Violence in videogames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sik

Old, but OK, I was trying to look around in ESA how it turns out they're protecting some pirate games >_> and at some moment I found some stuff about violence in videogames. Then I found this link:

http://tinyurl.com/3ydmm7

There it goes a full explanation about violence in videogames. Unlike you may expect, it's smart, it doesn't say just "videogames induce players to be violent". In fact, it talks about the stupid people that say that without any proof. For the record, it seems that at the same time videogames became common, young violence rates lowered. Odd, isn't it? Also, it shows the stupidest speech against gaming used ever: mid-level white people that murder aren't violent, they were influenced by videogames. Black people, on the other way, are just dangerous. How does it come that?

So, here I go: what do you think about violent games? I seriously don't think a game can make you violent unless you have some kind of mental sickness. One thing is being violent in a game, were you don't murder for real, and another thing is doing so in the real life. In fact, often if you're stressed a violent game can help, you cause some havoc in it and you're done, you didn't hurt anybody for real and you aren't stressed anymore. And another thing, if your kid doesn't like a game because it's violent, he/she simply won't want to play it. No kidding, when I was younger I didn't want to know anything about Mortal Kombat.

OK, now it's your turn. What do you think about it?

Sik said:
I seriously don't think a game can make you violent unless you have some kind of mental sickness. One thing is being violent in a game, were you don't murder for real, and another thing is doing so in the real life. In fact, often if you're stressed a violent game can help, you cause some havoc in it and you're done, you didn't hurt anybody for real and you aren't stressed anymore. And another thing, if your kid doesn't like a game because it's violent, he/she simply won't want to play it.

SRB2 Guy said:
Sik said:
I seriously don't think a game can make you violent unless you have some kind of mental sickness. One thing is being violent in a game, were you don't murder for real, and another thing is doing so in the real life. In fact, often if you're stressed a violent game can help, you cause some havoc in it and you're done, you didn't hurt anybody for real and you aren't stressed anymore. And another thing, if your kid doesn't like a game because it's violent, he/she simply won't want to play it.
Not really. Everyone is influenced by what they do, thay listen, they watch, whatever.
So violent videogames do slightly affect people, but more on some people than others, as everything affect people temper in some way.

Seriously, I don't think violence in video games can really effect anybody, without, like you said, some sort of mental illness.

Little more than entertainment. I play nothing but FPS games, one of which (FEAR, and its expansions) are very violent. Affected me in any way? Hah! No. I have no violent thoughts or tendencies. I wouldn't hurt a fly.

I would sit on my dad's knee and watch him play Castle Wolfenstien at age three, and yet I'm not some kind of psycho. Its how you're raised, not the games that you play.

Jazz said:
I would sit on my dad's knee and watch him play Castle Wolfenstien at age three, and yet I'm not some kind of psycho. Its how you're raised, not the games that you play.
Quoted for the gotdang truth.

To add to what Jazz and Sik said I would have to add that no matter where you get the crazy idea to do something wrong/violent, the decision to do so is yours. So even if video games did make you want to do something violent, the person that does it can not place any blame on the games, but it is human nature to shift the blame away from oneself.

I guess the same applies for movies too, and so any movie that has violence is going to make kids want to murder each other. Actually they probably shouldn't be reading any books because a lot of those have violence in them. Come to think of it, knives should be banned from the kitchen... Its more about being able to choose right from wrong than not watching movies/playing games with blood in them.

Heres the math that I did
Violence game+maturity= good
Violence game+imaturity= bad
Violence game+Imature little kids that are spoiled = Will probaly get a one way ticket to smackland by me...

Violence game+mature little kid= will probaly be one of the most populer kid at his school.

Kids it ok to play violent games, but makes sure if your , mom or dad think your ready to play them...
*Talking about violent games with ninja*

You're wrong on the popular thing, unfortunately.
I'm 13 and I play very violent games (Silent Hill comes to mind), and practically, no-one even cares, they're too interesting in what they like.
Okay, I play F.E.A.R, Doom, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Call Of Duty, Rule of Rose, Forbidden Siren, Project Zero/Fatal Frame <--- This one is sick.
Yet I'm a normal non-violent person. =)
So basically, games have no effect on people, it's not like playing a game with MONSTERS, killing the monsters, is going to make you go out, and shoot some random person does it?
My thoughts on this subject.

*And at 4 I started playing Resident Evil, at 5 I was playing Silent Hill.

If you think about it, SRB2 is a violent game; hitting each other at high speeds with rings that temporarily paralyze you, with many different weapons. Now, go play a netgame. Do you feel more violent? Do you feel like killing someone with your own red rings? No? Well then, that answers that.

Ash said:
If you think about it, SRB2 is a violent game; hitting each other at high speeds with rings that temporarily paralyze you, with many different weapons. Now, go play a netgame. Do you feel more violent? Do you feel like killing someone with your own red rings? No? Well then, that answers that.

Honestly, I actually do feel a little more violent and like I want to kill someone with my red rings. Anyway, why do you think we like video games? Video games make it seem like we're actually in them. If we didn't feel like we were the people in the video games, then we probably wouldn't like them. So, when we're the person killing people in the video games, and we think it's OK to kill people in a video game, it's like thinking we can kill real people.

Although, think of the Wii Zaper. Some people might think this is just a game, but later, they could be holding a real gun and think it is just a game too, but it seems a little far feched.

The Civil Air Patrol would never let anyone hold a gun thinking it was a video game.But in the really world no one could stop you.

I guess I should stop playing Pac Man because it encourages vore. My god, people need to wake up. Video games are nothing more than a mass of pixels. It's like they think there is a subliminal verse inside shooters and other violent games, that cause children to act out what they play. Maybe I should grab my copy of F.E.A.R. or Quake IV, and see if when I play it backwards, if it will show a demonic figure that hypnotizes people to do it's bidding. NO NO NO!

I blame the parents if the children act out what they see. ESRB was created for a reason! Ordinarily I'd be against ESRB labels. There are reasons why shooters are usually rated T, M , and sometimes E with warnings of the contents. I let my little brothers play DooM because they know the difference between reality and video games. Neither of them run around school with weapons. If you know your child or sibling has an overactive imagination, then shame on you for buying them the game. Common sense people. When you find yours, please use it.

Kaos Fox said:
I guess I should stop playing Pac Man because it encourages vore. My god, people need to wake up. Video games are nothing more than a mass of pixels. It's like they think there is a subliminal verse inside shooters and other violent games, that cause children to act out what they play. Maybe I should grab my copy of F.E.A.R. or Quake IV, and see if when I play it backwards, if it will show a demonic figure that hypnotizes people to do it's bidding. NO NO NO!

I blame the parents if the children act out what they see. ESRB was created for a reason! Ordinarily I'd be against ESRB labels. There are reasons why shooters are usually rated T, M , and sometimes E with warnings of the contents. I let my little brothers play DooM because they know the difference between reality and video games. Neither of them run around school with weapons. If you know your child or sibling has an overactive imagination, then shame on you for buying them the game. Common sense people. When you find yours, please use it.
Realy good point there.

Cheese said:
Honestly, I actually do feel a little more violent and like I want to kill someone with my red rings. Anyway, why do you think we like video games? Video games make it seem like we're actually in them. If we didn't feel like we were the people in the video games, then we probably wouldn't like them. So, when we're the person killing people in the video games, and we think it's OK to kill people in a video game, it's like thinking we can kill real people.

Flawed logic there... If you seriously think you are the character in the game you should be locked up behind strong bars. Games are not always meant to simulate real life things, as a matter of fact simulators are their own genre and even they don't fully place you in the position of the game character. Games are made for you to proceed through a story as a character, reach a certain goal as a character, or defeat another's character with yours.

Furthermore as I stated before, you choose to commit a crime, so if you decide its alright to kill a person because you did in a video game, it was your stupid choice and you should not blame it on the video game.

Even if the statement above was meant in a sarcastic manner, that is an argument many favoring the video game violence view probably use. So win-win. =P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back