What's with all these Next-Gen Consoles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
every time I see a video game commercial, they often include versions for the next gen consoles or release for only that console, and they slowly stop making games for their predecessors. Why?

Yes, but it also takes more money. Developing for multiple platforms isn't cheap and easy, ya know.

Even though the consoles have unique controls, the XBOX 360 and Playstation 3 have great quality, but video games are not made for High resolution and fast-paced gameplay; that's why Sonic 2007 slowed down occaisonally. If they provide software to upgrade an old console to a new console, there are less natural rescources used in the process of making the consoles. Besides, they still haven't gotten the bugs out of XBOX 360 and PS3, and the XBOX 360 is known to freeze frequently.

AdamTheHedgehog said:
Well, I'm just saying, it rakes in more money when the games have versions for all consoles

Is that the reason all the disney sponsored video games fail at taking little kids money?

luis90 said:
AdamTheHedgehog said:
Well, I'm just saying, it rakes in more money when the games have versions for all consoles

Is that the reason all the disney sponsored video games fail at taking little kids money?
I don't know, either that, or Disney has lost its appeal.

AdamTheHedgehog said:
If they provide software to upgrade an old console to a new console, there are less natural rescources used in the process of making the consoles.

Understand the difference between hardware and software, then come back.

From what I understand,
Hardware = something inside your computer
Software = Programs

Right?
Also, the new consoles can play the old games can they not? They still do make them for most consoles, but if you have the newer console there are better features. Like windows vista and XP *shot*

Just like when you play PS2 versions of sonic games, buy a GC and end up exploding your PS2.

sonicfreak94 said:
From what I understand,
Hardware = something inside your computer
Software = Programs

Right?
Also, the new consoles can play the old games can they not?

Yes, but at different degrees. Hardware with different architectures to the older ones will have to use Software emulation unless the new system contains the vital parts of the older system, but new systems based on the same architecture as the older ones (such as the Wii) it doesn't need software emulation or the older system's parts, it can play the older games natively.

All next-gen consoles are backwards-compatible as far as I know. The problem isn't that really. The problem is that there are some games that take advantage of bugs the old hardware had but are fixed on the new hardware, and that causes them to crash. Also some programmers don't learn and make use of stuff they must not be using, like unused reserved fields or invalid modes, as they may change in later models and cause the game to crash.

Conclusion: kill programmers :P

My Madden o2 tried to access the gamecube memory card on the Wii. It froze for a sec and then had to reboot. :P

Somewhat offtopic, but I'm not sure the Wii dosen't use emulation. I've encountered minor bugs in some games that I don't recall from playing them on the GCN.

Well, the wii has what's known as a "Virtual Console" System, in which the user can download software to play on the Wii. Whereas, the Wii itself has wireless compatability with the Nintendo DS and you can hook your GameCube up to it.

GCFreak said:
Dude, the Wii is a GameCube. :)

That can handle better graphics without the constant slowing down.

:D

Think about it.
If they stop making games for other consols then people will be forced to buy new consols to play the new games on.
Its all about the market.

Make old games and new games (costs more)

OR

Make new games forcing gamers to get new console if they want to continue playing (Costs less)

What makes more money?

Fish hook said:
GCFreak said:
Dude, the Wii is a GameCube. :)

That can handle better graphics without the constant slowing down.

:D

Think about it.
If they stop making games for other consols then people will be forced to buy new consols to play the new games on.
Its all about the market.

Make old games and new games (costs more)

OR

Make new games forcing gamers to get new console if they want to continue playing (Costs less)

What makes more money?
I think making games for older consoles is better because it allows gamers a chance to play with his/her console.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back