SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

Paper Mario Bros. Details »»
Paper Mario Bros.
Version: 2.2.0, by OtherChen (Hibernates every few months) OtherChen is offline
Developer Last Online: Nov 2017

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating: (1 votes - 3.20 average)
Released: 03-04-2015 Last Update: 04-06-2015 Installs: 4
Characters SOCs Scripts Re-Useable Content Sprites/Graphics

The Mario Bros. in a Sonic game? With even MOAR abilities?

MARIO'S ABILITIES
  • Press Jump in the air to do a Tornado Jump, and hold Jump afterward to drift slowly to the ground. You can strafe back and forth quickly, but your maximum speed is reduced.
  • Press Spin on the ground to throw a hammer. Hold Spin to throw it further, but don't hold it for too long or it'll fall out of your hands!
  • Press Spin in the air to crash into the ground with your hammer. Hold Spin to fall faster. It'll cause an earthquake if it hits hard enough.
  • Press Custom 1 to whip out a cape that spins enemies and players around. You can use it in the air at any time unless you've already done a Tornado Jump or are falling with the hammer.
  • Press Custom 2 on the ground to become tiny. You can run across water and fit into small spaces, but you can't use your hammer or throw rings. Press Custom 2 again, or wait for the timer to run out, to grow back to normal size.
  • Press Custom 3 while standing still to place a Warp Pipe. If you already have a Warp Pipe on the field, you'll teleport to it.
OTHER THINGS
  • Pop an Armageddon monitor, and you'll find yourself wrapped in pixellated flames -- you've got a Fire Drive shield! Most of your actions are faster (such as running and throwing hammers), you can shoot fireballs with Fire, and all hammer attacks will create fire bursts.
  • You can't shoot rings in Match with the Fire Drive shield, and it'll fizzle out in water. Also you're NOT immune to fire yourself.
  • Type PAPER_NOSCOPE in the console to disable the hammer target thingy.

LUIGI'S ABILITIES
  • Hold Jump while jumping to fall slower. Very powerful when combined with Luigi's strong jump.
  • Press Spin in the air to dodge attacks. This leaves you helpless until you land.
  • Press Spin near the ground to wavedash, propelling Luigi faster than his normal running speed. Be careful -- Luigi might trip on his own feet instead, especially if he has a shield. Mash Spin to get back up faster.

SINGLE-PLAYER BOTS
Add paperbros.wad AFTER adding both Mario and Luigi, and you can play as the Mario Bros. in single player.

With Mario in the lead, Luigi will just wander around aimlessly most of the time.
You can throw hammers at him all you want, and if you hit him with your cape he'll go flying.

With Luigi in the lead, Mario will pursue and attack enemies. He's not perfect, but he can easily hit most grounded enemies with a hammer, or jump to catch some airborne enemies.
Mario's AI will also engage and defeat SRB2's first four bosses without the player's help, but it may take a while (especially THZ).
If Luigi (you) is idle, Mario will start harassing him with hammers and the occasional cape.

ABOUT THIS MOD
The sprites are, of course, not mine -- they were ripped straight from Paper Mario 64.
The normal WADs use sounds from Paper Mario 64, Paper Mario TTYD, and Smash Bros. 64.
The "NS" WADs are smaller and use in-game sounds exclusively.
paperbros.wad has no sounds, and is compatible with both versions as long as you add it last.

UPDATE 2015-04-07 (v2.2.0)
  • Luigi can now wavedash, but runs a bit slower and can no longer float without jumping first
  • Removed power meter for Mario's air hammer

KNOWN ISSUES
  • You can use some abilities inside of zoom tubes. It won't break the game or anything, but I'll try to fix that soon.
  • Pulleys and THZ goo are a little wonky -- be careful using them while shrunk.
  • A very specific thing in ERZ will wreck Mario's entire Lua script. That may be fixed in the future, but for now just look at Rumia1's comment and don't do that thing they did.

Download Now

File Type: zip Paper Mario Bros. v2.2.0.zip (603.5 KB, 5498 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	paper1.gif
Views:	4099
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	6239   Click image for larger version

Name:	paper2.gif
Views:	2773
Size:	4.21 MB
ID:	6240   Click image for larger version

Name:	paper3.gif
Views:	2002
Size:	3.23 MB
ID:	6241   Click image for larger version

Name:	paper4.gif
Views:	1916
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	6242   Click image for larger version

Name:	paper5.gif
Views:	2095
Size:	779.9 KB
ID:	6309  

Click image for larger version

Name:	paper6.gif
Views:	1996
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	6310   Click image for larger version

Name:	paper7.gif
Views:	2348
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	6311   Click image for larger version

Name:	paper9.gif
Views:	1890
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	6335  

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 03-31-2015   #42
OtherChen
Hibernates every few months

The Whirlwind/Pity shield actually makes you fall even slower while Tornado jumping. Try using it in Match; it makes for fun sniper battles.

I think there should be a way to disable Whirlwind and/or Armageddon abilities within S_SKIN, so characters with B-in-the-air abilities don't have issues. Then again, we wouldn't have MOAR FIREBALLS if Mario could use the Armageddon shield properly.

Last edited by OtherChen; 03-31-2015 at 05:22 AM.
OtherChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015   #43
OtherChen

Default It's Weegee time

Added some screenshots. Haven't been able to bugtest this one thoroughly as usual so please post whatever you find.
Old 04-04-2015   #44
golteam

Another Issue? this time the Lua is broken. When you get an Armageddon Shield/Fire Drive Shield and you fire up the pipe, this is what you'll get.

EDIT: Issue is stable for now.

Last edited by golteam; 04-05-2015 at 12:57 AM.
golteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015   #45
OtherChen

Quote:
Originally Posted by golteam View Post
fire up the pipe
aww yeeee, light up that pipe mang
(Bug's been fixed.)
Old 04-05-2015   #46
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

Is Mario supposed to be able to throw hammers and use his cape in zoom tubes? because I just did.
I can recreate being able to use the cape but I'm not so sure about the hammer throwing

EDIT: Just recreated both and made a video here.
Sorry for horrible framerate

Last edited by Rumia1; 04-05-2015 at 01:53 AM.
Rumia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015   #47
Xkower8181
btw do not touch the sonic

I like the Luigi idea but i want him to have diffrient sprites than mario (even when on his beggining he was just green mario :P)

(Xkower8181 received a warning for this post: Use correct grammar and spelling.)
Xkower8181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015   #48
OtherChen

Luigi is here! With actual sprites! (Not a lot of them 'cause he doesn't have many back-facing sprites in Paper Mario 64, but whatever.)

Mario probably won't play well with zoom tubes for a while. Since it's not game-breaking, I'll get to it later rather than sooner.
Old 04-06-2015   #49
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

On the subject of game-breaking, there were some glitches that broke the entire script, involving hammering after dying or something, however I can't recreate that anymore... oh hey I just did it, lemme upload a screen cap of what it says

context:
Spoiler:
I jumped down this pit and for some reason there was no death plane, I tried to find the plane and after I did I pressed the hammer button, and then the script crashed with that error.

For whatever reason this is incredibly hard to reproduce, very specific and I have no clue why it happens but it does and breaks the script. It took me 3 attempts to reproduce it just now and it doesn't work with the pit right before this one, and now it doesn't work with the same pit I've been finding this glitch with.
Old 04-07-2015   #50
YevaEA
Christmas is H E R E .

Wow, this update feels a lot more fleshed out than before. Thanks for adding Luigi! But we've got a few bugs, so here ya go:
Spoiler: Pressing jump while holding spin makes Luigi jump even though you don't.
Spoiler: Shrinking while walking on goo, continuing to walk, and THEN letting of the button causes Mario to still walk.
YevaEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015   #51
Sony
A worthless member

These wads are awesome I had fun abusing Luigi like you said.
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #52
OtherChen

Default Metal-head Mario can move!

I haven't fixed any of the above bugs, but I did implement an AI for Mario. Go to Single Player, choose Luigi&Mario, and watch him throw hammers at things.

Then go to MAP03, MAP06, MAP09, and MAP12 to let Mario single-handedly defeat all four bosses within two to four minutes each. (Being invulnerable sure does help!)

Also, any bugs with Luigi's AI are perfectly OK. It IS Luigi, after all.
Old 04-08-2015   #53
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

"It's not a bug, it's a Weegee."

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015   #54
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

I started a single player game with Luigi and Mario to see what you were talking about with bosses, after the boss was done I left Mario to do what he wanted and it was hillarious. He started knocking Luigi around with hammers and such which is funny because that's exactly what I was doing with Luigi before XD
Old 04-08-2015   #55
Xkower8181

How this update is awesome and with tailspickup off it's even more fun
This is what I done with that (It reminds me off Mario & Luigi Bros Attacks)
Spoiler: Big Gif Warning
Spoiler: How to do

First in console type tailspickup off which makes Mario and Luigi solid to each other.
Second Let the leader jump on partners head (Mario as leader in gif and Luigi as partner in gif)
Third Leader jumps again then the partner jumps and leader lands on partner again and once after that leader jumps and can use his abilities to get higher or just to make stylish way to kill enemies ( you need to use player 2 here)
Old 04-08-2015   #56
Sony
A worthless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xkower8181 View Post
How this update is awesome and with tailspickup off it's even more fun
This is what I done with that (It reminds me off Mario & Luigi Bros Attacks)
Spoiler: Big Gif Warning
Spoiler: How to do

First in console type tailspickup off which makes Mario and Luigi solid to each other.
Second Let the leader jump on partners head (Mario as leader in gif and Luigi as partner in gif)
Third Leader jumps again then the partner jumps and leader lands on partner again and once after that leader jumps and can use his abilities to get higher or just to make stylish way to kill enemies ( you need to use player 2 here)
Exactly! I was thinking about that too! What I think your talking about is Mario and Luigi : Superstar Saga
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015   #57
Xkower8181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony View Post
Exactly! I was thinking about that too! What I think your talking about is Mario and Luigi : Superstar Saga
Actually i was playing that game on emulator before that. Coinsidence? I Think Not!
Old 04-14-2015   #58
golteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Chen View Post
I haven't fixed any of the above bugs, but I did implement an AI for Mario. Go to Single Player, choose Luigi & Mario, and watch him throw hammers at things.

Then go to MAP03, MAP06, MAP09, and MAP12 to let Mario single-handedly defeat all four bosses within two to four minutes each. (Being invulnerable sure does help!)

Paper Mario is very intelligent when he is a bot at Deep Sea Zone 3.
golteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015   #59
Saturn Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by golteam View Post
Paper Mario is very intelligent when he is a bot at Deep Sea Zone 3.
Mario also practically wrecked GFZ3, which was cool. Just don't rely on him in THZ3.
Saturn Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015   #60
Phil the hegi
Rest in Potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherChen View Post
*Fights for Luigi*
Jokes (Serious jokes) aside, Mario seems to be quite functional. Beautiful work, once again.
Old 04-18-2015   #61
Fawfulfan
The Tortured Planet guy

I love this character, but...can you possibly remove the charge-up meter for the midair hammer attack? Given that it's not used when Mario isn't on the ground, its appearance is incredibly misleading.