Monster Iestyn's Old Levels Pack (MI_oldlevels.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monster Iestyn

Fangtastic
OK. This is basically an archive of my old levels, including early versions of levels in my Doomsday Pack Mod, even ones that have not been released yet. Note that all the level designs are completely different, and most aren't very good at all.

Here is some info about each of the 16 levels; 15 SinglePlayer, 1 Match, along with screens for each one:

Weather Station Zone
srb20079.png

My very first map. Made in 1.09.2. Was intended to have changing weather for every time you enter the next area, but I had no idea how to do that. It should be a bit decent for a first level, and there aren't too many enemies or rings either. It even has a thok barrier. The button at the end doesn't go down because I didn't know how to do that at the time, yet it still works. I have still no idea why I put in that Black emerald, especially in the main and only path. I put in the Hydro Plant music because it was my favourite SRB2 music at the time.

Volcanic Forge Zone
My first 3-act Zone that I ever made. Was originally intended to be a 4-act Zone, but I only made Acts 1, 2 and 4. It was also meant to follow on from Castle Eggman Zone 3. All acts made in 1.09.2.

Act 1
srb20080.png

This is the first of the 3 acts of Volcanic Forge, of course. Apparantly I didn't understand how I was supposed to make Lava harmful, and I only made the floor which it covered harmful. Plus, I used crumbling blocks that float on water and don't respawn for the floating platforms, plus they are all the same tag, so they all bob together. It's quite a short act. I don't think the path that leads back to the beginning was a good idea. For some reason, in the statistics it says theres 2 emblems to be collected, yet I did not place any in there... Wierd...

Act 2
srb20081.png

This Act's beginning was supposed to be like the end of the previous act i.e the bottom of the pit with the crumbling block at the top. I consider this shorter and more cramped than the previous act. As with Act 1, I had only made the floor of the lava harmful, so this means the waterfalls at the beginning will do no harm unless you fall to the bottom of it. This map also included some secrets, which are just an Extra life and a Speed-Up.

Act 3
srb20082.png

Originally Act 4. As Act 3 was never made, this became Act 3. The lava was supposed to rise as you fought the boss, and that if you took too long it would reach the top of the cavern and instant-kill you. But I didn't even manage to make it do that, and it only does the usual fire damage, plus you can't get out without dying. Trouble is, the boss arena is also small, and theres plenty of chance you might fall off it if you're not careful. There's also an Egg Capsule.

Chaotic Ruins Act 1
srb20083.png

This level was going to be part of another multi-act Zone, like with Volcanic Forge, but only this Act was made, which shows how bad I am at finishing things... This level had the Hydro Plant music like with Weather Station, but it seemed to fit better with this than that. It's another short Act... -_- Made in 1.09.2.

Creepy Castle Zone
srb20084.png

One main feature included in this is the fact that there are emblems in this level, and not in any other! They don't really do anything though... This is another short map, as well as being cramped. There is also a section where there are lots of springs, and they take you to one of the 3 routes, depending on which route with the bustable wall from the checkpoint you took. Made in 1.09.2.

Blossom Gardens Zone Act 1
srb20085.png

An early version of the already released Act 1 of BGZ, but is nothing like it apart from some textures and the music. Be careful about the zoom tube bit, as there's a bug in it that makes you stuck in it if you go backwards. It is one of the only 2 non-boss acts that I made that had an Egg Capsule at the end rather than an Exit sign. I replaced this level because it was no good for the standards I want for my mod.

Mech Mountain Zone Act 1
srb20086.png

Quite open in some areas. It seemed more like a mountain than the current version, but not as difficult or long.

Mech Mountain Zone Act 3
srb20087.png

The only boss level in this level pack. It was quite detailed, and I thought it was a good boss level. Later, I wanted to replace it with one that was set on an upwards-moving platform. I managed to complete that new version, which is why this boss is in this level pack.

Deadly Dunes Zone Act 1 (V1)
srb20088.png

This early version of DDZ1 never finished, and I thought it was rubbish compared to what I wanted it to be like. The last quicksand block has a secret bit underneath it, and apparantly lets you move faster than normal when you're in it...

Deadly Dunes Zone Act 1 (V2)
srb20089.png

Now this version of DDZ1 was much more like what I wanted it to be like, and has palm trees, lots of quicksand, crushers. In order to get to the red spring on the Arch-like structure, you have to bounce on enemies. The reasons why I didn't keep this level were that it was short and a bit easy, and that I wanted I to be more like a canyon than ruins. I have the special stage sky because it looks more like the sky I wanted it to be.

Firey Furnace Zone Act 1
srb20090.png

This early version of FFZ1 is cramped, not so difficult, and short. It is the other of the 2 non-boss levels that have Egg Capsules at the end rather than Exit signs.

Arctic Valley Zone Act 1
srb20091.png

This early version of AVZ1 was never finished, but is not so easy as some of the Zones/Acts before it. I decided to remake this level, but I kept the beginning part of it because I liked it.

Cloud Heavens Zone Act 1
srb20092.png

Another rubbish, unfinished level. The newer version of this Doomsday Pack level is much more open and difficult than this, and even has the Airborne Temple music rather than the overused AGZ1 music used in levels like this. The bit where I got to in the making of this level was going to be split into 3 routes, separated by the difference in height and the moving lift that might crush you if you're not careful.

Haunted House Zone Act 1
srb20093.png

The hardest of the levels in here, mostly because of that huge tree with all those branches. I suggest that you should destroy the lone Jettysyn Bomber before going onto it, and getting the Wind Shield on the bottom branch to make it a bit easier. This level's another unfinshed one, and is the last of the SinglePlayer levels in this pack. If you manage to complete this, you get the Level Select as a reward for your hard work (which I guarantee that you spent most of it on completing this Zone!).

Coal Mine Zone
srb20094.png

My first Match level, which is supposed to be set in a Mine. Unfortunately, as I have just found out, you can get the 'World Of Pain' combination, which is obviously the most overpowered weapon ring combination. This was also made in 1.09.2.

Here is the download link, Sendspace only:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/jvjup4

It's taking too long for SRB2FFH to upload this WAD, and it always ends up as 'Cannot Find Server', so if you want the download for SRB2FFH, or hate Sendspace... tough luck.

Also, these are old levels, so you can't tell me to improve them because they have already been seen as not so good levels, and have been archived and put into this WAD for you all to enjoy... if you can, that is.

EDIT: (21st August 2008) I've reuploaded the link, after being asked by PM.

I was thinking of making the same kind of level pack, I'll download them later and tell you what I think about them.

Thanks guys. I'll be waiting for your comments.

I'm not sure whether I might add more old levels to this pack, depending on whether there will be any more or not.

I might want to get an answer from the rest of you to help settle my decision. I have great trouble with decision-making in most situations.

Here is something that I think you could do:

Improve the maps a bit, so they won't be totaly terrible, it will give you a little more practice with level editing.

What ever maps that you have that you don't use for any mods etc. add them to the archive.

All I can think of right now...

That's OK, but I wanted to keep them as they are, with exceptions like adding exits to the ones that were never finished. Thankfully, there are almost no bugs in any of them at all. Nor missing textures.

As for adding levels that I won't use for Mods etc., I agree with you. But I was expecting a yes or no to what I said on my previous post.

All the levels look impressive. I'm getting it right now. Just one thing, though. You shouldn't name it with MI_ in the beggining. It's always meant to show the gametype. But since a lot of people do it, then it's not that big a deal. I personally don't mind at all.

Chaos Zero 64 said:
All the levels look impressive. I'm getting it right now. Just one thing, though. You shouldn't name it with MI_ in the beggining. It's always meant to show the gametype. But since a lot of people do it, then it's not that big a deal. I personally don't mind at all.

I purposely put in the 'MI_' bit to try and keep it from getting mixed up with other Wads that may be called 'oldlevels.wad' if there will be any, and to show that it's my archive of levels (with MI as an abreviation of my username, of course!). But yeah, I didn't need that '_' in the Wad name.

I'll be waiting for your comments and reviews for the levels once you've played it. I'm glad this topic hasn't been ignored as much as my first level release, r_sonic_factory.wad, with only a few replies in total...

Since these are obsolete I'm not sure how much I can criticize. It seems you already know where things are too cramped and where they are too open by your commentary.

Also, I don't like the fact you have to rely on the shield to continue, but I actually enjoyed the tree. I found it challenging but not pathetically cheap like some other things I've played. Maybe you should use it as a path to a bonus or something, minus the pit of course (maybe slime or something) in the final level pack.

I understand this were your first levels, so I didn't mind how they were made. They're still cool, since there's lots of effects everywhere. And just like SRB1, the length of the level pack made it interesting. I was finishing Creepy Castle Zone, thinking it was already the last level, when I happen to warp to the next level. I kept going through all the levels, usually finishing around 0:45 seconds, until I reached Haunted House Zone. I had about 7 lives or so, and lost them all, plus one Continue, because of the Tree. It was too hard for me as Sonic to get to the top, and I kept falling down.

But I still liked all the levels, and enjoyed the length of it.

Even I can't really get past the tree part of Haunted House Zone without getting the Whirlwind shield. Although I have managed to get past it without the shield as Sonic a few times. It's very hard to be able to do so, but it relys on charging up your spin behind some of the blue springs to allow you to cross the big gaps between some of the branches. Just make sure you remembered to destroy that jettysyn first.

Haunted House Zone, the seventh and last of the normal zones in Doomsday Pack, is meant to be very hard like that tree was. But I felt it would be too annoying for you to stand, so that's why I've started to re-design it. I expected you all to say something like that, and I promise the newer version of that zone in my upcoming Doomsday Pack mod will have better designed high-difficulty bits unlike that crooked old tree that is annoying to climb. And maybe I could make it more creepy just to go along with it's name, but I'm not putting those freaky ghoul enemies from GHZ that nev3r made to achieve that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back