New 2D Sonic game "Sonic the Hedgehog 4" announced for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
"killed" heroes?
Heroes did pretty good actually. Sold so much, did well with the critics, it also did pretty well with the fans.

Though, several days...years later. Some fans started hating the game. Then more fans came along and hated it as well.
I bought Heroes. While parts of it were great, so much of it was incredibly subpar that I soon started to hate it. Heroes gives a great first impression and then quickly drags into hatred for the level and game designers. While I won't deny I had fun in places, by the time I had completed the game I had a firm hatred for it. This is in direct contrast with the previous game, SA2, which while I had a hatred for parts of it (chao, emerald hunting), my overall impression of the experience was positive when I was done.

I suspect the reason there was a delayed negative reaction to Heroes is that it has a great first impression, as the first world of the game really is well-designed. It took a little longer than normal for everyone to form a negative opinion of the game because of that.

You have some good points, Mystic. Early on, the game seemed like it tried to be a 3D version of the 2D games in terms of progression and level design, at least asthetically. On my first (only?) playthrough, it gave me pretty high hopes. Once I got to, say, the sky/canyon levels, the whole team thing became tedious and the level design jumped the shark quick.

Actually, the canyon levels, Hang Castle, and the Egg Fleet were my favorite levels in Sonic Heroes...

Did Heroes introduce any new characters? IIRC, it didn't, at least in terms of significant ones.

I think it introduced Omega; whom is actually pretty cool.

Sonic Heroes is a decent game at best; I wish there was more variety among the 4 teams though.

Omega: AKA the clone of Gamma, since he's "dead" and all. Omega was always a "darker" cheap ripoff of him to me. While Gamma realised he had to "save his riends" by destroying them and free the birds inside being his only motive (eventually getting to the point where he let himself "die" to free one more), Omega just focused on being a "cool" robot that destroyed "WORTHLESS COMSUMER MODELS" and was just there to be something armed to the teeth with missiles.

I liked all of Sonic Heroes except for the canyon level where I repeatedly died for no reason on the rails and Egg Fleet was my favorite level too.

I absolutely loved Seaside Hill, Hang Castle, and Egg Fleet, both aesthetically and level-design wise. The rest tend to be either generic or broken. That said, I still enjoyed the game overall.

And regarding that SaSASR theme, I concur that it's awful.

Last edited:
Yeah, I loved the first and last zones, as well as the haunted acts. But the rest of the game really felt lackluster, repetitive, and just uninspired.

Personally, I found the first and last "zones" of Heroes to be fun, and the rest was rubbish.

Frog Forest was pretty decent to me... Lost Jungle... yeah, no.

But yeah, other than that the rest is crap, especially the canyon levels with the overly annoying fact that if you fall off the rails you're as good as dead. Especially considering the rubbish controls the PS2 version has, causing me to switch someone else I don't want. (ex. I press O to switch to Tails it immediatly switches to Knuckles instead. I hate that.)

Y'know, frankly I'm convinced Heroes would've been a lot better received if it didn't force you to replay the exact same stage ladder four times with the kind of minor changes you'd expect from a rom hack. Other than that and the absurdly large insta-death centric level design I didn't really have any other major gripes with it.

And the Chaotix? What the ****. Emerald collecting actually worked back in the first two adventures, but those kinds of fetch quests are dreadful in linear environments, even worse when you don't have the complimentary proximity indictator and no other clue of where to find stuff, and ShTH proves that to an even greater extent. Now see, as much hit-and-miss treasure hunting might have been before, at least it appealed to someone - then Heroes and ShTH came and turned it into a complete piece of ****.

...but umm, weren't we talking about Needlemouse here? I guess that's what happens when we only have a teaser to discuss.

We don't even have a teaser to discuss. It was made by a third-party who only had "Sega is making a 2D Sonic game in 2010 and has nothing to show for it" to go by, and was tasked with pulling the trailer out of their ass in a week. Which is good for that particular company, they met the deadline with resounding success, but since the trailer was made without any information about the game other than it existed, it has no bearing on the actual game, meaning we've gone from extrapolating SOME info about the game from it to knowing nothing at all about the game other than it's supposedly 2D, it's supposedly HD, and it's supposedly a downloadable title (XBLA, PSN, maybe Steam, etc).

For a prime example of how not to announce a game, you needn't look any further.

I was about to post that right now, and now I don't have any kind of hope in this game. Just when Sega seems to be doing something right, they have to find some way to muck it all up somehow.

Now I'm getting Sonic The Hedgehog Forever vibes from this whole thing. Anyone else?

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=18986
We don't even have a teaser to discuss. It was made by a third-party who only had "Sega is making a 2D Sonic game in 2010 and has nothing to show for it" to go by, and was tasked with pulling the trailer out of their ass in a week. Which is good for that particular company, they met the deadline with resounding success, but since the trailer was made without any information about the game other than it existed, it has no bearing on the actual game, meaning we've gone from extrapolating SOME info about the game from it to knowing nothing at all about the game other than it's supposedly 2D, it's supposedly HD, and it's supposedly a downloadable title (XBLA, PSN, maybe Steam, etc).

For a prime example of how not to announce a game, you needn't look any further.

It still generate a **** load of hype. 99% of the sonic community probably already want to buy this day 1.

I think so info may come out pretty soon. After all, SEGA's affiliates, Alton Towers and some game retailer are talking about a Relaunch of Sonic.

http://sonicstadium.org/news/exclusive-sonic-rollercoaster-coming-to-alton-towers-in-february

For UK theme park enthusiasts and Sonic fans, we have some exclusive news coming our way from tipster Jon D. A UK theme park, Alton Towers, will be re-branding one of their roller coasters for 2010, the “Spinball Whizzer,” as “Sonic’s Spinball.” Jon cites that a fan e-mailed the park after hearing murmurs about the change and received the following response:

Dear ….

Happy New Year

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you but I have been on holiday. I am sure that you will have picked up press reports by now relating to Spinball Whizzer and the fact that we are in partnership with Sega resulting in a retheme to the ride to coincide with the relaunch of Sonic. We hope that the retheme will be complete for our February half-term opening.

Kind regards

The “Spinball Whizzer” is known as a “spinning wild mouse” coaster, which cars rotate freely as the car moves along the track. There is pinball bumpers and flippers everywhere to simulate the choatic nature of being inside a pinball ta… wait… what was that? Let’s re-read that e-mail…

a retheme to the ride to coincide with the relaunch of Sonic

Uh… what?! The relaunch of Sonic? That’s… a very interesting thing to say…

Anyway, Jon has also included a picture of the ride being converted to its new Sonic theme. The teal color of the “Whizzer” is being replaced with a vibrant, Sonic blue:

To see a video of the “Spinball Whizzer” in action, click here.

Wrapping up his e-mail, Jon also includes a bit of trivia for all of you. Did you know that this isn’t the first time that Alton Towers and SEGA have teamed up? Back in 1994, Alton Towers opened “Toyland Tours” and Sonic had his own section of the ride. It featured a giant Mega Drive, gold rings, TVs playing videos of Sonic games, and an animatronic Sonic. Plus, it even had its own amazing music! Will the animatronic Sonic make a comeback with “Sonic’s Spinball?” We shall see.

Check out the video below at the 3-minute mark to see Sonic in “Toyland Tours.

http://sonicstadium.org/news/rumour-new-sonic-spinball-game-coming-to-wii

UK online retailer Simply Games are listing a new Sonic The Hedgehog Spinball title for Nintendo Wii but what’s odd about it is they list Capcom rather than SEGA as publisher though they could mean developer. This fresh listing has conveniently come in at a time when SEGA and Alton Towers are teamed up for a new Sonic Spinball theme park ride where a statement from a staffer at the park says SEGA are planning a Sonic relaunch of some kind.

Dear ….

Happy New Year

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you but I have been on holiday. I am sure that you will have picked up press reports by now relating to Spinball Whizzer and the fact that we are in partnership with Sega resulting in a retheme to the ride to coincide with the relaunch of Sonic. We hope that the retheme will be complete for our February half-term opening.

Kind regards

So could SEGA be planning a relaunch for Sonic Spinball on Wii? We’ll let you know if any more info comes in but for now take this with a grain of salt, especially as retailers make mistakes with their listings all the time.

Oh, and Shadow Hog's right on this. That trailer developer had no game to show.

http://sonicstadium.org/news/needlemouse-trailer-developer-saw-no-game

SEGA has been very secretive about its upcoming game, code named Project Needlemouse. Until now all we know is that it’s set for 2010, in 2D and is an Action/Adventure game. Well, according to a statement posted 4 months ago over at Vimeo from the trailer’s developer Integrated Alchemy -

SEGA came to Integrated Alchemy Media without a game, without a title, without a logo, without a character, and with a challenge: Make fans of Sonic the Hedgehog excited about his return in the game you’re not going to show. We had one week. But we also had Trevor Gavin, Ryan Berkey and Vadan Less This 30 second teaser got 100,000 views in its first 48 hours and the mission was a total success.

It really does seem like SEGA wants to keep every minute detail of the game secret. For fear of one of its classic leaks, perhaps? The act of silence is working wonders on the fanbase, who are speculating all manner of things on blogs – while the SSMB’s Project Needlemouse topic has stretched to nearly 3000 posts. All on the back of that trailer. Nice work.

Let us know what you think of this development in the comments.

Thanks to The Sniper over at the SSMB for the heads up.

SEGA! You have brought dishonor upon your name for the last time!
seppuku.png

Successful troll is successful. This is the most epic Sonic cycle ever, though I was skeptical about it all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back