backwards movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitfox

I know that Sonic can run at the speed of sound, but it's a bit odd that he can run at the speed of sound backwards. If you've played Sonic and the Secret Rings, we all know he's not NEARLY that fast...

why do the characters all move so fast backwards?

Because he can. Look at the intro movie of the Sonic Heroes team, you'll see him run backwards at 200 miles a hour too.

In Sonic & the Secret Rings he has to brake and recollect some rings. Can you imagine running backwards at the speed you'll normally run forwards? I think you'd be dead or running into a wall not many seconds later.

Super mystic sonic said:
Because he can. Look at the intro movie of the Sonic Heroes team, you'll see him run backwards at 200 miles a hour too.

In Sonic & the Secret Rings he has to brake and recollect some rings. Can you imagine running backwards at the speed you'll normally run forwards? I think you'd be dead or running into a wall not many seconds later.

it really throws me off that he runs that fast backwards. Guess I just have to get used to it...

the physics of this game are kinda... uh... to be completely blunt... choppy. I know you can't change direction in the air, but in every sonic game since sonic adventure, you've been able to... here you can't, really. Also, flying with Tails is just lame, since to change directions you generally have to hit a wall, since he most likely won't change directions before he gets tired and falls down.

The physics in SRB2 are designed to emulate the classic games, and they had VERY different physics than what you're used to if all you've played are the post-Adventure games. The physics are perfectly solid, they're just not what you're used to. There is actual inertia, so if you want to turn around in midair, try pressing the backpedal and/or strafing.

Kitfox, try running backwards in real life. It's either an illusion, or you can actually move faster running backwards, than forwards.

Mystic said:
The physics in SRB2 are designed to emulate the classic games, and they had VERY different physics than what you're used to if all you've played are the post-Adventure games. The physics are perfectly solid, they're just not what you're used to. There is actual inertia, so if you want to turn around in midair, try pressing the backpedal and/or strafing.

I suppose you're right, but putting 2-D physics in a 3-D world is really risky.

if only to help little nooblets like me that like the keys limited, is there some way to make the flying more Sonic Adventure style (change directions when you turn instead of having to strafe/backpedal)?

I hear you're working on a final version. Not like I can command you to, but Users like me would love it if you'd include a feature like that...

Analog? You mean like that? That's in the options menu, though you may not like it on the keyboard.

BlueZero4 said:
Analog? You mean like that? That's in the options menu, though you may not like it on the keyboard.

o.o

I have a ps2-style controller... but I much prefer keyboards.

There's a common stereotype that SRB2's Analog control mode refers to controllers (usually of the PS2 style). It annoys the sonicpoop.wad out of me.

This is untrue. SRB2's Analog control mode simply allows you to move more like Sonic Adventure. You actually move in the direction you're pressing, instead of walking backwards and sideways. You don't even need an analog controller to play it. I can play in analog mode fine with my keyboard, and keyboards have digital keys.

People find this harder to control. Also, it doesn't work on netgames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back