't the Hall of Fame a little too restrictive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mystic Realm, the SRB2 Maps, many OLDC maps, many single zones. A single good map is better than a pack of sub-standard maps. It's QUALITY. People should be rewarded for making something extraordinary rather than simply pumping out maps.
Fair enough. I definitely agree with you there. Seems to me like so many of the OLDC maps are left kind of dejected. even if they were great. Unless of course, someone does something like the Hyper Duel Pack. People need to do more of those.
With moar CTF!

Other than ports and instantly-forgotten content, nothing even makes it through Submissions, so there really are little other options.
Nothing gets submitted either. Submissions is just a filter for complete fail, it doesn't block things that are in any way remotely decent. Anything blocked by Submissions would NEVER be in consideration for the HoF.

I agree the name "Hall of Fame" is misleading and should probably be changed to something more appropriate. Either that or we actually make it based on fame to some degree.
That's probably my fault. I assumed that the name of this forum section was adopted from the topic I made either for consistency or to indicate some level of spiritual succession. I like the name because it calls back on my own intentions, but the name wasn't really fitting back then either.

[Mystic Realm] would have deserved Hall of Fame status back in the day, but we can't honestly consider it "very good" anymore. If it would, we might as well add Tortured Planet along with it, and we all know (including Fawfulfan) that it still needs more work.
I created my list because I wanted to get content circulating around the community. I wanted people to have something to sink their teeth into. If it's fun, I want it in Hall of Fame. If it's not fun, geddaway. I personally would love to put Tortured Planet up in Hall of Fame because, despite its flaws, it's a huge set of content that's kinda fun.

I really don't want an abstract, elitist bar of quality for this section; Hall of Fame should be us as a community recommending addons to the masses. I would recommend both Tortured Planet and Mystic Realm, even if the authors are embarrassed about it.

It doesn't matter if the author are constantly updating it or not, the content that is there matters.
On the other hand, if FawfulFan wants to hold Tortured Planet until he's ready for Hall of Fame, I'll support him and let him update his stuff until he feels like it's ready to be listed. On the other hand, I've had the same attitude about my maps, and we're three years later and I still haven't put together a pack for you guys.

Mystic Realm will not be judged on what it did in the past, at least as long as the Hall of Fame operates as it does now. It will be judged on the objective (as far as that is possible to determine) quality it has now.
The point isn't that Mystic Realm is "dead" because it doesn't meet an arbitrary standard of quality. Mystic Realm is still very much alive because it's still fun. For myself, Mystic Realm helps me understand SRB2 better because of Mystic's sense of risks, rewards, and difficulty curve. The only true flaw with MR is that the content isn't fresh any more, but that's not worth keeping it down from the Hall of Fame.

tl;dr Normal Releases is for fledgling mappers.
Also, don't name the section "Best of."

No, this also implies that Tortured Planet is the "best" because there's literally nothing else (aside from 1.09 ports).
I didn't mean "rename it and add what everyone's asking for". I meant "rename it and suddenly what's in there matches the name perfectly".

I strongly disagree. But whatever, we all think differently.
It's really not a matter of opinion. Even Fawfulfan agrees there are substandard levels in his pack.

Fair enough. I definitely agree with you there. Seems to me like so many of the OLDC maps are left kind of dejected. even if they were great. Unless of course, someone does something like the Hyper Duel Pack. People need to do more of those.
With moar CTF!
The problem with OLDC maps is that they aren't released separately, so we can't move them into the Hall of Fame. Although that is something we could think about.

Oh and BlueZero4: The Hall of Fame isn't like your old Hall of Fame. Your old Hall of Fame was for everything that was decent and enjoyable. "Our" Hall of Fame is for really high-quality stuff.

What about the multiplayer CTF/match level packs, like archpack, or retropack? I personally think they could get a spot in the hall of fame. (If people actually bothered to play them)

I think that maybe instead of Hall of Fame, maybe Hall of Fun or something to that effect? Maybe instead of having a forum where only the wad would meet strict standards of greatness, that it would be a place where the wad is at least fun AND the author is still active to take criticism.

The point of BZ4's hall of fame was to show new people WADs that he thought were fun and enjoyable. I am not saying that quality should be thrown out, but it might be beneficial to have lower standards and still fun.

Hall of fun? Haha, I like that!

But to be serious, which, admittedly, I haven't been much in this thread, I think Twilight Isles could possibly, ever so slightly, maybe, perhaps, deserve a place in the Hall of Fame? That's gotta be one of the most creative levels out there. It's certainly my favorite out of every level...

But to be serious, which, admittedly, I haven't been much in this thread, I think Twilight Isles could possibly, ever so slightly, maybe, perhaps, deserve a place in the Hall of Fame? That's gotta be one of the most creative levels out there. It's certainly my favorite out of every level...

It'll need a release in the Releases section first. At the moment it's just in the OLDC.

That level is fun, but not without substantial design flaws. Quality should still be a very important consideration, even if the focus shifts away from it towards popularity.

The point of BZ4's hall of fame was to show new people WADs that he thought were fun and enjoyable.
I don't know if you'll believe this, but I made Hall of Fame more for myself, so that I'd have my own personal list of content that I wanted to play. I guess I tried to play SRB2 several times but kept going around in my SRB2 folder being all like "There is nothing to play!"

I think it should be renamed to

"Hall of God"

That would be more fitting since it's required to be so perfect and rules are ridiculously strict.

http://mb.srb2.org/forumdisplay.php?f=76

There, are you happy now? ;)

The truth is that our process for determining what goes into the Hall of Fame is prone to laziness and stagnation. It takes a while until we move something there. Sometimes you just gotta be patient with us. Though of course that doesn't mean we want you to stop talking about these things.

I honestly think that the Hall of Fame should be something the people of the community consider to be something great, not just what a lone person might think is "great."

Although that could just only be my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back