My queries regarding SRB2's soundtracks and music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero Falcon

1. Are SRB2's soundtracks protected by copyright?
2. May I be able to use it in a game I am working on?
3. If someone from a gaming company asks if he can use the soundtracks for his games that he is going to sell, will he be allowed to do so and will there be any conditions?

Zero Falcon said:
1. Are SRB2's soundtracks protected by copyright?
Yes. Some tracks have been taken from commercial games, such as the Mario Koopa Blast and Adventure Example tracks. The SRB2 Theme itself is based on the Sonic & Knuckles theme. All the other tracks are original and we own the copyright to them.

Zero Falcon said:
2. May I be able to use it in a game I am working on?
No. SRB2's soundtrack is for SRB2's use only. Obviously, this only involves the original tracks we created. Feel free to use the Mario theme, we don't own that =P

Zero Falcon said:
3. If someone from a gaming company asks if he can use the soundtracks for his games that he is going to sell, will he be allowed to do so and will there be any conditions?
No, you won't be allowed to use it for any purpose. Make your own original soundtrack if you'd like to make your own game, commercial or otherwise.

marcsancessoftware said:
SRB2 soundtrack in other games? No way!

1 more question:

So the owners of SRB2 would not want their soundtracks to be used in music mods for, say, other existing freeware games as well?

Hmm, but technically, shouldn't the same apply for official Retail games as well?
EX: Drawn to Life's sound track for Drawn to Life only or Mario's Sound track for Mario?

so.................
we cannot use the music on any use?
videos,fan games,original games,build on it or any type of use?[/spoiler]

I have recently found out one of the SRB2 songs is based off a Michael Jackson song. Just extract all the o_'s from music.dta
Anyway, SMS's musicpack is way better.
SSN UR SHOT!!!

I have recently found out one of the SRB2 songs is based off a Michael Jackson song. Just extract all the o_'s from music.dta
Anyway, SMS's musicpack is way better.
SSN UR SHOT!!!

...what? which song? O_o

He means tunes 500. It sounds almost exactly like Beat It!
Hey wait... Do you mean on SRB2 ME or on SRB2 v1.09.4a? Cause it sounds nothing like a Michael Jackson song nor Beat it in ME and in 1.09.4a it doesn't exist.

No he doesn't 2.1 doesn't exist yet. If tunes 200 sounds like a MJ song, blame the people that made Earth Worm Jim 3D on N64

EDIT: LEGAL ISSUE: Mystic, I just spoke with dad and your answer in another perspective was "Go ahead and steal the mario theme we used, just don't touch our stuff". There's not much legal protection in the Fan world as there is in corporate.

Last edited:
If tunes 200 sounds like a MJ song

If you look closely, you can see a 500 not a 200. =P

Hey wait... Do you mean on SRB2 ME or on SRB2 v1.09.4a? Cause it sounds nothing like a Michael Jackson song nor Beat it in ME and in 1.09.4a it doesn't exist.

Take a joke Wolfy.

IIRC, on the composers hard drive, that is to say, there is no released updated soundtrack. However, you could just export the songs using SlumpED or XWE for listening purposes though.
EDIT:As Mystic pointed out, you would want to open music.dta. To use SlumpED on it, copy, paste and rename to music.wad or the sort.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back