• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2 Bloopers/Machinima

Status
Not open for further replies.

CasualNick

(Not exactly sure how to word this...)
On youtube there is something called the "SM64 Machinimists Community"
(Not all of them are Machinimists)
It's a large Mario fanbase that makes comedic content based on the old Nintendo 64 game called Super Mario 64. I noticed that that some of these videos made by the more experienced members can attract as much as 1 million views. If the SRB2 community started doing this would it get more popular?
(Not that SRB2 isn't currently)

Edit: I'll just place these here...
Concept Video: http://www.mediafire.com/watch/09g61...20- Copy.mp4
Test Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSo4VhhFtKo

Last edited:
I actually think this COULD be a good idea. Plus, believe it or not, back in the day servers would fill up to 32 people. Everyone left because 2.1 is taking too long to be released. (Not complaining). But this could also be a helpful way to attract more people to Srb2. The thing is, the community most likely won't do it.

It would be pretty good but SRB2 is pretty limited right now so if someone was to make an actual Machinima using SRB2, a lot of hard work will have to be put into it instead of someone having little to no knowledge on making Machinimas make a SRB2 Machinima. To me, that would probably tarnish the game and the community.

Personally if I was a Machinimist, I would at least wait until 2.1 comes out which will (probably and hopefully) make SRB2 more customizable.

It would be pretty good but SRB2 is pretty limited right now so if someone was to make an actual Machinima using SRB2, a lot of hard work will have to be put into it instead of someone having little to no knowledge on making Machinimas make a SRB2 Machinima. To me, that would probably tarnish the game and the community.

Personally if I was a Machinimist, I would at least wait until 2.1 comes out which will (probably and hopefully) make SRB2 more customizable.

Actually, I've been working on some stuff to make it easier ^_^
I've made green screen wads, camera freeze scripts, and the basics needed for Machinimas.

Here's a old concept video showing what it can do:
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/09g61caghpm4o5d/Bauc - Copy.mp4

Last edited:
The last time i enjoyed a SM64 bloopers video was when i was 11, which is a really long time. I myself don't think it's a very good idea, i recall those videos being pretty lackluster, especially in the humor department. If you're gonna aim for a goal like this, srb2 especially, you might have to put a lot of work into this.

SRB2 isn't open-ended enough to be a platform for people to create content with. The bugs in the game aren't particularly funny, and it's really hard to read the text chat during videos. Characters move too quickly to be accurately captured, and the AI is very basic versus something like GTA where the NPCs interact to sometimes hilarious results. Not to mention that SRB2 uses sprites versus transforming models, completely quashing any ability to use the camera to your advantage.

Have you seen SRB2 roleplay videos where people stand around and yell out THIS IS WHOA I AM?!? in chat? Do you honestly enjoy that content? Wouldn't you prefer to be watching something with more substance? This is the problem.

Last edited:
I disagree Boinciel,
The problem isn't with SRB2 but the people who would try to make machinima with SRB2.
ANY engine is possible to make a decent machinima with! I myself specialized for a long while with making things in engines people wouldn't normally turn to and have won several awards for it.
It also has to do with the writing itself and the amount of quality you are willing to invest into making it work.

The amount of substance is only based on the content of the machinima itself. ;)

SRB2 isn't open-ended enough to be a platform for people to create content with. The bugs in the game aren't particularly funny, and it's really hard to read the text chat during videos. Characters move too quickly to be accurately captured, and the AI is very basic versus something like GTA where the NPCs interact to sometimes hilarious results. Not to mention that SRB2 uses sprites versus transforming models, completely quashing any ability to use the camera to your advantage.

Have you seen SRB2 roleplay videos where people stand around and yell out THIS IS WHOA I AM?!? in chat? Do you honestly enjoy that content? Wouldn't you prefer to be watching something with more substance? This is the problem.

Well someone woke up one the wrong side of the bed this morning :/
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/09g61caghpm4o5d/Bauc - Copy.mp4
I didn't find any of those issues when making this.

The bugs in the game aren't particularly funny,
Machinima/Blooper videos aren't about bugs.
it's really hard to read the text chat during videos
Machinimas/bloopers use Sony Vegas, not in game chat.
Characters move too quickly to be accurately captured,
Look at the concept video. Fraps can capture all of the frames.
Not to mention that SRB2 uses sprites versus transforming models, completely quashing any ability to use the camera to your advantage.
*cough*-md2
Also you can manipulate the camera with sprites.

Machinima isn't roleplay. Also watch the concept video.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back