Resource icon

[MP Level] Southern Park [Discontinued. Use Kart Mania instead.]

Super Chris

That one map maker.
This version of Southern Park will no longer be updated as it is now part of Kart Mania.

Southern Park is a level I created for Super SRB2 Kart Z (A.K.A. 2.0 Kart). However, after seeing how it turned out in its initial release, I decided to give it an overhaul and make an all-new version of this course.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did making it!

• Version 1 (12/18/2018): Initial release.
  • Version 2 (12/19/2018): Minor fixes. Lap number is now 5.
  • Version 3 (12/24/2018): More fixes. The shortcut now has a different method of accessing.
  • Version 4 (12/28/2018): Even more fixes!
  • Version 5 (1/23/2019): Added MUSICDEF lump.

Attachments

• kart0011.png
    kart0011.png
    165.2 KB · Views: 469
  • kart0012.png
    kart0012.png
    155.6 KB · Views: 473
  • kart0013.png
    kart0013.png
    199.1 KB · Views: 706
  • kart0014.png
    kart0014.png
    200.2 KB · Views: 394
  • kart0015.png
    kart0015.png
    216 KB · Views: 372
  • kr_southernpark_v5.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 331
Last edited:
It's welcome to releases! However, the water is really difficult to point out against this road texture, and since it acts like oil slick its probably best to use a lighter road texture and actually make the water be oil. I could also barely see the boost pad in one of the tunnels, and I'm sure there's a way to get it to glow without illuminating the whole sector, but the methods escape my mind at the moment.

Hi! I played this (along with some other maps) in a netgame with a few other folks and wanted to give a few comments from the couple rounds I played of it.

For starters, I think 5 laps is too long. The races were over three minutes each, and while that's alright if it's due to 2-3 long laps, I think in this case your map kind of drags on with the lap count you have. A standard 3 laps would be fine, I think.

Also, your item boxes are way too frequent. I often couldn't even let the item roulette finish before I came up on the next set of boxes! I believe the rule Kart Krew has quoted is a set of boxes every 15-20 seconds if you're driving normally as Sonic on hard speed. I'm not sure if maps actually follow that very often, but you could definitely go down to just two or three sets of item boxes spaced somewhat-evenly throughout the track.

https://i.imgur.com/kAols07.png - This looks like missing textures?

https://i.imgur.com/NkTz0Qa.png - These fenced-off grass areas really suck to get knocked into by an item. You have to drive backwards in offroad all the way back onto the road to get back in the race. If you prefer it that way there's no need to change these, but in my opinion it'd be nice to put a hole in the far end of the fence that players can drive through and get back on the road without as much time loss. (It could also double as a small offroad shortcut for racers with sneaker boosts!)

You should consider re-encoding your music in a lower quality. It adds a lot to the WAD's filesize which makes it difficult to host on a server, since people often download WADs straight from the server instead of finding them here. The general standard for music in custom maps is a quality 0 OGG trimmed to the minimum possible length without cutting the music too short. (Trust me, it'll sound fine when the engine noises and sound effects are drowning it out.)

Overall though, I think it's a cute little simplistic course. If the frequency of item boxes was reduced and the music made smaller at least, I'd definitely call this a good map to have in a server's rotation.

Oh, no, the volume is perfectly fine. The last bit in that paragraph was just an anecdote about how a reduction in the music's quality won't be that noticeable with the game's sound effects layered on top of it. I was just saying it could be reprocessed in a lower quality to reduce the WAD's filesize, which would make it easier to download and thus more likely to be hosted on servers.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back