SRB2MD: Alpha 2.1(.420) is out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2.1 is out soon !

I fixed the Moonblast spam, however there might be some minor glitches (please report them if it happends).
For unknown reasons it seems that these glitches often happend after you've finished the last level.

Sorry for the delay, V. 2.1(.420) is now out!

The major changes include...

Fixed!
Fixed the Moonblast being able to be spammed.

New!
Moonblast now has 3 levels. However, the game is not noticing you when it levels up. (lazy lol)
Changed a line in a script.
Added some admins&server only stuff.

I'm gonna host in 15 minutes, be ready scrubs!

Last edited:
i'm gonna host in 15 minutes, be ready scrubs!
~Last edited by "lat"; 1 hour ago

shet.

I'm so sad I lost my opportunity :(
Great additions man! I'm loving this mod~

Demon Sonic (Awesome return) is invincible. He is only weak once, or never has his weak spot exposed. If it was a hopeless boss fight, this would make sense but... nope.
Am I doing something wrong? Or is the boss 2op4me?

I like this mod a lot actually. It has a lot of potential, uses the new SRB2 2.1 features (LUA), and it actually implements pokemon fairly well!

Definitely wanna see where it's gonna go from here. Keep up the good work!

DON'T WORRY M16S ILL HOST AGAIN IN THE EEVEENING (because my internet is currently hating Sylveon :<) Or humping it to make baby Eevees idk

I will post 30 minutes before hosting, stay tunned m16s!

Concerning Devil Sonic, it's only vulnerable when it's on the ground :P
Also, listen very carefully to what he says if you kick its ass.

Btw, anyone knows how to make hopeless boss fihghts in srb2??? I mean if you die, you just restart the boss so yeah X)

Last edited:
Probably something more like this:

Sylveon tries to kill a boss, but it's way too powerful for him. He attacks Sylveon and makes him go down to 1 Hp, reaching 1 HP then makes something cool happen. I don't know, Goku suddendly appears and saves you with his E.T. powers and takes you to the titanic to save Waluigi.

I hope I actually notice when we are playing before I regret everything I've done with my life. Like playing Five Nights at Freddy's 3 instead of hanging out in that server. Darn you Scott Cawthon.

Last edited:
Probably something more like this:

Sylveon tries to kill a boss, but it's way too powerful for him. He attacks Sylveon and makes him go down to 1 Hp, reaching 1 HP then makes something cool happen. I don't know, Goku suddendly appears and saves you with his E.T. powers and takes you to the titanic to save Waluigi.

Who ever told ya Sylveon was a male? You should ask hi... I mean he-... IT the question.

Apparently.

btw noice dlc m19.
And don't worry about the server, I -hope- will host for like 4 hours or so.
I should start hosting from like 8 PM (French hour) if everything is fine.

EDIT:
So is Devil Sonic a he or an it?

Take the picture I posted above, replace Sylveon with DevilSonic, and BOY and GIRL by IT and HE.

OFFTOPIC: "IT" can either be he and she, so I think it means y-

...Oh my... This is becoming weird right now.
You two, don't... ._.

EDIT: Kay I've been waiting 10 minutes and no one so brb working on 3.0

Last edited:
You'd probably get better results organizing a netgame via the #srb2fun IRC channel. People typically won't see your post right away; it might be an hour or so when they do see it, but IRC is instantaneous.

Last edited:
I think you didn't say you were starting another server Lat, or am I just blind/dumb?

Anyways, I've been off playing with Sylveon, and I noticed that if you
do a Quick Attack during the Devil Sonic cutscene, you can move around freely. Also he apparently loves to fly, as this dude doesn't even come close to the ground.
I'm sure would wanna fix dat :3

I think you didn't say you were starting another server Lat, or am I just blind/dumb?

Anyways, I've been off playing with Sylveon, and I noticed that if you
do a Quick Attack during the Devil Sonic cutscene, you can move around freely. Also he apparently loves to fly, as this dude doesn't even come close to the ground.
I'm sure would wanna fix dat :3

"EDIT: Kay I've been waiting 10 minutes and no one so brb working on 3.0"
Alright alright, I'm gonna host another...

Concerning the QuickAttack glitch, it's because the stasis sector doesn't instantly take over the player's controls. I'm almost sure the same thing would happen with a spin I guess.

EDIT: Also it's a goddamn super sonic, why would it even come close to the ground? It just does that for taunting you :P (To avoid confusing Zappy, I said IT this time. But because I'm a pure idiot, I'd just say that you really have to listen what HE says when you defeat it.)
EDIT2: Master server is offline. gg.

Last edited:
So I gave the mod a spin after seeing some videos of it. I don't think the mod's bad, and there's a lot of potential for something really great here, but it needs a lot of work done to make it really enjoyable. Some broad points I can think of:

• Folks in IRC have been complaining that the levels are "devoid of content". Personally, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing in this mod's case; the overall design seems to be going for something more exploration- and combat-oriented than the action- and platforming-oriented level design that vanilla levels need. They do well for what they're meant to be, but a few issues I can think of:
    -
    • Try to vary your textures a bit more, not within each level, but between the levels as a whole. What I mean by this is try not to use the Lime Forest walltexture in every map. It makes the levels blend together and diminishes their individual identities, which are important for each level to have.
      -
    • You can probably stand to make the levels a bit more condensed, possibly reducing Sylveon's running speed if needed. There's a lot of empty space with dead running, and while that's not bad in moderation, especially with this type of level design, some of it could stand to be trimmed down.
      -
    • The design feels repetitive and forgettable at times, and that tends to be due to a lack of setpieces. You may want to consider using more of them.
      -
    • I often found myself getting hungry without being able to do anything about it. This might be because I tended to explore and try to get experience instead of heading straight to the end. Whether or not you do anything about this is your call; it might not be such a bad thing to do to challenge players.
      -
    • Randomness. I know it's not possible for SRB2 to generate truly random maps, but having a bit of that would be really nice for replayability. There's a linedef executor action that triggers another linedef executor chosen at random from a range of tags; that might be useful to, say, open up one of three entryways into additional rooms. (That said, be careful about how you do this, as it might make it easy to get lost in the maps.)
      -
    • BRIGHTNESS. The third level is borderline unplayable in Software. Turn up the brightness a tad.
      -
  • Combat is... not great. Most of the issues I have with the mod are here, so in no particular order:
    -
    • It's hard to feel the sense of level progression. I think this is mainly because the enemies you fight all throughout this part of the mod go down in one hit even at level 1. Work on making the player feel more powerful as they level up; in addition to getting better moves, the same enemies should take more time to beat at lower levels than higher levels.
      -
    • In the same vein, enemies should get tougher as the game progresses, to make those levelups meaningful. While a lot of this will probably come from using enemies with more base strength in later maps, you can also make the enemies already there stronger. The best way to do that would probably be to set a level header option for a "base strength" for enemies in each map, and scale their power from there.
      -
    • Crawla AI isn't gonna stay interesting forever. You'll definitely want to look into more advanced AI as the game progresses; maybe get some enemies using moves to counter yours. Once you can be sure the player will be able to deal with them, of course.
      -
    • EXP gain is very lopsided; absurdly fast with invincibility, but kind of a slog without. It might be a good idea to reduce the requirements for each level just a tad more, and override invincibility chaining to make it less powerful for experience gain. (Maybe 100 > 200 > 300 > ... instead of the game's default 100 > 200 > 500 > 1000 > repeat?)
      -
    • Here's a whole sublist for moves:
      -
      • I was able to select Moonblast at level 2, even though the game waited until level 5 to tell me I had it unlocked. Bug?
        -
      • Move use was incredibly glitchy; getting a move out was often a matter of luck as to whether the game would read my inputs. Definitely look into making that work better. (Although I've had a similar issue with another mod dropping inputs, so it might be a local issue?)
        -
      • See if you can find a non-obtrusive way to list all available moves on-screen somehow. While the current setup isn't a problem with only two moves, later on it'll become an issue. (Also, since moves can apparently be upgraded, you might wanna show the move's level alongside it.)
        -
    • I kinda wish the max hunger stat could be increased as you level up. If not that, then maybe make moves take off slightly less hunger as they increase in power? I felt like I couldn't use moves as often as I wanted to later in the game.
      -
  • The mod needs a bit of extra polish in some spots. Mostly in places where Sonic SFX are still in place, even when they no longer really belong; the jump sound, for instance, should probably be replaced, as should the ring sound for powerups.
    -
    • Give a little console printout when something is collected. Just saying "You collected a something" would work, to make it easier to learn what different things do.
      -
    • Any cechos should probably also mirror their output to the console. I like being able to scroll back up and see what's happened lately in the PMD games, and doing a similar thing here would be a small thing, but would improve the user experience for me, I think.
      -
    • I kind of want to comment on the Sylveon sprite not really fitting the rest of the game's aesthetic, but I also realize that getting fitting sprites for such a thing is incredibly difficult to do if you don't have the talent yourself. So I guess... consider asking around?
      -
    • Some things need more indication of what's happening. Particularly Giratina becoming vulnerable. Maybe play a sound of some sort for the duration of the vulnerable phase?
      -
    • Get your music looping properly. It's a small detail but reflects really strongly on the mod's overall level of polish.
I feel like I'm forgetting to touch on something, but I can't remember what it is. Regardless, that monster of a list looks daunting, but I like the mod overall. I just have a lot of things to say about it because I really like the concept. Most of the bullet points are small things, actually, so it's not a lot of work to tweak them.

Last edited:
I'm going to answer Red Enchilada's comment about Lua-related things:

• About levels:
    -
    • It's up to Lat' I guess.
      -
    • Same here.
      -
    • Once again, Lat'.
      -
      -
    • :/
      -
  • About combat:
    -
      -
    • Your idea with ennemies strongness set in map headers is great. I think I'll just do that, so Lat' will be able to change the values easily.
      -
    • With "move that counter yours" would you mean something like jumping or running away, or becoming intangible ?
      -
    • We're totally aware about bad balance for level-upping, we just choose random values since it is only an alpha. About chaining I didn't even know it did exist :V
      -
    • About the moves:
      -
      • I know about the Moonblast that is available at level 2. In fact the message is actually displayed at level 5, but on testing purpose I had changed the required level for it to 2 and forgot changing it again to 5 concerning move selection. It's just my mistake, so.
        -
      • I didn't make this part of the script, Lat' just copy-pasted the moves from some other character wads, so I couldn't say what is wrong with these. However, just in case, let's know you have to be walking fast enough to perform a Quick Attack, and the Moonblast requires 30 hunger (I guess you knew that).
        -
      • I might also display the move selected, and its level then. According to Lat', there will only be four moves though.
        -
    • About hunger, ask Lat'. I also suggested changing the maxhunger but he wanted to keep it like in Mystery Dungeon.
      -
  • About polishing:
    -
    • What about a short (and optionnal) tutorial ? So you wouldn't have to be bothered by console outputs every time you get an apple or a candy.
      -
    • I agree about csays, I'll make a function so prints are displayed on both screen and console.
      -
    • Up to Syl- Lat'.
      -
    • Agree, but it's Lat's part too.
      -
    • Saaaame.

Last edited:
Alright so I'm gonna try to explain myself on most points...

Level Design: Yup, I feel a little sorry that my level design is kinda shitty nowdays, but I think I'll be able to restart making somewhat good maps with the time. It's true that some areas are feeling empty (like that huge platforming section in EWZ around the tree) I should maybe add some repearing apples to help the Player finishing some sections without starving.
I could give a shot to some randomness, even tough I'm not sure of the result.

Combat: It's impossible for me to recreate the whole PMD mechanics so I had to use SRB2's common enemies. I tried to give a shot for other Pokemon enemies; I'm fully able to make them but it's gonna take very long for doing them, as I'll probably need 10+ enemies / level for diversity. About level-upping, I could give a shot for making the player deal more damages as it levels up, for instance os-ing redcrawlas. For XP, I should just totally remove invincibility because of how broken it is.
About your idea for enemy strenght, I totally approve! I could even make enemies like BlueCrawla run away from the player. Plus, it should be ad easy as running scripts for each level.

Move sublist:
Blame LJ Sanic for the Moonblast glitch, I told you why QuickAttack was "Glitchy" on my server, concerning the listeverythingintheconsole, I could do it but...
The damn HUD overlaps with the console, and idk if we could move from where console text appears, plus idk if the player would like having Omochao on its side again, unless it's just for important things. For the movepool, I could add a show/hide list.

For the maxhunger stat, I don't really know if it should increase.

Polish: It's almost impossible to find PMD ripped SFX with all I need in them, for cechos printing in console, I'll talk bout this at the end of the post. For sprites... I don't know if anybody in this world would even do this for me, and those are the best one I found on the net :|
For Giratina, it's not transparent anymore when it's vulnerable, and for the third time, I really don't know how to loop music and I never understood how to do it :|

So about cechos, I should print everything important as a cecho (boss beaten, events...) and also in the console if I understood right?
That feels interresting, but I would like to know what is really important to print as a cecho.

EDIT: Also it depends what do you mean by countering move? Sending back the player's Moonblast? (wait that seems a good idea,)

Anyway, I'd guess all I can say is thanks for the review, and also...
bind w haxx

EDIT2:
Red Enchilade

Sylvéon too?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back