• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Lat' does bullshit~

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main gimmick of the level in there is very interesting as a whole, and I love the you've made of it so far.

I'm glad to see that you like it! ^^

ClearWastefulJoey.gif

Visuals, and this area in general are pretty much incomplete.

One thing I'd suggest is giving the water a light colormap, to make it more obvious you're in water. The one I'd suggest would probably be #FFFFFFC on the upper texture and #444444Z on the lower texture, though obviously experiment yourself and find the best balance of being noticeable without being distracting. (If the issue is the colormap bleeding below the water, I believe setting noclimb on the control linedef prevents that from happening.)

It looks pretty nice actually, thanks!

However I seem to have a problem where the colormap of the second section's water, it seems to strangely by applied on random sectors. Odd, because the same thing would happen with the gravity flip if I did something wrong. This also happens with the noclimb thingy checked on. (I guess I'll move my ass up to the IRC that I haven't connected on for a year tomorrow to ask help with that?)

To be like "my shit is not dead"

The last flooded area in the previous gif ... unflooded.

Yes, sections without Flipgoop actually exist!

Looking pretty decent. While the flipgoop is pretty neat, it's good to see that not the entire level revolves around that gimmick.

Looking pretty decent. While the flipgoop is pretty neat, it's good to see that not the entire level revolves around that gimmick.

Those sections are still pretty small. For instance... Labyrinth Zone sections without water are not Labyrinth Zone sections :>

What an awful person I am.

Here is the return of our beloved gifs, this one shows how nice my ideas are with the player.
DistantPowerfulAsp.gif
From now on I'll post my gifs in spoiler tags to help loading times and all.

I have other stuff in work too, but it's pretty unfinished and probably contains cancer. And I do care for your health, so... maybe next year?
Psst, it's about SRB2MD

GIFs in spoiler tags are still loaded when you navigate to the page, unfortunately. This was an issue with my topic for people on slower connections, and the spoiler tags weren't cutting it. In the end, the only solution is to put a gif for your most recent recording, and then link to the original gfycat for older recordings.

Onto the subject of the gif. A death pit that you are thrown into by getting hit is extremely punishing design. Whilst it's good to be punishing, and I seriously love the concept of dissuading you from jumping, some potential for recovery from small mistakes should be allowed. This makes me think the ceiling should be an electric damage surface instead of an outright death pit.

(also, your water really needs a white-tinted colormap)

Also, if it's a death pit, it should LOOK like a pit. Don't use electric pain textures for instant death.

GIFs in spoiler tags are still loaded when you navigate to the page, unfortunately. This was an issue with my topic for people on slower connections, and the spoiler tags weren't cutting it. In the end, the only solution is to put a gif for your most recent recording, and then link to the original gfycat for older recordings.

Well, then I guess I'm gonna move my ass to do it before someone's connection crashes XP

Onto the subject of the gif. A death pit that you are thrown into by getting hit is extremely punishing design. Whilst it's good to be punishing, and I seriously love the concept of dissuading you from jumping, some potential for recovery from small mistakes should be allowed. This makes me think the ceiling should be an electric damage surface instead of an outright death pit.

I guess I'm gonna make it electric damage, in this case.

(also, your water really needs a white-tinted colormap)

I swear to god, I tried, but the fact that there are FOFs combined with raising water makes this a real pain in the ass to do, and as I am pretty much some inexperienced mapper when it comes to all of the FOFs bullshit, I often end up with this kind of ugly thing:

Oh my god!

Also, if it's a death pit, it should LOOK like a pit. Don't use electric pain textures for instant death.

I've put yellow "electric flashing lights" for electrical damage and grey ones for instakill. I guess I'll put real 2.1-ish death pits instead, then.

I've put yellow "electric flashing lights" for electrical damage and grey ones for instakill. I guess I'll put real 2.1-ish death pits instead, then.
A general rule of classic Sonic is that touching something cannot instantly kill you. The only things that can instantly kill you are falling off the stage, crushing, drowning, and time over. Hence you should always use a pit (black or sky) for instant death floors.

Also, that screenshot seems fine to me. It's really important to be able to know at a glance whether you're underwater or not.

Don't be afraid to use fade to black ceilings for death pits, even if it doesn't seem like it would make much sense. It's very easy to communicate to the player that it's instantly fatal, Egg Rock for example uses fade to black ceilings quite frequently actually.

There's certainly ways to communicate that a touch based hazard is fatal, but you'll need to be extremely explicit with it. And at that point you may as well use a fade to black death pit or an open sky instead.

But yes, I really like how this level is shaping up so far!

Yeah, looking a little off in OpenGL (which is unsupported anyways so you don't need to care about it) is a small price to pay for at-a-glance determining whether you're underwater or not.

A general rule of classic Sonic is that touching something cannot instantly kill you. The only things that can instantly kill you are falling off the stage, crushing, drowning, and time over. Hence you should always use a pit (black or sky) for instant death floors.

Don't be afraid to use fade to black ceilings for death pits, even if it doesn't seem like it would make much sense. It's very easy to communicate to the player that it's instantly fatal, Egg Rock for example uses fade to black ceilings quite frequently actually.

There's certainly ways to communicate that a touch based hazard is fatal, but you'll need to be extremely explicit with it. And at that point you may as well use a fade to black death pit or an open sky instead.

Is this one doing its job correctly, for instance? (Don't mind the white colormap on the platform)

But yes, I really like how this level is shaping up so far!
I am glad you're thinking so! ^^

Also, that screenshot seems fine to me. It's really important to be able to know at a glance whether you're underwater or not.

Yeah, looking a little off in OpenGL (which is unsupported anyways so you don't need to care about it) is a small price to pay for at-a-glance determining whether you're underwater or not.

I guess OpenGL somehow hided the big flaw on this screenshot.
The thing is that the colormap is missing from the bottom (or here the top in reverse gravity) of the platform and as I don't know a shit about the way to make this propely work, The level also has some other sectors missing their colormap, which is really ugly. I don't really know how to fix this as this is related to the raising water and all, and as said earlier, I just suck with this kind of FOFs thing. This is also what made me remove the colormaps in the first place.

Now onto the novelty, I added a colormap to the water, and a "recover" ceillng for the first two spikes thingies. (and also forgot to put the colormap into the light blocks)
GiddyFlawedIcelandgull.gif

I would make the water sides to be a waterfall texture (flowing in the direction of its gravity, preferably) instead of a generic noise texture. Over than that though, nice job!

Last edited:
I would make the water sides to be a waterfall texture (flowing in the direction of its gravity, preferably) instead of a generic noise texture. Over than that though, nice job!

I'll get my paws on this, thanks for the suggestion!

Anyway, here is my love letter to Sonic 3, and to MotorRoach too, I believe.

AchingImaginaryIslandwhistler.gif

I finished writing my love letter, and this is all MotorRoach's fault for making Knuckles' chuckling sprites.

I gotta rework the teleport, like a lot, cause it synched out of the cutscene a bit.
EDIT: Also yeah, Knuckles is a magically teleporting Echidna.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back