2.1.16 release, 2.2 information, and community news update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside of the lower unpegged change (Seriously it's suppose to be from the highest floor down, not lowest floor up), nearly all these changes are welcome.

...Guys, can we get back to the topic of 2.1.16 please?

I'm personally wondering what we're doing about the source code for 2.1.16. That is, we don't have a proper tag for it yet (that "2.1.16" tag on GitLab/GitHub isn't up to date). Probably a good idea to get that sorted asap.
GIT tags are fixed, I can not change it

Sent from my A0001 using ********

Alam: Could you please make a new one called "2.1.16 for real this time" or something similar, then? :P

Glaber: There was a lot of discussion on this topic in 'dev, and what actually stopped things from returning to the way things were before was software renderer bugs that arose from slopes code assuming it would be measured from the bottom instead of the top.

Alam: Could you please make a new one called "2.1.16 for real this time" or something similar, then? :P

Glaber: There was a lot of discussion on this topic in 'dev, and what actually stopped things from returning to the way things were before was software renderer bugs that arose from slopes code assuming it would be measured from the bottom instead of the top.

It's not technically the slopes code assuming anything, it's just the slopes skewing code in software mode (OpenGL doesn't have these problems I think) seems to work best if the parts to skew to line up with the point to draw textures from. From what I can gather this is so, anyway.

then why not just draw from the bottom up for sloped lines? If you were to look at Skytop in SUGIO, most of the lines there are using lower unpegged and even the walls that are going up to flat tops are misaligned.

...Guys, can we get back to the topic of 2.1.16 please?

I'm personally wondering what we're doing about the source code for 2.1.16. That is, we don't have a proper tag for it yet (that "2.1.16" tag on GitLab/GitHub isn't up to date). Probably a good idea to get that sorted asap.
Inb4 I thought that 2.1.15 was the last patch

then why not just draw from the bottom up for sloped lines? If you were to look at Skytop in SUGIO, most of the lines there are using lower unpegged and even the walls that are going up to flat tops are misaligned.
Because lag in GFZ1 was a much, much bigger fire to put out, and at more than one point the unpegged issue was the only thing stopping us from putting out a release. It wasn't trivial to code, so we decided to cut it out of 2.1.16 so we could get it out sooner.

GIT tags are fixed, I can not change it

Sent from my A0001 using ********

Can you at least delete them and remake them? Or is even that not possible?

EDIT: Nevermind, Alam made a SRB2_release_2.1.16a tag anyway following this post.

Last edited:
Please, put srb2dd back online.

Why you removed the online mode from Srb2dd? I don't know why but the Srb2win doesn't works well here. What do I mean with "Doesn't work well"?

1. For some weird reason, I have an annoying lag on my own server, on a Single Player game and even in the Title Screen!!! Of course, it only gets worse during multiplayer games.

2. The screen resolution is weird, and I have to put higher ones (I'm used to the lame 640x400) to be able to actually see the game without the black bars on the left and the right (what also increases the damn lag)

I'll show what I mean with those gifs.

Srb2dd with the resolution I always use (640x400):
bedef24454.gif

Note that the fps stays locked on the 35 fps almost all the time, working smoothly...

Srb2win with the resolution I like to use(640x400)
1393236bf9.gif

Still lag. and you can't see, but there are annoying black lines on both sides and the entire scenary and the character looks a bit "flat". I also showed the Host Game mode but without bothering to open to public (Offline mode). Even that way, the lag was still there...

Srb2win with the only resolution that removes the bars and keep the image from becoming "flat" (1600x900)
07a2697346.gif

A hellish annoying lag. And it's impossible to read anything in the console (or any text up there) without a magnifying glass. There:
797fcfc8ff.png

So. Can you PLEASE change that so Srb2dd can be playable online too?

Last edited:
I was considering putting more of an effort into my Doom Damage mod, but because SRB2DD has no multiplayer, I can no longer test it. At least I can catch up on single-player maps.

Why you removed the online mode from Srb2dd? I don't know why but the Srb2win doesn't works well here. What do I mean with "Doesn't work well"?

I was hoping the news post would actually explain why we did this, but the main reasons are:
* 1) the exes are apparently not entirely compatible with each other netplay-wise. The slight differences involved in their codes probably contributes to the desyncs that everyone hates.
* 2) DirectDraw is deprecated, we want people to actually start reporting bugs with the SDL version (so we can actually fix said bugs, you see). As much as some people tell us that SDL doesn't work, nobody's really helped us much as to what exactly doesn't work about it.

So. Can you PLEASE change that so Srb2dd can be playable online too?

Your arguments do not actually address the issue at hand.

DD builds may have network conflicts with SDL2. Your personal framerate issues are not relevant to that. We are actively phasing out DD. In fact, we will be distributing 2.2 with no DD builds whatsoever. We are far more interested in resolving SDL2 issues and network issues. Allowing DD netplay is quite likely muddling the mix of network issues. Since we are planning to remove DD entirely, the logic here is that by removing netcode from DD, we can focus on fixing legitimate issues that crop up in the netcode.

By the way, people using DD and not SDL2 is actually hurting development as we are not getting reports of issues we need to fix. So I suggest you go and start using SDL2 regularly anyways and give us a hand up in trying to make it work as much as possible.

Also, as an aside, are you running a web browser while playing the SDL2 build? I have noticed that I get lag when running Firefox in the background, and it goes away completely when I close it.

Last edited:
Your arguments do not actually address the issue at hand.

DD builds may have network conflicts with SDL2. Your personal framerate issues are not relevant to that. We are actively phasing out DD. In fact, we will be distributing 2.2 with no DD builds whatsoever. We are far more interested in resolving SDL2 issues and network issues. Allowing DD netplay is quite likely muddling the mix of network issues. Since we are planning to remove DD entirely, the logic here is that by removing netcode from DD, we can focus on fixing legitimate issues that crop up in the netcode.

By the way, people using DD and not SDL2 is actually hurting development as we are not getting reports of issues we need to fix. So I suggest you go and start using SDL2 regularly anyways and give us a hand up in trying to make it work as much as possible.

Also, as an aside, are you running a web browser while playing the SDL2 build? I have noticed that I get lag when running Firefox in the background, and it goes away completely when I close it.

No, I wasn't running a web browser during any of the GIF recordings... And there's no way for me to fix that lag? I simply can't play like that.

The reason you're getting black borders across the edges when you play in 640x400 fullscreen on SDL2 builds is because those builds don't use exclusive fullscreen like DD builds do. The SDL2 builds use what's known as windowed fullscreen, where the game screen is stretched across your desktop with windowboxing or pillarboxing as needed to keep the intended aspect ratio. DD fullscreen doesn't have those borders because it changes your resolution to 640x400, and your display is just stretching the image out to fill the whole screen with no regard for aspect correctness.

Do the lag issues with SDL2 persist if you try playing in windowed at your usual resolution? If not, the issue may be in your GPU's ability to upscale the image. (SDL2 builds send the software-processed image to a screen buffer in whatever hardware-accelerated format the library deems best, be it Direct3D, OGL, or what have you.) You could try manually lowering your screen resolution while playing fullscreen, but we also really oughta look into adding an exclusive fullscreen option to SDL2 builds.

I just updated to 2.1.16, and nothing has changed for me! No FSonic or different stages.. Can someone please help me with this issue?

The SUGOI levels and FSonic are not included with 2.1.16 itself! We just mentioned them in the newspost because they're cool. If you click the links in the post, you can download sugoi-v1.wad and fsonic.wad, then you can addfile them into the game to play with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back