• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

[KART] Chrispy's Character Creation Contest [C4]

Chrispy

Developer
Sonic Team Junior
Hello, I am Chrispy and I am hosting Chrispy's Character Creation Contest for SRB2Kart
The goal of C4 is to create an explosion of new playable content, from new and returning artists to the SRB2 community alike. It will be judged by me alone because I want as much talent as possible to be available to participate, and I didn't think it'd be fair to let judges submit entries as well.

I will be accepting entries over the next four weeks, meaning that February 22nd will be the last day I'm accepting submissions. After all submissions are accepted, I'll be compiling them into a pk3 pack and releasing it on the forums, with proper credits to everyone who participates. To submit your entry, you can either post them here or send them to me in a private message on here.

Entries will be judged on 4 categories:
Chrispiness: The actual cleanliness of the sprites used. I'll be looking for things like banding/pillow shading
Character: The expression of the character within the wad itself. Does it look/feel/play/sound like who it is supposed to be
Color: Palette usage and compatibility with other skin colors
Creativity: Is this character unique? Adding to the existing roster?
If your submission scores a perfect 4/4 on all 4 categories, then you will receive a gold star and a pat on the back from your hero Chrispy, but more importantly everybody will know that you're the best.
These categories were selected so that hopefully we could work together to fill a gap in the current playable roster of racers for SRB2Kart. Submitting yet another variant of Sonic will dock you points on the Creativity category, whereas submitting something new like a heavyweight character will help your score.

You must create the assets used in your submission. No sprite rips. If you use screenshots of a 3D model, the model must be originally made by you. Reusing the existing Kart sprites is ok.
No offensive characters/names. Please behave yourselves here
You cannot submit characters that have already been submitted to the forums/posted in the discord
Entries must be submitted in a playable format. Do not just send me a zip of your sprites and ask me to implement it for you.

Last edited:
I highly approve. I started my character yesterday and got about halfway done! Hope to see others entering as well c:

Can someone explain what banding looks like? I already have an idea of what pillow shading is, but no clue of what banding is.

Banding is essentially what happens when lines of attempted shading or antialiasing hug outlines or the edges of shapes. In most cases it causes an ugly, blocky effect and should be avoided wherever possible. The best way to avoid it is to break up these extra shades such that you smooth out the transition from line to line—use your eyes, and try to zoom in and out of your work as often as possible to see what effects each pixel has on your shapes!

I'm doing a "Stylish" Modern Sonic Mod, is it valid if I release that as a single character and then submit it to this contest? Cause y'know, in any case I don't think I have much chances.

I'm doing a "Stylish" Modern Sonic Mod, is it valid if I release that as a single character and then submit it to this contest? Cause y'know, in any case I don't think I have much chances.
I can't imagine that I'll end up with too many entries to fit into the pk3 compilation, so everyone should get in as long as their submission is within the rules. I don't mind if you release your entry as a single character, but I do think it'd be more fun if ya'll waited until after the C4 release to submit the solo downloads ;)

I plan on doing a Feet Tails to fit with Feet Sonic. I just need Man553's permission first.

So any ol character is fair game (sorta)? I mean like, from any series, or would you prefer originals/ something you know?

So any ol character is fair game (sorta)? I mean like, from any series, or would you prefer originals/ something you know?

Anything is accepted!
I just wouldn't recommend making a character that's already been made, the idea here is to diversify racer options.

If I'm using the script to add to the creativity and character of the submission, how would that play into scoring the entry if at all?

If I'm using the script to add to the creativity and character of the submission, how would that play into scoring the entry if at all?
I might add a point to those categories if it's done well enough

Kibito's Modern Sonic

Well i can't attach any files in a private message, and i'm too lazy to upload it to mediafire or something like that, so i'm submitting my extremely original creation, Sonic in my crappy art style.

Now seriously, i know it's another Sonic, but hey, at least he has a customized Kart to go along with him!, and also i wanna make a version 2 of this with the 2nd color script, however i don't know how to get it, so help with that would be appreciated.

Also yes, i uploaded this on discord before, but this version has some changes such as the signpost.

Attachments

• KC_K_Sonic_v1.pk3
    983 KB · Views: 189
  • sonicpinup.jpg
    sonicpinup.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 258
Sergeant Keroro from Sgt. Frog (Keroro Gunso) [C4 Entry]

This is the most updated version of the mod posted before. But this version didn't exist before. This was supposed to be used for v1.5 but then i decided to enter the character contest. So here's what's new.

*Polished Sprites
*New Hurt Frames
*New Goal Post
*Added Japanese Version
*Changed Stats [WEIGHT 3, SPEED 6]
*Renamed from "Keroro" to "Sgt. Keroro"

(Also sorry about the md2 not existing, also for only adding the jpn version. and using the wad instead of the pk3)

Attachments

• KC_Keroro_v1.5_JPN.zip
    121.5 KB · Views: 138
  • KC_Keroro_v1.5_JPN.zip
    121.5 KB · Views: 159
  • kart0000.gif
    kart0000.gif
    3.2 MB · Views: 267
  • kart0000.gif
    kart0000.gif
    3.2 MB · Views: 299
  • kart0001.gif
    kart0001.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 264
  • kart0002.gif
    kart0002.gif
    849.5 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Here's my submission

This is one of my characters, Hoodie. Keep in mind, theres no custom voice clips (yet), instead she just use SRB2 and other game's sounds sfx.

and yes is a she so lol

Attachments

• KC_hoodie.pk3
    106.1 KB · Views: 181
  • kart0094.png
    kart0094.png
    249.2 KB · Views: 271
  • kart0083.png
    kart0083.png
    142.2 KB · Views: 319
  • kart0089.png
    kart0089.png
    147.4 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
attachment.php

The 3 body segments can be bumped into by other players. They act as hitboxes for growth/shrink and invincibility too, whether attacking or fleeing. In battle mode, you won't collide with the segments while in Karma mode or trying to steal someone's bumper. Should you wish to run the character without this gimmick, server admins can can turn off the extra collision mechanics by using the consvar "caterkillercollide".
EDIT: Updated to v2; fixed body parts floating above the ground in reverse gravity, and may or may not have added a secret.
EDIT: Updated to v3; fixed error showing up when turning off the secret (whoops).
EDIT: Updated to v4; lowered the volume of all sounds.

Attachments

• kart0028.gif
    kart0028.gif
    6.1 MB · Views: 1,624
  • kart0028.gif
    kart0028.gif
    6.1 MB · Views: 1,904
  • kart0027.gif
    kart0027.gif
    3.5 MB · Views: 449
  • kart0027.gif
    kart0027.gif
    3.5 MB · Views: 337
  • colors2.gif
    colors2.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 288
  • colors2.gif
    colors2.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 317
  • kcl_caterkiller_v4.pk3
    252.1 KB · Views: 230
  • kcl_caterkiller_v4.pk3
    252.1 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
DiC Sonic juices into the competition!

murica.png

Based off The Incredible World of DiC's animations, this version of Sonic takes inspirations from his most iconic cartoons from the 90's, such as:
Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog (AoStH)
Sonic the Hedgehog Saturday AM (SatAM)
and Sonic Underground.​

Stats

kart0030.gif

Speed: 8
Weight 2

Credits

Sketch bases for sprites by Bright Tailz (aka CommandoEclipse)
Sprite work by KamiJoJo (@KamiJoJo_ on Twitter)
Promo Artwork by @SanicTheSanic#2214 (He's roaming around Discord)
Coding + Sound effect rips by @Mr. McScrewup#1140 (Also on Discord)
Sonic's voice by Jaleel White

Attachments

• kart0030.gif
    kart0030.gif
    852 KB · Views: 904
  • kart0030.gif
    kart0030.gif
    852 KB · Views: 962
  • kart0009.gif
    kart0009.gif
    7.7 MB · Views: 454
  • kart0009.gif
    kart0009.gif
    7.7 MB · Views: 510
  • kart0008.gif
    kart0008.gif
    5.2 MB · Views: 665
  • kart0008.gif
    kart0008.gif
    5.2 MB · Views: 451
  • kart0011.gif
    kart0011.gif
    6 MB · Views: 641
  • kart0011.gif
    kart0011.gif
    6 MB · Views: 668
  • kart0012.gif
    kart0012.gif
    4 MB · Views: 517
  • kart0012.gif
    kart0012.gif
    4 MB · Views: 667
  • kart0013.gif
    kart0013.gif
    6.1 MB · Views: 472
  • kart0013.gif
    kart0013.gif
    6.1 MB · Views: 774
  • KC_DiC_Sonic_v1.5.rar
    290.4 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back