Christmas Feature For 2.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
the closest you're going to get to having Christmas Mode restored will in fact be in mod form again.

Yeah, I can see why a full Christmas themed mod would be a complete pain to do and be a waste of everyone's time.
but could sonic have a santa hat on the opening screen

Does anyone remember how adding "3DREND.DLL" would make everything Christmas themed back in 1.09.4? What was the purpose of that?

3drend.dll was the way to hide the resources for Christmas mode. the Main game when triggered would load up the replacement resources from that.

yeah, this was a lot more feasible in 1.x because it was a smaller game

I liked the feature, but it's going to have to be something user generated; even if we wanted it, it requires too much time and resources to be worked into the vanilla game

I'm actually working on that right now as part of the update to SRB2 the Past. I'm hoping to be able to release them soon.

Such useless feature should never be brought back, let us make Christmas themed levels instead, Restoring it would discourage us to do that .

Or, maybe not an unlockable, but perhaps a cosmetic feature that takes effect when the game knows it's December?

The game USED to have an effect that covered the world in snow. it was a terrible novelty gimmick that got old after a few minutes. unless someone wants to go through the trouble of creating an entire set of winter themed textures that actually look good that isn't coming back.

if you want a seasonal gimmick to actually make it into the final game, think small and non-intrusive stuff. like giving sonic a santa hat

That's what I meant. A few little things sprinkled around like that may be neat. But honestly, I don't think anyone really wants it badly enough to think about it when playing, let alone create it themselves.

Nah we don't need a Christmas extra. Someone, somewhere is probably working on a Christmas lua as we speak. Probably going to have snowfall and Christmas music. I can already visualize it.

The game no longer even checks your system clock at all. If you want a holiday mode, you're going to need to make a WAD. We're not putting the date-based features back.

Wasn't the old Christmas mode a date-activated cosmetic feature itself though? (apart from what it did in Demo 4 through Demo 4.35, anyway) Honestly, it sounds like you guys are asking for the same thing again.

Wasn't the old Christmas mode a date-activated cosmetic feature itself though? (apart from what it did in Demo 4 through Demo 4.35, anyway) Honestly, it sounds like you guys are asking for the same thing again.
Actually, may I ask what it did differently in Demo 4 through 4.35?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back