Metal Anyone v2 - Leave your Ability to Fate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh. My. God.

This. Is. Wonderful.

Thank you for making this. It's super fun. XD Got up to Castle Eggman zone 2 before I bit the dust. Never knowing what you're gonna get really shakes things up.

Also, the abilities seem relatively balanced, so kudos to that.
Like, the Blaze Drill has fantastic height, but doesn't go very far, which makes it awful for gaining speed, but great for platforming.
And Shadow's Homing attack is a bit slow and short ranged, so that balances too.

Just wish I could try out Espio's skill...I never seem to get it no matter what I do. >_>
EDIT 2: Finally got it. Huh...that's...Kinda nifty. Not sure it's that useful, but it's still pretty neat!

The only one I'm unhappy with is Gamma. He's WAAAAY too slow for the ability he gets, IMO.
EDIT: Scratch that. It's more that his acceleration is awful. His top speed is ok.

5 stars. I love the heck out of it, and would really enjoy a version with even MORE abilities on roulette! XD

(I'd also really like to play a character at some point that makes use of the Blaze Drill as their main skill. For some weird reason I think it would fit Mario or something like that. XD)

That, and who's gonna represent swim anyway?

*cough Chaos Zero cough*

Honestly, as situational as Swim is, if it's paired with good stats, ability to breathe underwater and maybe a really high jump, it might not be a bad idea.

Last edited:
Honestly, as situational as Swim is, if it's paired with good stats, ability to breathe underwater and maybe a really high jump, it might not be a bad idea.

Please.
Silver's Telekinetic power is combined with low top speed and fast acceleration, but yet it is here. (Considering it's ability being SO useless, only being capable of moving enemies) Swim doesn't need much to be on the WAD. Seriously, who is better?:
Swimming on da water, or moving enemies outta your way? It's actually the same thing, but they do different things.

The thought of this becoming Emerl is interesting, and I don't think a lot of people would care if he floated for things like running. That's 20 frames shaved right off.

You'll update her? She'll have the Air Drill? That would be cool... I've bored of being only capable of using her floating ability, when all other characters have multiple abilities, created by using the LUA's magic. Anything that is related to Blaze, interests me too.

All depends on if the game comes with that, or if it's a LUA ability, somebody gives me their blessing to use the script. I'd love to make my Blaze consistent with what Metal's doing here, and the whole floating thing is badly executed anyway. I wanted it to be like her flare jump in Sonic Rush, but that wasn't possible outside of SRB2 Riders until 2.1.

Actually, Metal Anyone uses all the vanilla abilities except the really useless swim, so Blaze simply needs to have her ability set to CA_AIRDRIL to have it.

...I swear it used to climb higher or something, though...

Edit(20171013): Ugh, stumbled upon this and I hate to see what happened and how I was to this.
My whole thought behind this was that if we already have something that shows off all the abilities and gives them to you by random we should just have all abilities, regardless if the owner hates certain ones.
Yes, Swim is situational and has "no use" if there's no water around, I do think plenty of the other ones, especially with certain stats can also be more "garbage" than anything, even if you can use them all the time.
The whole point of this post was basically be a "hey I've tried out swim, and guess what, yes you can only use it in certain zones but it was quite fun and usual, heck it can even help save other players due to having the fly code as a base" of course the way I posted about this and how I kept on nagging about Swim was stupid and all.

This plays very well, but there is a flaw that bugs me a bit. The dialogue showing what's your ability/type isn't local so it overlaps the text in multiplayer if another player in the server is using Metal Anyone.
That happens with bots too, I asked MonsterIestyn about it and here is how to fix it:

LUA_HUDR

remove "for player in players.iterate" on line 29 and the end for it(end on line 64) Then change "local function h(v, p)" on line 10 to "local function h(v, player)". And it works.

Oh. My. God.

This. Is. Wonderful.

Thank you for making this. It's super fun. XD Got up to Castle Eggman zone 2 before I bit the dust. Never knowing what you're gonna get really shakes things up.

5 stars. I love the heck out of it, and would really enjoy a version with even MORE abilities on roulette! XD

(I'd also really like to play a character at some point that makes use of the Blaze Drill as their main skill. For some weird reason I think it would fit Mario or something like that. XD)

*cough Chaos Zero cough*

I got to CEZ2 too, levels after that are more difficult with random abilities. All of the abilities here are the default srb2 ones, this character shows them all.
Chaos Zero would work, but I thought more about vector, so that the green color gets used.

Please.
Silver's Telekinetic power is combined with low top speed and fast acceleration, but yet it is here. (Considering it's ability being SO useless, only being capable of moving enemies) Swim doesn't need much to be on the WAD. Seriously, who is better?:
Swimming on da water, or moving enemies outta your way? It's actually the same thing, but they do different things.
Thought the same thing, give the player better stats and swim works.

Actually, Metal Anyone uses all the vanilla abilities except the really useless swim, so Blaze simply needs to have her ability set to CA_AIRDRIL to have it.

I think it uses actionspd.
I added vector:
LdF9ITb.png

Here are his stats: most of them are like silver's(silver's ability doesn't give him extra movement, it only pushes enemies, and this doesn't give you extra movement too, so it makes sense that his stats are almost the same.
His top speed is higher, silver is too slow to beat the metal sonic race, not sure if this character can.
TxEpsBw.png

Did you know that you can save other players with swimming ?

Last edited:
I added vector:

Here are his stats: [...]
Forgive my abrasiveness, but can I just mention how rude it is for people to repeatedly nag someone to add something after they've said no and explained why, and to post their own implementations of such as if to say "now you don't have to figure it out yourself, so you have no excuse!"? It's incredibly arrogant, self-entitled, and almost demeaning to the author to mess with their work haphazardly like that.

I wouldn't say anything except that this is far from the first time it's happened. I had it with Space Chase, MI's had it with a couple of his characters, I think it happened to Rosy, and now it's happening here too.

Wow, someone actually said it for once. I agree how persistent some people are with adding something the author thinks is useless and doesn't want.

It's not a bad thing in itself wanting to help and all, but not respecting a design choice is another matter entirely.

This is really great to know! I'll plop that variable in first thing, once I got all the emeralds anyway. Kinda hard to test super form stuff without that.

It's incredibly arrogant, self-entitled, and almost demeaning to the author to mess with their work haphazardly like that.

Has anyone ever noticed that the releases forum tends to have a lot of overly sensational comments like these? Not that I don't agree with your point, but you don't need to resort to hyperbole in order to make it.

Forgive my abrasiveness, but can I just mention how rude it is for people to repeatedly nag someone to add something after they've said no and explained why, and to post their own implementations of such as if to say "now you don't have to figure it out yourself, so you have no excuse!"? It's incredibly arrogant, self-entitled, and almost demeaning to the author to mess with their work haphazardly like that.

I wouldn't say anything except that this is far from the first time it's happened. I had it with Space Chase, MI's had it with a couple of his characters, I think it happened to Rosy, and now it's happening here too.
I'm sorry. I wanted to try out how my idea of vector works and post screenshots of it.
This one is a bit different than the other character wads, Metal Anyone uses almost every ability from vanilla, to show how the abilities are(which is nice, so the other abilites are going to get used more) and it would make for swim to be included in this(telekinesis is almost as worse as swim, exept that it's useable everywhere), but D000D64-X doesn't like the ability, that's ok but a character wad that shows all singleplayer abilities should have all abilities of that ?

I didn't post a finished version of my edit for that reason, but it wasn't the best idea to include the stats in code, removed that part from my reply.

Telekinesis is almost as worse as swim, exept that it's useable everywhere.

...Are you conscious of what are ya saying? How the hell do you wanna use Telekinesis everywhere, if the ONLY THING it does is moving enemies of place, and that's all?! Sorry for that, but seriously, in my opinion, Swim is better than telekinetics; Swim is useable only in the water, right? But... At least, it serves to save yourself from drowning. Even if that is the only thing it does, it serves for something! The only thing Telekinesis does, is moving enemies of place, and... maybe pushing them to death pits. But, aside that, it's useless. Why do you need that ability, if you can kill enemies with only jumping on them? That's why "Metal Silver" is combined with good acceleration, and a bit low top speed. I'm not saying you have to quit telekinesis of the WAD, but i don't understand why do you don't want putting Swim in it.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

All depends on if the game comes with that, or if it's a LUA ability, somebody gives me their blessing to use the script. I'd love to make my Blaze consistent with what Metal's doing here, and the whole floating thing is badly executed anyway. I wanted it to be like her flare jump in Sonic Rush, but that wasn't possible outside of SRB2 Riders until 2.1.

Maybe putting Air Drill asigned to one of the LUA's custom buttons? It would be cool.

Last edited:
...Are you conscious of what are ya saying? How the hell do you wanna use Telekinesis everywhere, if the ONLY THING it does is moving enemies of place, and that's all?! Sorry for that, but seriously, in my opinion, Swim is better than telekinetics; Swim is useable only in the water, right? But... At least, it serves to save yourself from drowning. Even if that is the only thing it does, it serves for something! The only thing Telekinesis does, is moving enemies of place, and... maybe pushing them to death pits. But, aside that, it's useless. Why do you need that ability, if you can kill enemies with only jumping on them? That's why "Metal Silver" is combined with good acceleration, and a bit low top speed. I'm not saying you have to quit telekinesis of the WAD, but i don't understand why do you don't want putting Swim in it.

Swim works for 3 of the levels in the game.

The first three.

Then it is completely useless.

At that point, your ability might as well be CA_NONE, and then that just defeats the point of swim. Telekinesis is at least usable on any level. And not another ability with more restrictions and two perks.

I wanted to make sure all the vanilla abilities were into the rotation, but Swim is so situational and a clone of an existing ability, to the point where it just outright does not serve any use after the first 3 zones. Sure, telekinesis needs... some kind of SOMETHING, and while I'd love to add the ability to pick up and throw stuff, then it stops being about the vanilla ability. Telekinesis is definitely one of the weaker abilities, but it's staying, and swim is not getting added.

The first three.

At that point, your ability might as well be CA_NONE, and then that just defeats the point of swim. Telekinesis is at least usable on any level. And not another ability with more restrictions and two perks.

I wanted to make sure all the vanilla abilities were into the rotation, but Swim is so situational and a clone of an existing ability, to the point where it just outright does not serve any use after the first 3 zones. Sure, telekinesis needs... some kind of SOMETHING, and while I'd love to add the ability to pick up and throw stuff, then it stops being about the vanilla ability. Telekinesis is definitely one of the weaker abilities, but it's staying, and swim is not getting added.

Well, at least i tried. Anyway, i've being thinking about Swim, and.... Maybe an bad-good luck ability? You know, about the roulette. It can be a VERY but VERY low chance of getting it. And if not, don't mind at me.

The first three.

Wait, is that actually th-

...Oh jeez. You're right.

After Deep Sea zone 3, the only other point in the game where it's useful is that flooding room in Castle Eggman 2. After that, there's either no water, or you're in it for such a short period of time that it serves absolutely no use. I mean, unless it was paired with "breathe in space" and "not damaged by lava" it would become completely worthless past the halfway point. And Amy is already the borderline useless power at that point already, so we really don't need another "joke" ability set.

Jeez, now I feel stupid for not realizing that.

Great idea for a wad. His gameplay is unique, so if/when anyone makes unique sprites for him he'll be an even more memorable and fun character to play as.

Also, I just knew you'd make that reference as soon as I read the wheel of fate was turning.

EDIT: Consider the following: part of the fun and danger of randomization could be getting something you don't want. Swim could add an interesting factor, in that there is always some danger of getting a useless ability. So while you have many chances to get great abilities, maybe now and then you'll get unlucky. I know you said it is not getting in, but that could be a perspective to think about. Better than having CA_NONE... because knowing you have something but not enough is a good tease.

Last edited:
I would rather that every ability was relatively balanced. Unpredictability is fun, but nobody likes being a victim of circumstance.

I think that swim is more useful than telekinesis too, but that was D00D's only point on why telekinesis gets accepted and swim doesn't(the other was that swim is a "clone", yes it's a edited flying but it's infinite and comes with waterrun and that it's "fun to use", which is different for everyone. I enjoy using waterrun.)

I asked D00D for swim+good stats, something like silver but with higher speed and maybe a higher jump(fast acceleration underwater is good and a higher jump for no air move balances it ?) but he thinks that the character would only be played for it's good stats and not for the swim ability.

Wait, is that actually th-
...Oh jeez. You're right.

After Deep Sea zone 3, the only other point in the game where it's useful is that flooding room in Castle Eggman 2. After that, there's either no water, or you're in it for such a short period of time that it serves absolutely no use. I mean, unless it was paired with "breathe in space" and "not damaged by lava" it would become completely worthless past the halfway point. And Amy is already the borderline useless power at that point already, so we really don't need another "joke" ability set.

Jeez, now I feel stupid for not realizing that.
Yes, running on lava doesn't work. I think a lot of the characters on this are useful for the first half of the game, but only some of them have a use on the later half.(most of them can't defeat metal sonic and no spin forces some paths).
Great idea for a wad. His gameplay is unique, so if/when anyone makes unique sprites for him he'll be an even more memorable and fun character to play as.

Also, I just knew you'd make that reference as soon as I read the wheel of fate was turning.

EDIT: Consider the following: part of the fun and danger of randomization could be getting something you don't want. Swim could add an interesting factor, in that there is always some danger of getting a useless ability. So while you have many chances to get great abilities, maybe now and then you'll get unlucky. I know you said it is not getting in, but that could be a perspective to think about. Better than having CA_NONE... because knowing you have something but not enough is a good tease.
Unique sprites are nice but I hope that this gets 2 different wads, one with metal and one with the new emerl/gemerl sprites. Metal Sonic did copy the powers in sonic heroes.

This character is a bit about luck, did you ever get silver sonic(the robot, not the one from 06) in Deep Sea Zone ? Slow Acceleration underwater is so slow.

This character is a bit about luck, did you ever get silver sonic(the robot, not the one from 06) in Deep Sea Zone ? Slow Acceleration underwater is so slow.

Yup, very but VERY slow. Although his float-ability is of a great use in parts like the DSZ2 underwater path (In the zone with up-falling platforms) it is no use after that, in the underwater-crushers, cuz it's TOO slow. What can i say? It's a Silver-Sonic, after all.

The only abilities I'd see myself giving Vector would be a weaker but slightly longer-lasting thok and the ability to climb just like Knuckles if he hits a climbable wall during or after the thok, since that was his move set in Knuckles' Chaotix.

I also have to bring up in multiplayer, it didn't just display my Metal's power, but the power of every other Metal currently in-game.

Yup, very but VERY slow. Although his float-ability is of a great use in parts like the DSZ2 underwater path (In the zone with up-falling platforms) it is no use after that, in the underwater-crushers, cuz it's TOO slow. What can i say? It's a Silver-Sonic, after all.
I wanted to say that some characters are better for levels than others, the same happens to a character with a swim ability, exept that his ability and not only the physics make him better/worse in some levels.

This is rather amazing!
I would love to Emerl as it though. (I know this was talked about so no need to kick the horse)
Anyway, I'd like to see, if possible, to fix up the RUNSPEEDS of the different stats. Many of the colors have metal flickering between walking and running frames due to it either not changing for other characters or just not the right numbers being used. (Or it could just not work I suppose)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back