Tortured Planet v9 (scmrtf_TorturedPlanet-v9.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I kinda liked the flags, but if they are the cause of the crash, I guess they've gotta go. They weren't the only waving flags in Tortured Planet anyway.

Well, I may call the Tortured Planet by Eeturia, that's the name the eeturians call it by. Me and my cousins KariTF and BlizzardTH and my friends AeonTH, HankTF and NightwolfTH were on some vacation in this wonderful planet. Eggman fell here, and he had a plan. While Sonic, Tails and Knux were coming to Eeturia, we, the Team Doom, were coming to Earth. That's another part of the game I imagine. It could come true, and I would be happy if it happens.

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

One more thing! You forgot the Emblem Locations on the Wiki. Please put them!

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

The minecart idea wouldn't be bad on FS1. Please

EDIT: I'm constructing a new gimmick which will be found in DDZ2. I'm really proud of it, personally. It's on the newer of the two paths.
Actually, this statement isn't quite true, so I'm going to amend it...the gimmick occurs on the newer of the two paths on the first path split. There is a newer path than that, but it happens later in the game, and the gimmick is not in fact there.

I've also decided to tell you guys what it is: It's SRB2's first ever Rope Hang that actually starts out stationary, but when the player grabs hold of it, goes down like a moving platform and carries the player with it! How is this possible, you ask? Well, when 6.0 comes out, feel free to view DDZ2 in SRB2 Doom Builder and check out how it was done.

Also, as another update, I now believe I have fixed the crash in AAZ2 that people have been complaining about. The waving flags in there are gone. I was sorry to have to pull out a cool piece of PolyObject scenery, but there were ultimately three factors that led me to my choice. First, if it is behind the crash, its coolness doesn't even come close to justifying its existence, especially given that it is pretty much an exact clone of the flags in CEZ2. Second, they weren't that visible anyway...you would only see them if you go up to the semi-secret ramparts section, while on the other hand you don't even need to see them for them to crash the game. Third, even if I got rid of them, there are still waving flags in AAZ1 that have never been reported to cause crashes, and are much more visible besides, so it isn't like the gimmick is getting removed from Tortured Planet...just from this one level.

These arguments were much more to convince myself than to convince you guys...I doubt any of you guys were as conflicted as I was in deciding on their removal.

Also, if you guys want the Emblem locations, I'll put 'em in myself. Actually, it's probably best to do it now, because in the upcoming version there will actually be a purpose to collecting the Emblems.

Last edited:
Well, I kinda cemented the storyline already. I don't really see how I could add that in at this point, as it would mean changing so much of the game's structure. Perhaps you could modify that storyline and use it in a project of your own.

Also, the emblem guide is very incomplete at the moment. Additionally, a few of the emblems have been moved in the next version, so I'm probably going to wait until the new release to really create a thorough description. In the meantime, though, you can check out the emblem locations in SAZ and ECZ.

Last edited:
Fawfulfan said:
Also, as another update, I now believe I have fixed the crash in AAZ2 that people have been complaining about.
Mind if I take a look and see? Seeing as you don't get the crash, but some people do, it may still happen.

Unless you had someone already test it out to see...

EDIT: Nevermind, I gotta read old posts before posting. >_>

Last edited:
Here's another piece of info about v6.0. As some of you may know, the melting-ice gimmick in SNZ2 has been unofficially dubbed the "Fire Flower Room" by some players in netgames. Well, guess what...now it's the official name of that room!

jtnkfn.png

And no, that's not an imported flat. It was all made using the regular SRB2 flats.

Hello! I'm late to the party in terms of providing feedback on your pack. I'm kinda scatterbrained with my schedule, so most of my time I spend on SRB2 is in general discussion or with SRB2DB. It seems you're unopposed to editing your old levels, so I'm going to go through each zone and list everything that I think is worth mentioning.

Oh yeah, before we begin, I hate cutscenes. Most cutscenes made to go with SRB2 levels feature almost entirely text, when cutscenes need good backgrounds with the characters doing stuff. Most people don't really care enough to make that art. The text itself is never essential to the levels, most of the time attempting to weave Egghead in as an explanation. Don't worry, your pack will be fine without them. We won't be lost or wonder why we're here. We all know why we're here: we want to have fun.

SUNSHINE ATOLL, BABY!
My first problem I notice is your hallways. You frequently have long stretches of mostly flat land with some variation. It's as if you noticed that hallways are bad, but instead of removing 'em you just dressed 'em up and made 'em look pretty. You really don't have to get rid of ALL of your hallways; room to run is fine, and it provides gameplay variety. You have too many hallways though, so you gotta get rid of some. I suggest starting with the low-ceiling hallways.

My second problem is more of a nit-pick. You get a lot of your jumping from placing a lake in the middle of the player's path and asking them to jump over it. It's fine gameplay, it just feels lazy. In contrast, my favorite room from this zone is this one. Can you see why?

EEERUPTIIOOOONN COOOOONNDUUIIIIT
Act 1, MAP04, about (3144, 2724), Sonic can't get out of that pit.

SSN said that if you use the same texture for floors and walls, it's harder to see where you're going. At the beginning of Act 1, the dark red rocks that are both walls and floors make it very hard to see.

Act 2, MAP05, about (8111, -715), my framerate is sketchy. It's playable, but I'd like it if you looked into that room. I'm running software at 1280 x 1024.

Also, Act 2 has some hallways I don't like. If you can, remove some please. I realize that sometimes hallways are necessary because of how the rest of your level is layed out, but removing every hallway possible would help the pacing of your level.

I dislike the crawla commander fightin Act 2. The problem is mostly that SRB2 isn't built for combat, with enemies serving more as obstacles than antagonists.

I dislike the yellow globs which fall down. If you tweak it to perfection, it could be a workable gimmick, but at about MAP05 (7016, 4931), it's so thick that it's random whether the player takes damage or not. I either spammed invincible time or skirted alongside the edge of the room to get through.

My framerate is also tainted at about MAP05 (1231, 6392). I'd appreciate it if you looked into it.

MAP05 (-985, 6265), that elevator is confusing. Why aren't the buttons inside the elevator?

MAP06, my framerate is tainted again. I'd suggest less linedefs for the circles.

DrownTown
I like your mossy bricks texture. I was surprised when I couldn't find it in srb2.srb. It's so awesome, you should submit it to the suggestions topic. No, I'll do it for you.

Your graffiti terrifies.

Your streets are glorified hallways. I'm not sure if you want to fix that because the streets are crucial to theming. If you get rid of the hallways on your other maps, these might be refreshing in contrast instead of boring.

At about MAP07 (-3362, 489), I have a vendetta against that room. When I think of your levelpack, this room comes to mind and convinces me not to play it. If you like some of the ideas, rework them into a better layed out room.

One of my pet peeves is "one way" signs that don't point towards forwards. I know they're just decoration, but it still bugs me.

Oh, hey, nice sky! I didn't see you there. Go split it up into several different patches so you don't get that white band across the bottom. Make your patches horizontal bands which are 128 high. I suggest SLumpEd for messing with TEXTUREx and PNAMES.

MAP07 (1576, 11743), that "waterslide" makes me face the wrong direction while I'm using it.

Act 2, right at the start, it took me a while to figure out I where I was supposed to go. Was that intentional?

I play as Knuckles when I can, so underwater sections bug me because I can't thok back to normal speed while I'm underwater. I move reeeaaaaallllyyyy slooooowwwly underwater. When I'm not underwater for very much at a time, it's fine because it's not really a big deal. But you have hallways underwater. That's unbearable.

I'm not really diggin' that waterslide. The waterslide-wave is fine, though.

I am diggin' that Disco Egghead sign.

Oh yeah. If you want to kill the player in your levels, you've got to give them enough lives to survive. Go sprinkle some more 1ups everywhere. It'll make the player's life easier so that they're not so afraid of death. I'm runnin' two lives right now, and I'm kinda worried I'll gameover and have to warp back to where I started.

In Act 3, hide the "skims" behind the wall. I bopped a few before the water rose where they are now.

Okay, it might just be my headache, but I'm done. The only thing I can muster right now is apathy. I quickly skipped through the beginnings of each Act 1 just to see what was there and was sad to see that each level seemed about the same level of quality as the Ice Zone. Honestly, are you just pumping these things out like crazy just to have them done? Maybe I just care too much about mapping to let myself churn out content like a zombie, but that's a lot of content you have at a pretty mediocre quality. Have you just not gotten around to remaking the last four zones?

I can tell you why those elevator buttons in ECZ2 are on the outside. Coop.
But you do have a point. Fawfulfan, why can't you make buttons inside the elevator as well? It isn't really hard if SF94 City did it.

I love this mod, Don't stop fawfulfan! Keep goin! But the only thing I don't realy like is the textures in DrownedTown is the textures on the wall.. the green men on the walls are repeted too much.

BZ4 has a point.
Sometimes I go through these 'secret passages' or dead end routes to find a box of 10 rings, there is a huge lack of 1ups which makes surviving all 3 acts continuously hard.

Yes, actually, he hasn't got around to revamping them much. But honestly, I am quite puzzled that you find the first three zones better than the fourth and fifth.
I liked the second zone the most. I think I just got really irritable while playing the Ice Zone. I don't think the quality in the Ice Zone was much different from any of the other zones. Although I only played the first act, so I don't feel I can make any comments on the zone as whole.

Really? You want more 1ups? I've been laboring under the impression that I had too many, and here I'm being told that the problem is precisely the opposite.

Also, you want me to remake the last four zones, BZ4? I admit that while AAZ is crap and Spacewalk, though it has undergone a lot of renovations since its debut, is still subpar, the other two zones are better, especially Liftoff Gantry. Popular opinion seems to hold that LGZ is the best zone in the pack, and though it might be bad form to praise my own levels, I agree.

Last edited:
In Eruption Conduit 1, it appears that there's some broken tags or something where a moving platform is supposed to have lava under it but doesn't.

2gy53mg.png

Ok, FFF, I know you can't change it. But I was thinking in a select screen like Sonic Riders 0G. Heroes and Babylon, but Sonic and Doom. BTW, I will be kinda difficult, because I'm a rookie level creaor, and Shooting Star Zone, when Eggman falls in Eeturia, will not come so soon. But ok, hat's fine.

BTW, my framerate complaints may be a bunch of hot air. I really shouldn't expect perfect framerate while running high resolutions.
Really? You want more 1ups? I've been laboring under the impression that I had too many, and here I'm being told that the problem is precisely the opposite.
I look at it this way: The more 1ups you put, the less chance you have of the player being pissed when they gameover at a gimmick they can't seem to master. You could always fix this the other way, by having the player fall into a pit that doesn't kill 'im and have 'im climb up a staircase to try the thing again.

Also, you want me to remake the last four zones, BZ4?
Not necessarily. I can't seem to play SRB2 for very long stretches at a time without being like "Oh my God, how long is this pack?" I hit that at zone four (Ice Zone, can't recall the name exactly). It had something to do with a headache as well, so my apathy isn't exactly your fault. Although "remake" is a rather brutal word.

I'm away from my SRB2 computer at the moment, so I can't exactly finish going through your pack. I cringed when I looked through your changelog and saw that you had finished the levels "in a pretty crude shape." If you're planning on going back and improving them, I say stick with your plan. Really, I'd prefer to comment on your levels after you've done all of the changes you wanted to.

I'll tell you what. You make v6.0 just like you were going to, and then I'll finish looking at your stuff. And remember that you don't have to change EVERYTHING I point out. You're allowed to think of me as just another extremist who isn't happy with anything other than their brand of perfection.

I think I wrote that the levels were "in a pretty crude form" a long time ago. Some levels still are fairly crude, but I'm pretty darn satisfied with how some levels play now, particularly after all the upgrades they're getting in 6.0. For example, you like Sunshine Atoll Zone already? You're going to love it now. (Though some parts might lag).

I would be happy to receive some more advice on my work. However, I think that I will submit v6.0 when I am done, and utilize your advice for v7.0.

Leave Lift off gantry, it's great, especially the laser cannon in act 1. I wouldn't mind it you had space to stop after the first descending stair case in Act 1, I fun down there and fall off the edge occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back