Sonic Colors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with you.

Sonic Adventure + Adventure 2 also had crappy things thrown into them. Some of them were fun, but a lot of them people just thought were thrown in for no reason.

1.Big fishing
2.Emerald Hunting
3.Amy's slow boring levels
4.Shooting(Tails)

So pretty much everything but Sonic.

I thought Sonic Adventure was a pretty good game with a lot of potential and admirable qualities, but was brought down by poor design decisions and questionable physics. Pretty much all SA2 did was emphasize the flaws and muck up some of the pros.

I found both games fun, the only concept that I thought was terrible was big fishing and big himself. Also when you check up on it, sonic has one more level than knuckles and tails in sonic adventure 2, and Dr. Eggman has 1 more level than rouge and shadow in it too. So technically there was more sonic in the games, along with sonic having the most amount of levels (10 to be precise) in sonic adventure 1. So when you think about it, the sonic adventure games really don't have bad impacts on the sonic series as far as keeping the blue blur out of the scene. You don't have to pick the other characters in the first one. That shows that sega focused on who you liked the most.

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 AM ----------

Looks interesting, but they could have used the Chao for the ¨Color Powerups¨ instead of these alien... octopuss... thing. Not that I´m against them, but it´s kinda weird to have a new species poped up without an introduction in the webs or something.

But replying to that Facebook quote in the first page, yeah, Ape Escape once made a game more violent than the other ones (Ape Escape Million Monkeys) wich had a different concept of the game, from a guy running around capturing bananna monkeys throwing peels to make you slide down to an army of monkeys dressed military-like carrying assault rifles, mounting in tanks, choking people by grabbing their necks and making genetical viruses.

Probably one of the times I got the most excited about hearing of a game, but then, they decided to release it only in Japan, due to the ¨Unsuitable Content¨ for the children. So if they made a violent Sonic game, it would most likely be in Japan-only.

Honestly after playing and owning ape escape 1, I was amazed, its like sony's own super mario 64 with better music and I guess better graphics. Plot was funky and serious, lot of nostalgia was had, and the level designs and concepts of time are pretty much genius. But when I borrowed Ape Escape 3.... it was still fun and a good platformer, but it lacked the seriousness, and the awesome techno beat that was there from the 1st. Don't get me wrong its a great game and I plan on getting it but, yeah.

Anyway about sonic colors it seems like I might be mad at how chao were just getting thrown aside for these new alien things. I have honest remorse for the chao, and I would love to have another chao garden.

Last edited:
Maybe if SEGA were smart, they would throw in a Chao Garden for when you want to rest inbetween levels. I doubt it, though.

Chao in Space? Like that would ever happen!

Anyway besides the joke, it wouldn't work very well since the camera doesn't turn around when Sonic does, and passing a chao drive or animal would be annoying to get.

I dunno... A chao garden would be a nice way to add some length and faux substance to this game. Just watching that video of the first level being completed in something like five minutes makes me wonder just how long we can expect this game to be, and how much replay value it will have.

I'm not clammoring for an epic, twelve-act story, mind you. I just want a game that won't grow stale in two hours or less.

Last edited:
Also when you check up on it, sonic has one more level than knuckles and tails in sonic adventure 2, and Dr. Eggman has 1 more level than rouge and shadow in it too. So technically there was more sonic in the games, along with sonic having the most amount of levels (10 to be precise) in sonic adventure 1. So when you think about it, the sonic adventure games really don't have bad impacts on the sonic series as far as keeping the blue blur out of the scene. You don't have to pick the other characters in the first one. That shows that sega focused on who you liked the most.

Who you like the most is different from what you like the most. Characters are not icons, they're styles of gameplay. If you chose a specific character in Sonic 3 or Sonic Adventure 1, then you were choosing to play the game in a certain way. This is what I don't like about Sonic Adventure 2; Rouge, Tails, and Shadow were essentially duplicate icons of the same gameplay, and choosing between hero and dark mode simply changed the levels you played, yet you constantly had to shift between gameplay styles for whichever story you chose.

"Tails" gameplay (e.g., the ability to fly, regardless of whether you're racing someone else or not) did not appear in Sonic Adventure 2. "E-102" gameplay on the other hand, was modified into what I'd call the "Walker" gameplay and was given a more significant role in Sonic Adventure 2. Tails' appearance is great and all, but I don't play as him just because he's Tails, I play as him because he plays like Sonic and has the ability to fly. And it's nice that they expanded on E-102's gameplay and all, but E-102's game mode wasn't what appealed to me, it was his storyline. SEGA might have been trying to appeal to their fanbase, but all they really showed was that they missed the point.

I find it extremely ironic how critics favor this game according to E3, yet the fans hate it. What is this fan base coming to?

EDIT: Also, G4 said it's better than Sonic 4.

Last edited:
I find it extremely ironic how critics favor this game according to E3, yet the fans hate it. What is this fan base coming to?

Well...considering the fan base whines about his eye color...

I don't really think I have to finish that thought for you all to get where I am getting at

Eye color has never been a problem; it's only a matter of presentation.

i.e. no, greens eyes don't suck, it's just the modern style that sucks

That's Sonic 4 you're thinking. The press like it, but it goes without saying that the fans are treating it like the fucking apocalypse. Colours does actually have a good following from fans and press alike so far, in spite of the few that seem to be somehow averse to the possibility of Sonic being a kids game.

i.e. no, greens eyes don't suck, it's just the modern style that sucks
You know, it's funny, but I've never seen a single person, fan or otherwise, try to justify this and actually do a decent job at it, save for pointing out that '06s Sonic has freakishly long limbs. It's apples and oranges, dude. There's nothing you can point out between the two designs that isn't ultimately subjective to begin with.

Perhaps my wording there was a bit more literal than it should have been -- going with the law that "beauty lies in the eye of the beholder", no, I cannot necessarily prove that the style sucks, but I think I have enough of a theory to justify my stance. If you really haven't faced up against a convincing argument on it, I can try you; I've already got half a post on it written out, and I have no problem finishing it.

I figured I would get my word out on what I think about Sonic Colors. Greg basically summarized my thoughts(also fixed some spelling errors that were obvious).

When it comes to Sonic 4 it doesn't take it's concept seriously enough. It is a sequel to the games we loved in the 90s yet instead of bringing us something new in the classic style, they butcher what wI or many people loved about the classics with bastardized renditions of the classics that either play themselves or Re ridiculously easy. Sure they may be tweaking the game right now and getting rid of gimmicks that either needed to be more refined or didn't belong at all but it still doesn't change what they made to be any better than the classics. I mean people are paying for a new adventure story be damned that Eggman one day decided to reinvent machines and not bothering to make them any better especially due to ridiculous story elements like 'budget cuts'. It doesn't help that this game is already redundant in itself when Sega constantly releases compilation packs when each new generation of hardware comes out.

That is exactly why Sonic Colours is more interesting. It takes their idea of making a new adventure seriously.

You really can't say it any better. Right now my hopes for the game are meh, and that's only because of the bland 3D segments... Even Unleashed had a few fork splitting paths here and there.

To those who say that this game will be a hold right fest like Sonic 4 or Sonic Rush...Realize that hold right usually means "most of the game is holding right". Play the first Super Mario Bros. I'd say around most of the game is holding right, occasionally pressing left real quick to avoid getting hit... isn't that what a sonic game is? Play a megaman game, and the same thing happens, only that because megaman goes through different rooms, it's more balanced between left and right. What do you want Sega to do, make this game have you go through multiple rooms to balance holding right and left? Sonic rush/Adventure you could go back for items/ to slow down and time your jumps. They kept this in the game so it wouldn't be like Sonic and the black knight/secret rings where the camera didn't budge and all you had was a reverse that didn't give you backsight...is that what people want? Last time I checked, the games were frustrating to play because of said fact.

When you look at a mario game, you think "platforming", then fast. When you look at a sonic game, you think "fast" then platforming. Making mario games into 3D was easier because mario didn't go that fast compared to sonic(ie super mario 64). When you make a sonic game come to 3D, you need speed or it'll feel like a mario game. If sonic goes fast, then you have even less platforming then the 2D games. In all... Sonic wasn't really designed to be made into 2D. Mario is more flexible.

Sega's answer to "Super Mario Galaxy (2)"

Actually, if Sonic Xtreme made it, it would've been the other way around.

Anyway, I think the name needs to be changed. This better be good too because none of them now are good. The Wii games anyway. They always add too much junk and mess it up. :(
Sonic Unleashed would've been good WITHOUT the werehog levels.

I don't get it, why everyone are like " this is rip-off from mario galaxy series" and even if it is, there is only that same thing that they are in outerspace and in different planets and stuff but in MG there was no aliens. I'm more like this is sonic world adventure 2 AKA sonic unleashed 2

Of course there were aliens. The penguins, the robots, and even the round, plump Goombas. Hell, aliens were everywhere.

http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=129880

Gamestop is having a preorder bonus. If you preorder the game, you'll get a strap on Sonic hat!

Sonic_Colors-bonusLG.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back