Anyway to fix a Network Driver? (I think it's a Network Driver.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicX8000

Graphic & Sprite Modder.
Judge
A Virus on my computer seems to have killed my Network Driver, and I tried looking on google for some help, but it doesn't seem to work.

Let me explain, everything is hooked up, cable is plugged into the Harddrive, hooked to the Modem, but for some odd reason... It won't let me connect to the Internet.

I called my ISP, and they told me that my computer isn't connected, but I told them that everything is hooked up.

Then they mentioned something about maybe a issue with a Network something. My guess is a Network Driver. (I think it's called Intel... something...)

I have Window XP Home Edtion.
If someone knows what issue I could be having, please tell.

Everything else connects fine, but it's just my Computer that refuses to connect to fhe Internet...

No, the cables aren't damaged or anything, nor did they cut off the Internet.

Last edited:
Crack open device manager (Start -> Right Click 'Computer', Properties, click the Hardware Tab, go to Device Manger) and see if your network adapter's drivers are okay, or if there isn't any network adapters listed, then look under unknown devices, find out what the adapter name is. Oh, and what model is your PC, assuming it's a pre-built Dell/HP/whatever.

This is an ethernet cable, yes? The fatter version of a telephone cable, they sometimes have cat5 or cat5e (or sometimes cat6) written on the wire casing somewhere.

Ehh... how would I know what Model I would have?

Ok, it is listed as Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection.

Last edited:
If you double click it, does it bring up any error messages in the box at all?

What happens when you plug in the network cable? Do the 2 little computers in the bottom right hand corner start to animate and such?

No, they don't.

All it shows is 2 Computers with a Red X on it. (The cable is plugged in.)

Nothing stands out as being wrong with your drivers, I'd get rid of the virus though, you never know what those things can do.

My Mother had a problem like this and while the internet wasn't completely unusable a few applications I used frequently such as SRB2 and Steam wouldn't connect at all. I tried every logical action to fix the problem and nothing worked. The virus that was previously on the machine had damaged something network related in Windows XP that I couldn't find a fix for. My solution? Use the restore function on boot up to restore the operating system to a factory state. Hewlett Packard machines have this and I'm guessing other major brands do as well.

You can also try uninstalling the driver in the Device Manager. Windows should 'refind' it on the next boot and reinstall the driver, and if it doesn't, track whatever OEM driver cd the computer came with. If you can't, say good bye to internet FOREVER! Unless you manage to scrap up the actual driver from a site and use a USB stick to transfer and install it.

And stop catching viruses! Suggestions:
- Use an alternative browser. I'm not going to be specific on what to get (as it makes a nice funny Internet Fight here), but IE is a lovely attraction of exploits. If you have to use IE, then at least have the modesty to run Windows Update.
- If any, cut compulsive P2P habits, this can be dangerous.
- A good firewall is good too. COMODO is a good one, and has a trustfully paranoid Defense+ (great for keeping SecuROM from installing) and an anti-virus as well.

I'm going to take it in to Bestbuy today, they will take a look at it for no charge. (I hope.)

I also might need to reformat it, as this Virus done quite some damage.

Reformating goes about $130, at least it beats buying a Brand New Computer for... eh, forgot how much they go for now.

Have you ever taken the thought into account that your Ethernet cable might have failed at all? Its something that is always overlooked, but it can cause this problem, and from your computer it will look like the Ethernet cable is unplugged.

Also, the "Harddrive" is actually called the computer =P A hard drive is a much smaller device with magnetic disks and reading heads inside your computer that stores all your data.

Why on earth would you pay to get your computer reformatted? That sounds like a huge ripoff to me.

You can also try uninstalling the driver in the Device Manager. Windows should 'refind' it on the next boot and reinstall the driver, and if it doesn't, track whatever OEM driver cd the computer came with. If you can't, say good bye to internet FOREVER! Unless you manage to scrap up the actual driver from a site and use a USB stick to transfer and install it.

And stop catching viruses! Suggestions:
- Use an alternative browser. I'm not going to be specific on what to get (as it makes a nice funny Internet Fight here), but IE is a lovely attraction of exploits. If you have to use IE, then at least have the modesty to run Windows Update.
- If any, cut compulsive P2P habits, this can be dangerous.
- A good firewall is good too. COMODO is a good one, and has a trustfully paranoid Defense+ (great for keeping SecuROM from installing) and an anti-virus as well.

THANK YOU!
By uninstalling the Network Driver, upon restarting the computer, it reinstalled the Network Driver anew, and now I can connect to the Internet again.

Still... I hope I can rid of the Virus before this happens again...

SonicX8000, you can change your sig now. :D

Like Foxy said, why would you pay to get your computer reformatted? When you can do it for FREE?

Old reply I know.

Reason is that eariler my Computer wouldn't read the Operating System for the CD Drive & DVD Drive, so I was unable to reformat it myself.

My Computer is fixed, so I don't need to reformat it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back