SPOILER!! The Last Special Stage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawfulfan

The Tortured Planet guy
[spoiler:6c7274fbef]How the heck are you supposed to clear the last special stage as Sonic? I mean, it looks like there are some jumps that are physically impossible for Sonic to make. Tails and Knux can do it, but how is Sonic supposed to get the 70 rings in the exterior section?[/spoiler:6c7274fbef]

Spindash-thok.

It's not that difficult.

(You should've looked in the official TA topic before declaring this "impossible" as Sonic, y'know. =P)

The red platform can be reached from the start by just running, then jumping at the edge of where you start. You might need to hold down a bit once you land though, depending on if you somehow jump a little farther.

No thokking is necessary in SS7 at all. All the jumps were designed with the assumption that you wouldn't. Obviously, you can thok to go FASTER, but that's dangerous ^_~

Yeah, I finally got past that level as sonic after doing it as tails & knuckles, thokking is a NO. I found that out that in any situation you think you might need to thok, you should not. There is no area where thok is required to pass and you should never do it there ever. It took me awhile to get timing down for the middle part but it's possible, the gravity is weird.

"The gravity is weird"? What?

I was honestly expecting SS7 to be a lot harder judging by what all of the devs were saying in #srb2fun. :(

I find it pretty hard because my timing with Sonic can sometimes be off. Sometimes my finger twitches and clicks the mouse button, and I accidentally thok when I don't want to.

Definitely not impossible though, I came really close to beating it several times before I finally did. Took me a while though.

Jake said:
...clicks the mouse button, and I accidentally thok...

Wait, why, who what-- why the MOUSE for jumping? I know it might seem a means of ease, but the mouse is sort of a bad idea. Fingers on the mouse usually let themselves rest, and you end up holding down the buttons without realizing... But anyway, I've always found wasd with space to jump and shift to spin was pretty worthwhile on its own, simplistic... etc. etc.

ANYWHO!

To add to what Mystic said, I'm pretty sure EVERY level in the game is made to be finished with tails, if Tails couldn't fly. That is to say, even with his low speed, you should be able to finish any level with only the use of spinning and jumping.

Outside the special stage tunnel, you want to keep careful, accurate jumps. You'll note that all the rings in this stage are placed super-close together -- ease of gathering on such tight platforms.

Inside the tunnel, make sure your head doesn't slam against the ceiling. Try to jump when the target, down-moving platform is at the middle point between the rings and ceiling, as to just graze the ceiling, and land on the next platform as it passes the rings. (The only problematic point here is the middlemost platform, as it's a stack of these ring formations...)

Personally, I suggest getting the rings outside the tunnel first and foremost. Going through the tunnel takes more time than going around the outside. The outside has much thinner flooring, and it's really a bad idea to suddenly feel rushed by the timer, here - you'd fall off before the last 5 rings.

The time limit is 100.

Outside the tunnel should take about 50 seconds, inside would take 60 seconds.

As Sonic, a running-jump to the exterior parts is far superior to a thok which usually overshoots you.

ZarroTsu said:
Wait, why, who what-- why the MOUSE for jumping? I know it might seem a means of ease, but the mouse is sort of a bad idea. Fingers on the mouse usually let themselves rest, and you end up holding down the buttons without realizing... But anyway, I've always found wasd with space to jump and shift to spin was pretty worthwhile on its own, simplistic... etc. etc.

At this point I'm too used to not using the keyboard for anything other than simply moving forward and backward. Every other usable action in 1P mode, I assign to the mouse, so I don't have to look down on the keyboard to make sure I'm pressing the right mouse button. (I use the keyboard for other things like mouselook and ring toss.)

My finger twitches a little less these days, anyway!

Well, I have the jump button as mouse button 2, but it just gets in the way and TDM thinks he has to learn to use mouse2 to jump and not use space at all, which makes him look stupid.
In fact, I'll go remove that extra control right now.

ZarroTsu said:
The time limit is 100.

Outside the tunnel should take about 50 seconds, inside would take 60 seconds.

The inside for me taks about 50 sec everytime I go through it. And then I barely make it with at least 5 sec left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back