What would you like to see in SRB2 using Lua?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotdSpork

Mafia? Zombies? Gold spork?
I was noticing lack of lua based entries in releases lately and started thinking to myself, what is it that people want? So I create this thread for you to drop your ideas about what you would like to see accomplished in SRB2 using Lua scripting and why you want it in the game.

Personally, I think it would be neat to see parkour ala sonic lost world. It would be interesting to navigate the maps using those abilities. Imagine how many different ways you can complete arid canyon zone using a wall running mechanic.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing some replies! Cheers.

I was noticing lack of lua based entries in releases lately and started thinking to myself, what is it that people want? So I create this thread for you to drop your ideas about what you would like to see accomplished in SRB2 using Lua scripting and why you want it in the game.

Personally, I think it would be neat to see parkour ala sonic lost world. It would be interesting to navigate the maps using those abilities. Imagine how many different ways you can complete arid canyon zone using a wall running mechanic.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing some replies! Cheers.

Running on walls? - Okay I understand if it's practically impossible, I attempted it before. But I guess I'm kinda lazy when it comes to Lua, so... You might be able to do a better job?

I'd like to see more seperate game-like mods similar to Dumbventure ...TOO?! made with Lua. Not necessarily an entire butchering of the engine, but instead a different game using SRB2's engine as a base of sorts. What game is up to the person making it, really!

I guess it's not really solving the problem of the empty Lua releases thread since such a wad would go into Mods, but it's definitely amazing watching people make a whole new game out of a pre-existing one (which in of itself was made from Doom, like holy crud.)

I believe this is a question people should ask themselves rather than ask others.

It's not necessarily a bad question to ask to others for ideas, but it's much more interesting and genuinely more personal to ask yourself what you'd like to see made and to try to challenge yourself to make it. Of course I've thought of things that I'd like to see made with Lua, but I always wanted to actually try my hand at coding it headfirst instead of asking whether or not everyone else would actually be interested about it.

Jasper's Shooting Star, for example, was actually inspired by the Machine Gun weapon in Cave Story that allowed you to fire bullets downward when it was at its strongest level to propel yourself upward. However, it didn't only propel you upward. If you shot it at timed intervals, you can basically hover in the air in the same position and also keep your horizontal momentum at the same time. With Jasper's quicker spindash, it became a very potent idea in the long run and I was more than ready to try my hand at learning enough Lua in the first place to make the ability happen for real.

Stuff like this is really gratifying to make and share with others, and to be proud of something you managed to come up with is probably one of the best feelings I've experienced living. If a lightbulb flashes in your head with an idea you really like, don't just give up on it; work on it here and there and follow it through. You never know, it might become something more than just an idea.

For me, I'd really like to see more mechanics from other games (Sonic or not) ported over to SRB2, just to show what the engine is really capable of now, stuff like Sonic Heroes abilities like the wall jump, triangle dive and team blast (maybe even a second bot if anyone's willing to make that), or a more accurate Mario powerup system, or heck, even some less character specific things like more use of Axis 2D and Pinball mechanics or even custom mechanics that I haven't even thought of.

I feel like these are the kind of things that shows off that SRB2 is a really good engine for not only replicating the feel of the classic Sonic games, but other games and things as well that you wouldn't really expect to see put in the Doom Legacy engine (Perfect examples of this would be stuff like the Quickman series, Cloud Convoy, and even to an extent Kart Krew's mods), a lot of the things I've seen so far were and still are surprising, because In all my time of playing I never realised the engine would be capable of such feats.

Last edited:
Here's my list.
  • Real horror mods. 1.09 and 2.0 had a few great ones, but SOC wasn't as capable as it is now, plus SRB2's Lua interpreter didn't exist back then. The fact that horror mods are a completely different genre than SRB2 is what makes me love them. Plus, you can change almost every aspect of the game, so there's no need to worry about Sonic characters, noises, or graphics ruining the immersion.
  • Custom game modes. Creator.wad is a perfect example. If I ever finish the one I'm making, I'd love to see more from other people.
  • Enemies and bosses with smart and complex AI that can tackle more than one player, making even several players have no advantage. The boss would also need to have its spawnhealth scale according to the number of players. I'm probably going to make one of these if my motivation can persist.
  • Roguelike mods. Would love to see pseudo-random level generation such as randomized monitors, enemies, and spawn locations, combined with the random triggers present in some maps such as SkorneDemon's Sonic Corp. Oh, and permadeath. One life, no continues.
  • An AI director that tracks player performance and spawns enemies nearby but out of sight if the player is doing well, or replaces some ring monitors with shields if the player is doing badly.
  • Bots. Pretty sure I saw a work-in-progress somewhere, though.
  • Match reworks. Playing the same game with the same weapons can get boring, but changing it completely would make me come back to Match over and over.
  • Survival-type gamemode. Depending on how you define survival, this could be either some form of Chaos mode or a huge map with a predator-like boss that hunts you down.
  • Characters with really unique traits. Brak's scale, Shadow's friction, etc.
This is a long list, so I'm sure I've listed something that somebody else won't have to.

Last edited:
ideas

* Better camera transitions (capable of going from one point of view to an other by traveling the distance between them smoothly)
* Bots
* LUA miracle to improve the netcode ? (Is it even possible ?)
* Video cutscenes without color restriction (I know I'm asking too much)
* And what about a ranking system like Tekken 6 ? (CTF example : a random player is picked by an algorithm and is told that the current round is ranked for him, so if his team wins he levels up)

Another thing I just thought of would be like, RPG mechanics, like turn based battle systems and stuff for custom maps like Dumbventure Too

I don't even know how well that would work in multiplayer (or if it's even practical) but the concept of it fascinates me.

I think the replies we have here demonstrate pretty well why we don't have threads like this.

If you want to build something in Lua or anything else for that matter, it's best to come up with something on your own that you care about seeing and are passionate about. Passion leads to far better things than checking off bullet points from a power point, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back