Sunset Ridge Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice

Pretty chill guy
I was kind of bored one day, so I decided to make a generic GFZ-styled level, with all of it's generic beauty. Though more importantly, I noticed that I was relying on 3D mode in SRB2DoomBuilder a bit too much. So I thought I would try to make this level completely in 2D mode, and this is my result. Gaze at it's GFZROCK textured walls:
PS: I modeled the level as if it were the first in a level pack, so it's not too long or too complex.

Sunset Ridge Zone:
srb20019-1.png

srb20020.png

I have particularly enjoyed how easy it is to design with this theme. Simple level design is always fun to play and to create (though I did steal some ideas from Sonic 3D blast, though just slightly).
I used the music Endless Mine from Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
Here's the link: http://srb2ffh.supersanctuary.net/391SunsetRidge.wad
If there's anything you want me to add as extra, let me know. Oh, and the sky still has an ugly black line at the bottom (top?). This is the fastest time I've ever completed a wad, especially when editing exclusively in 2D mode.
Combined amount of time worked: Probably 7 or 8 hours total.

Nice sky texture, I like sunsets ^^
I'll be trying the level soon and give you my opinion. However, I'm not very good at judging levels xD

I just judge them by how much fun I personally had ^^"
(That's what I find most important)

Any criticism? I still want some comments on the level and how I could make it better...

The blue spring in the water could be easier to see. Or you could just lower the floor. I was stuck there for a minute trying to find my way out of the water.

spring.png

I think what you could have done with the current in Cheese's picture was make it go the opposite way it currently goes, since you have to take the blue spring in the beginning back again if you fall.

The level itself is really good, there's nothing wrong with it. It would be very good in something like the first level of a mod, but as it is it leaves something to be desired.

Amazing. Just amazing! I love this level. It really goes with the music, but Cheese was right about the blue spring though.

Sunset Ridge Zone, 5/10
Completely and utterly average. There is the occasional non-linearity in the stage, but it really needs more content. No gimmicks, no real challenge, just totally average.

PS: I modeled the level as if it were the first in a level pack, so it's not too long or too complex.

I see. Well, I definitely liked it, and I thought it would make an excellent first level to a level pack. It's about as simple as you can get without turning it into another GFZ1. Also, the music isn't set to the correct number.

Before I play it, I'd like to note that most levels get their gametypes printed in front of them. Example: scr_SunsetRidge.wad

:SonicMaster: said:
Sunset Ridge Zone, 5/10
Completely and utterly average. There is the occasional non-linearity in the stage, but it really needs more content. No gimmicks, no real challenge, just totally average.
Which when combined with the fact that this is meant to be styled like the first level of a level pack, apparently means that it's fit for purpose. Not every zone needs to be a cornucopia of magic, shininess and spontaneous cosmic enlightenment. Maybe the zone could so with a bit more depth, but it's certainly fine for a Zone 1 Act 1 of any pack. I'd hate to be introduced to a level pack by Nuclear Sunset Zone, personally.

I'd like to see a sunset-like colormap. Something like what I did in my Sunset Gardens (?) Map.

I'd hate to be introduced to a level pack by Nuclear Sunset Zone, personally.

Hm, sounds like not a bad idea for Centigrade. The levels are both quite easy and relaxing. Both acts are truly great. Of course, this all is BlueZero4's decision, anyway, so whatev.

I'm downloading it right now, but from the screenshots, it looks to me like the sky texture needs fixing. It just looks a bit too pixely to me.

Edit:
It was actually pretty good. It's just real short, I finished it pretty quickly. I'd also recommend texture alignment in some areas, and to fix up the sky. Other than that, it's pretty generically good.

I played this twice yesterday. "Endless Mine" suits the stage far better than Azure Lake, and gave it a peaceful feeling. The custom sunset was perfect, and the level's layout was pretty interesting, even for a simple beginning zone.

If you ever decide to make a level pack, Ice, this stage would be a perfect choice for the first zone, inviting players to see what later stages have in store for them.

sonicfreak94 said:
I'd also recommend texture alignment in some areas

Care to say which areas? I liked this simple mapping because it seemed to keep the textures in line, but since the textures seem to need some aligning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back