Lastest Goober Adventure beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sik

OK, this is the newest Goober Adventure beta I could retrieve since the HD crash. We've decided to put it for release, so go and take a look at it.

Download link:
http://srb2town.sepwich.com/junk/gooberadventurebeta.7z

Wanna screenshots? Check here:
http://srb2town.sepwich.com/junk/gooberadventurebeta/

For those that don't know, Goober Adventure is the game from a friend of mine, Akirahedgehog (Akira for short). I was the programmer and made most of the graphics, and Chris Senn made the music. All the team (Akira, Dark Warrior, Chris and me) made at least one level (I made most of them). The game is a standard 2D platformer, don't expect finding anything really innovative here in terms of gameplay :/ There is a cheat but I won't reveal it right now :P

Special Stages can't be neither beaten nor lost (through you can have a good time trying to pop all the balloons), press Esc to return to the level.

Is there anything new in this beta that hasn't been previously released? From the surface I'm not seeing anything.

v2.exe seems to be really unstable. There is a frequent crash that happens just seconds into the first level. The v1.exe doesn't seem to have this issue. Are you trying to access a resource that doesn't exist? Edit: It seems to be happening during the falling animation. Obviously not in the same way as SRB2, but you should check both executables and ensure the headers are up-to-date with the datafiles.

Also, how do you get into the 3D special stages? I've always wondered how to do this.

PS. Allegro 4.2 has proper close button handling.

Both versions are exactly the same but made with different versions of Dev-C++. I made two because apparently Dev-C++ 5 binaries made in my computer crash in Windows XP. Dev-C++ 4 binaries don't. Under a non-NT Windows both of them work. And I don't have the source code for that executable, so no Allegro 4.2.

What's new? More levels mainly. And to access the bonus stages you must find a key. One is in Ariel Ruins 3. The other is in Test Level but you need to use a cheat to access it (yes, it's a normal cheat, not some debug stuff).

Sik forgot to point out that, but I've been a temporary mantainer of the game for a small period when he was unable to mantain the game because of computer problems.
http://tails92.sepwich.com/files/goober/GooberBeta3Code.zip
This is the latest source code which I can find that hasn't been lost,
it's a bit older than the beta in that archive, but comes with full sources intended for Allegro 4.2.
I don't know why but Sik always used Allegro 4.0, even when 4.2 was out from more than a year before. I always used 4.2 also with Goober Adventure, and for some strange reason he reverted to 4.0.

Because Allegro for some reason refused to build here, and the lastest binary version available back then was 4.0.3 (4.2.0 became available prebuilt when 4.3 was released). That's the whole reason behind it.

GooberShipThing.png

Say, were you planning some kind of hidden minigame at some point?

dsc01513ni6.jpg

I'm making a Goober game for DS now if anyone is interested. The version you see above took 5 or 6 hours to make so that's why it looks... bad.. The game will be titled Goober Apocalypse.

Lightning The Fox said:
The above post is a phoney. By the by SRB2 mod-ish?
I'm been struggling to get this damn thing working with collision for a few days now and your going to tell me it's a phoney? I've never even seen you before! Anyway collision does work now and I replaced the plain green tiles..

If you wonder, I've already tested the alpha. So yes, the DS ROM is real. And I found a bug in no$gba too thanks to it :P (also, can somebody explain me how does Akira manage to get the ROM working with a bad header?)

Sik said:
If you wonder, I've already tested the alpha. So yes, the DS ROM is real. And I found a bug in no$gba too thanks to it :P (also, can somebody explain me how does Akira manage to get the ROM working with a bad header?)

Will ya stop saying it has a bad header? The code is correct and it wouldn't run if it had a bad header.

no$gba is an emulator, not an actual DS. I'd assume that there are some things that it'd mark as flawed, when it really isn't.

WOODLAND BOG 1 EASTER EGG

Do you see the first waterfall? The one with the bridge. Well, go rightwards until you see the stairs. Go downstairs and stick next to the wall. Then type "TOAST". Go to the other side of the waterfall, where the mushroom is. Jump, a new hidden passage has been opened. Get on the bridge and you'll see a switch. Trigger it and go to the end of the level, but DON'T touch the smiley face. Jump it. The right limit has been displaced, and you can see a new hidden passage. It'll lead you to a toast heaven, featuring even more toasts than in the rest of the level!

Bah, I was hoping "TOAST" was the cheat.

Why must the other special stage be hidden away in a region that is accessible only by cheats? :(

Because Test Level is not meant to have a Bonus Stage. Only the third level of every normal area except SX-01 should have them. The idea was that to access SX-01 you needed to get all 10 keys, and Test Level would get unlocked when you finished the game. This meant that normally Test Level shouldn't have a Bonus Stage. So the reason it's hidden by a cheat is that you're accessing something that normally shouldn't even exist.

By the way, here goes the other cheat:
TEST LEVEL EASTER EGG

Enter Test Level and stand over the "I" on the first building with "AKIRA" on it. Then type, what a coincidence, "AKIRA". A new hidden passage has been unlocked. Go down to the right, even through nothing seems to have changed, there is a new passage there. It'll lead you to Test Level's bonus stage (yes, it can be completed in time, I managed to do it - but take both clocks, or it'll become a pain!).

I wonder when will you start asking from where am I quoting those things from :P

EDIT: the reason I posted the Woodland Bog cheat first is because the Test Level one is present since very early betas. I honestly thought the Woodland Bog cheat was not present in this beta. Wow, it seems like this version is quite late in development o_o'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back