Unofficial v2.2 Discussion Thread

Thanks for the quick response!

As for THZ1's MIDI, I don't even make MIDIs anymore so I suspect it probably won't be changed at all (but I could be wrong). Whoever made the digital version clearly decided to divert from the MIDI a fair bit, it's also got some synth pads the MIDI doesn't have. =P
I did make a version of THZ1 with the pitch corrected, if it helps.

OKAY, FINE! I snuck it out of a Temp folder after using the free trial of a MIDI pitch changer! But... it still works, right? Right?

Haha, they're too good for this world. You will likely never receive them in your lifetime, mere mortal. =)

(of course I could be wrong)
You're not wrong. We mortals are too weak to withstand the power of the mighty Big.

The only Big sprites that were made are the ones you see. The WAD we used to make those screenshots contains precisely two sprites, the diagonal sprite was used for everything but idling, which used the fishing sprite.

Sorry to crush your dreams, but it was an AFD joke through and through =P

Here's my responses to the questions MI couldn't quite answer:

* Smiles does not currently have swimming sprites, but DOES have swimming states such that she can get them in a future patch without too much hassle.

* Sadly, development standards do not lean in favour of easter eggs. I implemented one, but had to disable it when it was discovered. If you've got a keen eye, you'll probably be able to find the #IFDEF'd remnants of it in the code - but it won't be accessible in release builds (and doesn't bode well for other fun non-main-game stuff we could do at some point).

Last edited:
The only Big sprites that were made are the ones you see. The WAD we used to make those screenshots contains precisely two sprites, the diagonal sprite was used for everything but idling, which used the fishing sprite.

Sorry to crush your dreams, but it was an AFD joke through and through =P
Kinda what I figured. Big.wad must've been pretty empty, then.

EDIT (to prevent double-posting): I don't know if anyone is going to see this for a while, but I wanted to share an opinion.

I've noticed that in older v2.2 screenshots, the sky for Greenflower Zone was a much darker blue, and made it look similar to the clouds seen in some Christmas Demo levels.

For comparison: Before | After

To be honest, I kinda like the darker sky better. I don't know exactly why, I gues it just make the level feel more... colorful? Nostalgic, maybe? I don't know. But basically, I think the darker blue sky should be restored because the bright sky just looks too bright and doesn't really look the best.

But that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
I've noticed that in older v2.2 screenshots, the sky for Greenflower Zone was a much darker blue, and made it look similar to the clouds seen in some Christmas Demo levels.

For comparison: Before | After

To be honest, I kinda like the darker sky better. I don't know exactly why, I gues it just make the level feel more... colorful? Nostalgic, maybe? I don't know.

I agree with this, I think the first sky texture color looks and works better.

About Tailsmiles having swim sprites... That would either look very weird when another player latches on (which isn't too uncommon in singleplayer with Sonic & Tails when wanting to reach somewhere, I think), look very weird when noone latches on, or require multiple sets of sprites, for swimming with and without a player latched on.

And with sprites for a player having latched on, that would either result in some probably-weird-looking swimming, or not being able to swim upwards while carrying someone. (For reference, the latter is the case in Sonic 3.)

I'm unsure which of these I would prefer, but that's probably mostly because of the whole "change is bad" mentality thing people (including me) probably have, as Tails currently just remains in the flying animation underwater, so that's what I'm used to.

Easy, have Tails switch to normal flying animation when carrying someone, and switch back to swimming animation when not.

Tails cant pick up anyone in water in sonic 3 at all so would this be implemented in 2.2 at all?

Actually, Tails can pick up someone in sonic 3 in the water, he just can't swim after he does so.

Actually, Tails can pick up someone in sonic 3 in the water, he just can't swim after he does so.

So are we gonna think this works like in Sonic 4 Episode 2? In said game, Tails is able to carry Sonic AND swim whilst doing so. Sure it's the modern designs, but it's the closest I could find to what we currently have.

So are we gonna think this works like in Sonic 4 Episode 2? In said game, Tails is able to carry Sonic AND swim whilst doing so. Sure it's the modern designs, but it's the closest I could find to what we currently have.
Seems like a neat idea to me. Wouldn't even need that many new sprites; just edit the tails off of the flying sprites and add the ones from the running sprites. Plus rotations, that gives us a total of 30-48 sprites.
Assuming we add a second frame, doing it Sonic 3 style would require 10-16 sprites. If we only do one frame for Sonic 3 style, it's only 5-8. Since the game already works like it does in Sonic 4 E2, I'd assume we'd be going for that sprite number.

Yeah, this. You had to use Tails less as a carry and more as a series of handlebars, constantly jumping and latching on with Sonic as Tails ascended to the point where you could get out of the water and fly normally.

It was a game design decision to allow Tails to carry you underwater. Doing the 'handlebar' trick would be a total pain in 3D.

Fickle left this on #srb2-discussion for maybe 5 seconds before deleting it:

0TUs516.gif

You're not hiding your v2.2 leaks from us this time, Devs!

Choo choo.

Man i still love that global Colourmap. The train gives me vibes of a Chase boss level?!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back