Using Mousemove + Joypad in SRB2 Multiplayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

WedgeStratos

RENEWAL
So, I've noticed an interesting thing between my singleplayer, and multiplayer.
I run SRB2 Linux. As such, the mouse doesn't respond in the game. However, I do have a Saitek P2500 as an alternative. My game kept crashing (seems TiMidity++ midi doesn't like us) and I decided to test it in singleplayer. However, upon beginning to play, I noticed that the analog stick was using the Mousemove gimmick (the one where if turned on, moving the mouse from left to right would allow Sonic to turn and move left or right. Not strafe.) and after a while, I went "Awesome" an proceeded to multiplayer. But I learned that the joypad was using my standard setup (Forward/backward/turning on analog stick) and this is a hard setup, because the stick can be quite sensitive. Is it possible to use the mousemove gimmick online with a joypad?

Yes, you can use mouse and joypad in SRB2 multiplayer. I used to do it all the time before my gamepad broke.

I don't use mousemove though, I use "always mouselook". When I want to strafe, I press the middle mouse button to allow me to strafe. With this setup I always use firstperson mode to give me better control. The mouse helps give more precise turns and helps me aim at players in match, ctf, or tag.

Well, technically that's not the "Mousemove" method. As I explained, Mousemove enables the analog stick to freely move me in the direction I want, like a normal Sonic game (SADX comes to mind) But it turns into a crummy Arrow Keys system that is extremely hard to use the moment I hit online. I lost all my lives before even the first checkpoint in CEZ1 because of the Analog stick. Mainly because it doesn't have perfect sensitivity. This free movement in SP was pretty good, nonetheless. The strafing and such was easy for me to set up. I just put it on my shoulder buttons. I just consider my gameplay would be better for co-op if i had this mousemove function available in multiplayer as well. Was it disabled in general? I'm sure a ton of players would rather play the game with mousemove by default.

Last edited:
I think most people who play FPSs are more used to WASD + mouselook. That doesn't mean it can't be changed. SRB2 allows users to change into controls they are more comfortable with. Whatever control options you set up for SRB2 will stay when you open SRB2 again. I believe this is true of the Linux versions as well, though I can't remember where the controls are stored.

Wait, when you are talking about the mousemove system, are you talking about analog mode? If that is so, then you can't use Analog mode in Multiplayer. You can use analog sticks to move, you just can't use Analog On. This is to reduce lag, since analog mode uses a different type of camera then normal.

Lag isn't the issue. The issue is that only you know the position of your own camera, and as your movement with analog turned on is based on the camera...

Also, Torgo, remember that Alam's disabled the mouse in Linux builds because he fears it crashing and not ungrabbing the mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back