SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

Blaze the Cat v1.2 Details »»
Blaze the Cat v1.2
Developer Last Online: Sep 2017

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating: (2 votes - 3.20 average)
Released: 03-17-2014 Last Update: Never Installs: 3
Characters

It's about time I posted my Blaze the Cat update formally, and for the newest SRB2 release too!

This character skin is, sadly, still the same skin that was during 1.09 days, but at least she's properly colored this time around, and the animations aren't too shabby, at least. Hopefully this Blaze will hold you guys over until Hinote finishes her better version of this. =P

***UPDATE***

Updated again! Now Blaze's dress and her fur change color in the Blaze Alt file, so if you need to be easier to spot in multiplayer, this is the version you want!

***Special Thanks Goes To***

-SonicTheDalek, for the original life monitor icons.
-Senku Niola, for redrawing the head on Blaze's back-diagonal sprites.
-darkness claw, for the character select picture.
-Chrispy, for improving/making the spin sprites.
-SpaceKGreen, for the '06 Blaze model references and Alt Blaze's character select image.
-Katmint, for working some Lua magic to get her super form working again.

***Usage***

To use this character properly, she needs to be loaded from startup so the custom palette kicks in. (Don't worry, it doesn't mess with anything, and won't even conflict with Hinote.) This allows Blaze to be the proper colors I wanted her in originally.

Alternatively if you don't want her conflicting with another palette mod, (Assuming you're using one.) use the alternate Blaze WAD instead that excludes the custom palette. She's still a darker purple, instead of blue, thankfully. That version also has a hidden easter egg if you look for it!

***Screenshots***

***Screenies From Other Users***

Download Now

File Type: zip BlazeTheCat.zip (152.9 KB, 5792 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20000.png
Views:	14087
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	3834  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 05-05-2014   #42
.Luke

That was a long time ago, so I guess it could use more context.

Changing the color of a female character's clothes simply makes more sense. Colors clash more easily on a female since their clothes are usually a different color range from their fur. When you've got two contrasting color schemes going at each other, changing the less dominant one is easier on the eyes. (Because their bodies are smaller than the head.)

So can you imagine how badly some of game's palette swaps would go with a dark lavender jacket, like bright yellow fur? You would be pretty limited in what you can choose without hurting your eyes, unless you like funky Street Fighter II style alt palettes.

Male characters don't wear anything at all, (Unless it's a bad fan character, I've never seen a decent male Sonic FC.) so their fur is the only thing to palette swap, and it makes sense to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra
This needs to be in SRB2 now.
Somebody needs to make it a boss, or an enemy, or a playable character, anything!
Old 05-05-2014   #43
Speedwagon
likes to assault raccoons
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Luke View Post
Male characters don't wear anything at all, (Unless it's a bad fan character, I've never seen a decent male Sonic FC.)
Spoiler:
inazuma cri

I personally like it for the fur color to change. This allows for the character to be able to go in their spin animations when they go super and all.
Speedwagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014   #44
r543

Quote:
That was a long time ago, so I guess it could use more context.

Changing the color of a female character's clothes simply makes more sense. Colors clash more easily on a female since their clothes are usually a different color range from their fur. When you've got two contrasting color schemes going at each other, changing the less dominant one is easier on the eyes. (Because their bodies are smaller than the head.)

So can you imagine how badly some of game's palette swaps would go with a dark lavender jacket, like bright yellow fur? You would be pretty limited in what you can choose without hurting your eyes, unless you like funky Street Fighter II style alt palettes.

Male characters don't wear anything at all, (Unless it's a bad fan character, I've never seen a decent male Sonic FC.) so their fur is the only thing to palette swap, and it makes sense to do that.
Wasn't Amy changing her dress color because there was no pink skincolor ?
I made a edit of Amy to test color changing on the hair and it did work well, exept for some colors like yellow. For other gamemodes it's more noticeable that the player uses a different color if it's the main skincolor and it works way better in match where the character gets the right supercolor.

A different version of blaze that changes that color instead of the dress one ? I also noticed that blade changes the tail color(which is made out of the same color that the dress is), it would make more sense if only her dress changed and not her dress and skin color ?

Something different from the skincolors:
Both Blaze wads use different character select pictures, the one with the normal palette uses the light blue blaze character select pic, which looks strange because the character is purple and not light blue. I don't know what other people think about this wad but I liked the light blue version a bit more than the purple one, so maybe add a 3rd version ?(I could do the edits for free, no credit needed or anything).
r543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014   #45
Puppyfaic
*panting sounds*

It's understandable that you want it to be aestheticly pleasing, but from a gameplay standpoint having the fur change color makes more sense, especially when Blaze's dress is so small on that sprite that it's almost impossible to tell what color someone is.
Puppyfaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014   #46
.Luke

I guess some of you play Quake II competitively with the textures turned off? *bricked*

In all seriousness, fur-changing colors on female characters looks visually horrendous, and I don't want to maintain a third version of Amy or Blaze. I don't even play multiplayer myself enough to care. (Haven't touched online since 1.09.4 days.)

It's already tedious properly testing and applying updates to two versions, while not mixing up their individual differences. There has to be a compromise that will allow this without even more maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r543 View Post
Wasn't Amy changing her dress color because there was no pink skincolor ?
More because it looked ridiculous for her skin to change, if I remember correctly. I can't recall 1.09.4's palette cycle choices too well, but I'm pretty sure Pink was in there, even if it was one horribly conceived choice.
Old 05-06-2014   #47
r543

Quote:
I guess some of you play Quake II competitively with the textures turned off? *bricked*

In all seriousness, fur-changing colors on female characters looks visually horrendous, and I don't want to maintain a third version of Amy or Blaze. I don't even play multiplayer myself enough to care. (Haven't touched online since 1.09.4 days.)

It's already tedious properly testing and applying updates to two versions, while not mixing up their individual differences. There has to be a compromise that will allow this without even more maintenance.

More because it looked ridiculous for her skin to change, if I remember correctly. I can't recall 1.09.4's palette cycle choices too well, but I'm pretty sure Pink was in there, even if it was one horribly conceived choice.
I don't know what happened to the pink color that you used but the outline is from the super knuckles pink(on amy), so I had to change that to make skincolor changing work, but there is almost no difference in it. Changing the color so that the fur changes doesn't need many steps, in slade you only need to do like 3 things, change her dress color back to the original color, then fix the pink(if needed), remap the other color to green and then set startcolor and prefcolor. I've done a test on the colors and all but one(yellow) looked good, I can upload images of it if you want.

Updating it isn't a problem, it takes only 5 minutes at max to repeat the steps on the version that changes dress colors, if you want, I could do this, no credits needed.
Old 05-06-2014   #48
Puppyfaic
*panting sounds*

I agree. I tried changing fur colors on her and they don't really look that bad(startcolor 247):

However, I won't pester you on this any further. If you're that adamant about keeping color changing the way it is, then do what you like.
Old 05-06-2014   #49
.Luke

In the case of Blaze, I do believe her clothes and fur are within the same color range, so I could modify the Alt version's green jacket to purple like her fur is in the sprites. (I prefer using a character's canon color set while animating, instead of green.)

That way, nearly her entire body changes color instead of just her head or jacket. I really don't feel changing one part of the body or the other is as noticeable as a male character's body changing palettes, so it has to go full-circle or not at all for best visibility.

Getting Amy's whole body to change color will be a totally different story, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r543 View Post
I don't know what other people think about this wad but I liked the light blue version a bit more than the purple one, so maybe add a 3rd version ?(I could do the edits for free, no credit needed or anything).
You have to realize, every time I need to add a major change to the file, I would have to do the exact same thing, without screwing up, three times. That's half an hour of applying changes and play testing to be sure there aren't any oversigts or crashes for each version.

So a third version is not happening. It's too much trouble.
Old 05-07-2014   #50
.Luke

Double posting to say she's updated again! Too bad Slade doesn't work properly under WINE, (All selections are off by one lump, so it's totally useless.) so I had to change her dress to the proper color manually. She sure does look nice with the lavender palette cycle, it's actually better than it looked before!
Old 05-07-2014   #51
Puppyfaic
*panting sounds*

I appreciate you using our suggestions. Blaze really does look tons better.
Old 05-07-2014   #52
.Luke

No problem! While I like sticking to my design choices, comprises are also great when it can go both ways for everyone. That's why I always released two different versions of my characters, so more people can enjoy them.

The real kicker is getting Amy to be as visible as Mighty. I'm not sure what to do there, since her dress is in a separate color range from her face, and I highly doubt Lua could create a secondary palette range for swapping to the main's color.
Old 05-07-2014   #53
frozenLake

Well, you could always have the dress as a cape chase item, floating on Amy's frames, so you can switch two different things... However, it would look weird unless the dress was erased on the main frames... and then there is the issue of lag causing slight trailing of the dress... Large amounts of things to consider.
frozenLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #54
LightspeedX
aka PrismaticAngel

So, I've encountered a silly glitch with BlazeTheCat.wad. Apparently, adding her causes the THZ goop to change color.

Before adding:
Spoiler:

After adding:
Spoiler:
<toaster> i love you lightspeed
LightspeedX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #55
Puppyfaic
*panting sounds*

Huh. I actually prefer the changed goop color to the normal one.
Old 05-07-2014   #56
.Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightspeedX View Post
So, I've encountered a silly glitch with BlazeTheCat.wad. Apparently, adding her causes the THZ goop to change color.

Before adding:
Spoiler:

After adding:
Spoiler:
It's not so much a glitch, but a side effect of the palette swap lumps, oops. I had no idea the palette mod actually effected in-game textures, (It didn't seem to in 2.0.) that's interesting.

If you want less derps like that in the game, give the Blaze Alt file a shot. She surprisingly looks pretty okay in the vanilla palette.
Old 05-07-2014   #57
r543

I like the new change for the color but her dress now has the dark lines, which should be changed to colored outlines so it looks better on lighter colors. Blaze's Dress changed colors for the super for too, so this works great for it, now if we could only do custom palettes...

Here is amy with changeable colors, doesn't look too bad and I could make her other colors a bit brighter/darker without changing her pink or palettes.
Old 05-07-2014   #58
.Luke

Blaze's dress has always had black outlines, because there isn't a dark enough lavender for that. I feel it would make her look washed out. Otherwise, it's still a huge step forward for multiplayer users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r543
That's honestly not much better than changing her dress and boots. Now you actually have fewer parts of her body changing color, less than half of the sprite, and that's not going to be very noticeable at a glance. This is why I want both her dress and face to change color, so she stands out as well as any male Sonic character. I'm trying to think of a way to do it without a palette mod.
Old 05-07-2014   #59
J-town
Totally Not Zero

Quote:
That's honestly not much better than changing her dress and boots. Now you actually have fewer parts of her body changing color, less than half of the sprite, and that's not going to be very noticeable at a glance. This is why I want both her dress and face to change color, so she stands out as well as any male Sonic character. I'm trying to think of a way to do it without a palette mod.
As a colourblind, I can say that that change to Amy makes a huge difference. Plus, that's only the facing-the-camera sprite, there's much more changable colour visible on the other directions than that. Much easier to see than the dress, anyway.

It always bothered me that it was just the clothes of almost every clothes-wearing character that changed (unless the clothes WAS the most prominent bit, ie: Eggman) - makes it a lot harder to notice those characters while playing team-based gametypes.
Old 05-07-2014   #60
Puppyfaic
*panting sounds*

EDIT: There are plenty of darker colors that you can use for Blaze's dress outline. However, I understand if you don't want to do that because that'd take a lot of time to recolor the dress on every single fucking frame.
Still...don't you think this looks better?
Spoiler:
One other problem: Blaze's signpost picture goes under the border. Raise its offset by 3 pixels to fix the problem.

Last edited by Puppyfaic; 05-07-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-07-2014   #61
frozenLake

Transforming into Blaze's super form seems to turn her into some sort of... Darkspine version of herself. And the colors don't change one bit... this... doesn't exactly fit with the transforming animation, so I assume that this might be a bug.
frozenLake is offline   Reply With Quote