Choppy FPS during network games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goddratini

Been gone for a long while, got a "New" (It's two years old but like I said, haven't played in a while) laptop, and wanted to play this game again because I loved the Match and CTF modes. Well, for whatever reason, I run it real choppy whenever I enter a server.

I tried a little while ago to host my own server (Not listed on the MS), and it was fine. No choppiness.

Single player, fine.

I turn on FPS counter, 33-35/35 all the time.

I put resolution onto the lowest setting, still choppy.

Put SRB2 on "Above Normal" for priority in the processes. Dang near freezes my computer.

Even put all of the little graphic options down low, still choppy.

I dunno if anyone here might know, but may as well ask.

It's not your computer -- your Internet connection isn't good enough, or the server's internet connection isn't good enough.

It's not your computer -- your Internet connection isn't good enough, or the server's internet connection isn't good enough.
I can attest that this isn't the internet connection. I have the exact same problem for both of my Windows 7 machines when my old XP computers could run it just fine.

I think its been a known fact that windows 7 has problems with SRB2. It seems to play fine on single player. But when entering a server even with high speed internet. The game drops in frame rate and makes it unplayable. And even I notice this problem. I had a windows XP and a windows 7 OS on 2 computers. Well at least used to before my old pc died on me. Anyway I joined a server one day with my new computer I got and it was lag from hell. But then I turn on my old PC. And join the same server and there was not a single bit of lag to be found.

So its easy to just blame the SRB2 netcode since its very messy and I don't think anyone gonna take there sweet time to fix it.

But there is one way to kinda fix this known problem. Is to play SRB2 in windows mode on OpenGL mode. This will drop the frame lag in windows 7. If not then its the server it self.

I have never had these problems on my desktop :s Does it only happen on weaker systems? I should try it on my laptop sometime

This has come up time and time again, and yet it hasn't been reproduced to my knowledge (what I mean by that, is reproduced by people who don't have the issue in the first place). As I've mentioned before, I've had Windows 7 on two different machines. One of which is pretty vastly inferior to this one, in fact. They both work flawlessly in terms of framerate during online play either way. (Pentium 4 2.4GHZ CPU, 1.7GB RAM, slow AGP video card, 32-bit Windows 7 vs 2.7GHz quad core, 4GB RAM, moderately fast PCI-E video card, 64-bit Windows 7)

It must be some sort of program or hardware compatibility issue. With all the people who've had the issue, has anybody bothered to compare their hardware, or even what they've got running in the background? The only common ground I've seen behind the whole issue in the few times it's been brought up is "hurr durr windows 7".

Last edited:
What SF94 said; I have two computers running Windows 7, one being 10 years old, the other being 5 years old. (Yes, I don't have anything newer.)
Windows 7 itself runs fine, and SRB2 itself runs great; I have absolutely no problems with it.
Blaming Windows 7 for it is like jumping in a lake when you don't know how to swim and blaming the lake for drowning you.
(yay for bump; felt like I had to say this, though.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back