I do believe we need to celebrate this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally, some GOOD news from South of the border...

Hopefully companies in other countries will follow suit with this, although I haven't had any trouble accessing anything where I live, I kinda care about the people in other places that can't access what they want because their ISP is a greedy bastard.

The big deal about Net Neutrality is that if ISPs had more control, they'd control every form of information you can think of. They can block all kinds of things from you, including those little sites (like SRB2, MFZ, MG, etc. etc.) -- or make them pay so that they can be viewed, such as through affiliation. Guess what, not a lot of us have any money to really do that.
It'd be like Radio, and TV, all over again. Then what are you going to do to get your voice out?
I am for net neutrality, let everyone have their piece of the pie, let everyone have their voice. But that doesn't mean I condone any of those illegal activities like pirating, scamming, etc.
Well put, PDF.

Then actually do that instead of telling the ISPs they're not allowed to restrict their services. The mentality here is so backwards, it's ridiculous.

That's not fixing the problem, that's avoiding it, though, hence why the net neutrality stuff is a much better option.

Am I the only one who feels that ISPs should be able to have the right to say "We're providing you a service, and we don't want you abusing it for malicious/illegal purposes"? I don't agree with the idea of net neutrality, simply because I do believe that businesses have that right. Consumer wants don't always trump company rights, and quite frankly, this is one of those points where they don't.

But it's going to be difficult to do that properly. If we could, then wouldn't DRM have been flawless by now?

That's not fixing the problem, that's avoiding it, though, hence why the net neutrality stuff is a much better option.

No it doesn't. It's just giving the end-user more rights than a business. Just because people want something doesn't mean it's their right to it. You tell me why you have the right to what you want and why businesses don't have the right to operate how they see fit (ESPECIALLY when they're the ones providing you the service), then I might be willing to listen. But frankly, end-user wants do not trump everything else.

Guess what, not a lot of us have any money to really do that.
It'd be like Radio, and TV, all over again. Then what are you going to do to get your voice out?
I am for net neutrality, let everyone have their piece of the pie, let everyone have their voice. But that doesn't mean I condone any of those illegal activities like pirating, scamming, etc.
You use your voice to get your voice out, not the internet. There are virtually no places on the internet where Free Speech applies, so that logic doesn't even stand.

Also, DRM doesn't come into play here. It's simply a matter of businesses having a right to operate as they see fit.

Last edited:
You use your voice to get your voice out, not the internet. There are virtually no places on the internet where Free Speech applies, so that logic doesn't even stand.
I don't think you understand. How else are you going to distribute or help the very forum you are moderating when Net Neutrality is taken away? Pay more for it? Just to access a forum? Or force SSNTails (or the current site admin) to pay extra -- a lot extra just to have the site viewed/not blocked by the ISPs?

Let me tell you, if it weren't for it, we wouldn't be able to distribute our levels freely, or any music we produce and release free, or put up our sites for a modest fee (general webhosting), etc. Bigger companies such as Viacom and Google can afford these, easily, and with their money can just flush out everyone else. Just like Clear Channel did to radio, just like companies like CBS, FOX, etc. did to TV.
What do they have that we don't? Money.

Do you understand now?

Last edited:
I understand fully! But you're looking at it entirely the wrong way.
You don't have a right to internet access. Period. There are no two ways about it. Businesses are providing you with a service by letting you go through them to connect to the internet. If you're using their services to get access, they have a right to moderate how/what is being accessed.
Now, there's a line between reasonable moderation and unreasonable moderation, and how much/when people should be charged, but the bottom line is that 'net neutrality' is not that line, simply because it takes away from that right of a business to operate as they deem necessary.

I am fully aware of the problems that could come from businesses taking too much control, but the main theory behind net neutrality simply is not a solution for the potential problems because it extremely limits what they have the right to do with their services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back