SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

Jetty-Syn Proto V2.1.1 - Back for more! (Updated 9/7/2017) Details »»
Jetty-Syn Proto V2.1.1 - Back for more! (Updated 9/7/2017)
Developer Last Online: Oct 2017

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating: (10 votes - 4.80 average)
Released: 10-10-2016 Last Update: Never Installs: 4
Characters Scripts Re-Useable Content Sprites/Graphics

ROBO ON THE RUN!!

While working on the Black Rock doomsday device, Dr. Robotnik experimented with a bipedal Jetty-Syn prototype equipped with an advanced AI system and ball-morphing technology. However, disaster struck -- the prototype rebelled against its creator during a test run, and it broke free from Robotnik's lab, never to be seen again... or so he thought.

A few months later, the maverick robot resurfaced and began an onslaught on Robotnik's army! Even worse, the Jetty-Syn was after the emeralds for his own gain. In desperation, Robotnik sent a special forces unit to hunt him down and retrieve the chaos emeralds from the rogue robot.

Will this renegade outpace his creator, or will the badnik warp squad end his roboticide?
Download now and find out!

A harasser playstyle
Jetty-Syn Proto can fire mid-range shots that chip away at enemies and monitors. He can also stay above the action by using his jetpack, which is fueled by collecting item pickups from enemies and monitors.

Roll up and blast forward!
Proto can enter ball form, allowing him to shrink in size and charge up a dash that destroys enemies and walls. Proto can also perform short air-hops in this form if he has fuel.

Keep up the adrenaline!
Hit enemies while in ball form to power up! While in an adrenaline rush, your speed and gun strength will increase!

Stay alert!!
In the campaign, Proto doesn't use rings as health like other characters, so he can only take so many hits. To make matters worse, Proto is constantly being tailed by enemies that warp to his location. Mind your head-up display and be ready for a fight!

Customize!
Type proto_help for a list of Proto-related console commands. Toggle the HUD, disable ambushes for an easier playthrough, or beacon yourself to the warp squad for an extra challenge.

Credits
Sound effects: Cave Story and DooM
Music: "setblaster2" by coda

Shoutouts go to MonsterIestyn, FuriousFox, and a few others on #srb2fun for answering many of my questions and helping me troubleshoot my code.
Also thanks goes to Tripel the Fox, whose Tails Guy character served as part inspiration for this wad and gave me a starting point for coding when I knew very little about Lua.
Credit to Sapharos for lending me the death animation, which I tweaked a bit.
Special thanks to Wolfy for helping bugtest the character for online play.
Thanks to everyone else for playing and giving all of your feedback!

Download Now

File Type: rar proto-v211.rar (3.63 MB, 401 views)

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 10-17-2016   #42
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Alright, with any luck this will be my last update. Please let me know if there are any bugs after this and I'll try to issue a hotfix.

V1.3 Update Notes

Features:
* Added custom death animation (Courtesy of Sapheros)
* Reworked ball form to allow for external rescaling, i.e. Proto can now turn big or small through gimmicks such as ERZ2's mini section, in addition to shrinking in size through ball form.
* Gave Jetty-Syn Gatling Gunner a custom firing sound

Maintenance:
* Cleaned up code
* All bullet health/damage values have been multiplied by 100. This allows for more flexibility within the bullet hit-counter system.

Balance:
* Proto no longer fits through vertical bars in ball form
* Lowered dash cooldown (25 -> 15 frames)
* Proto's bullets will deal damage relative to his scale vs the enemy's scale (i.e. enemies in ERZ2's mini section will take twice as many hits)
* Lowered fuel drop rate from Jetty-syn Gunners/Bombers
* Various tweaks to spawns and spawn groups
* Tweaked movement values in 2D mode

Bugfixes:
* In ringslinger game modes, Proto no longer fires rings while in ball form
* Proto no longer clips or gets stuck through terrain while switching between forms
* Fixed rare bug where enemies would stay invisible when taking damage from Proto's bullet
* Fixed an oversight that prevented Proto from being able to jump during reverse gravity underwater currents

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 PM ----------

V1.3.1
Okay last update, I promise. This one just fixes Proto's scale on endlevel and on death, disables a debug variable that I left on by accident, and fixes the version date.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff

Last edited by CobaltBW; 10-17-2016 at 01:21 AM.
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016   #43
Sapheros
That guy that ports

The download is is missing. But you'll probably notice once you're back online.
Old 10-17-2016   #44
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Reuploaded.

Old 10-17-2016   #45
SuprDragonX9000
has Mega Evolved

i had a LOT of fun playing with proto, playing as him gives me Metal Slug memories, i also liked the adition of when you get a Fire Flower, you get Fire bullets.
Old 10-17-2016   #46
nothing
Does nothing at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltBW View Post
Who said Proto was a good guy? He's just not on the same side as Robotnik... ;)
Well, my mind has been blown. So he's more of a anti-hero?

Last edited by nothing; 10-17-2016 at 11:56 PM.
nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016   #47
MK.exe
Lazy, Lazy and lazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing View Post
Well, my mind has been blown. So he's more of a anti-hero?
So deadpool. Lol

Try and play with proto with chaos mode on
MK.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017   #48
Barabbas

Thanks I'll try this :)
Barabbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017   #49
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Just wanted to mention that I'm currently working on patch V2.0 of Jetty-Syn Proto. There are several different things I want to improve in this update, but it would take me too long to explain all of them, so I'll just go over some of the more important gameplay adjustments.

First, the obvious: new HUD. The number of encounters you've experienced (since the level loaded) and your current charge level for ball mode are now visible from the HUD, but the HUD also gives away a couple new features.

Proto will receive a new mechanic called the adrenaline rush. By dashing directly into enemies, Proto will receive a temporary boost in speed and firepower, which can be extended by attacking enemies. This is intended to make the game more fast-paced for skilled players, but also give players an extra tool to help them against ambushes and bosses.

You may also notice that there is a health bar in the HUD. This is still a bit experimental at the moment, but I wanted to give combat more weight, and having increased firepower/speed gave me incentive to turn Proto into more of a glass cannon.

Most of the code for this update is done already -- I just need to work on touch-ups, bug fixes, and some rebalancing (particularly for match and ctf, which I've basically neglected up to this point). Expect a new download link probably around a couple weeks or so.

Old 08-19-2017   #50
Flare957
Screw gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltBW View Post

First, the obvious: new HUD. The number of encounters you've experienced (since the level loaded) and your current charge level for ball mode are now visible from the HUD, but the HUD also gives away a couple new features.
Seems interesting. Just a few things I'm wondering about.

What's with Proto's color? Is there a reason for that?

Also, a suggestion would be to perhaps move the new HUD elements to a better spot on the screen, maybe along the bottom or in the top/bottom right corners as it is kinda crowding the left side of the screen.
Flare957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017   #51
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flare957 View Post
Seems interesting. Just a few things I'm wondering about.

What's with Proto's color? Is there a reason for that?
The pulsating color indicates whether Proto is currently in adrenaline mode (orange/red for stage 1, steel/purple for stage 2).

Quote:
Also, a suggestion would be to perhaps move the new HUD elements to a better spot on the screen, maybe along the bottom or in the top/bottom right corners as it is kinda crowding the left side of the screen.
Yeah, I plan on messing with this still. There's a lot variables onscreen now, so it's a bit of a struggle to keep the HUD clean.

The only problem with moving it to the right side is that the powerup icons are often displayed there in first person. Meanwhile, a lot of custom mods use the bottom right corner for things like boss health bars, meaning that anything placed down there would conflict with mods like SUBARASHII. In spite of Proto's increasing complexity, I'm still trying to keep him compatible with as many level packs as possible.

Old 08-19-2017   #52
ProtoBlur
also known as King Proto

Looks very promising! One thing I should say is that with the current version IIRC (I think it tells you I dont remember) is that it doesnt really tell you when an encounter is happening. I remember running around a stage and only realizing an encounter happened when I had to back-track or they caught up to me when I had to slow down. Other than that this is a fantastic character you made Colbalt.
Old 08-23-2017   #53
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoBlur View Post
Looks very promising! One thing I should say is that with the current version IIRC (I think it tells you I dont remember) is that it doesnt really tell you when an encounter is happening. I remember running around a stage and only realizing an encounter happened when I had to back-track or they caught up to me when I had to slow down. Other than that this is a fantastic character you made Colbalt.
Sorry, this is a late response. In the current public version, a siren alarm sound goes off to alert you when an encounter is happening, so you may want to turn up your volume so you can get that audio cue. This indicator will still be here in the new version, but the HUD will also tell you if an ambush is in progress and how many encounters have occurred since the level had loaded. (This will be useful for multiple reasons, which I won't go into just yet.)

I also updated the HUD in response to feedback. The new version keeps all of the relevant information, but is significantly more compact and less obstructing to the field of view. Take a look at what happens to the bottom HUD elements as Proto moves between different modes and powerups.

Old 08-24-2017   #54
ProtoBlur
also known as King Proto

Whoops. Looks like it was my volume, my bad. ^_^;

That new HUD looks really great I cant wait until the next version!
Old 08-29-2017   #55
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Proto is very close to finished -- I just need to do a few more playtests to kill any bugs that may have slipped through the cracks. I'm expecting to upload on or before the 3rd; in the meantime, here's me screwing around in SUGOI/SUGOI2 (minor spoilers inside):

Spoiler:

Old 09-03-2017   #56
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

It's here! Get the download in the description.

2.0 Change Log

Feature:
* Proto now has custom health! Getting hit by enemies is a bit more dangerous now, but you can upgrade your health pool by collecting emeralds.
* Feel the rush!! Proto will get an adrenaline boost whenever he dashes into enemies, making him temporarily stronger and faster.
* Proto can "air hop" while in ball form -- for a little fuel, you can slow your momentum and hop forward in the air. Good for precision platforming!
* New item pickups have been added, and monitors can now drop items as well.
* Ambushes progress in difficulty and reset upon death -- the longer you go, the bigger challenges you will face.
* A new HUD, designed to be more informative and more compact for Proto players.
* Several new console commands have been added -- type proto_help for a full list.

Maintenance:
* Optimized performance
* Improved mod compatibility with SUBARASHII

Balance:
* Jump height increased.
* Fuel no longer regenerates in Single Player/Coop/Race (must collect pickups to use).
* Tweaked fuel item pickup values
* Proto's bullets will now be deflected by solid objects and some projectiles. (e.g. Unidus spiked balls, Gargoyles)
* Dash duration increased (12 -> 15 tics)
* Ambushes are less likely to occur while fighting enemies.
* Proto has been overhauled in CTF and Match in order to make him more competitive
-- Proto now uses red rings instead of popguns
-- All of Proto's weapon rings destroy monitors
-- Raised Proto's fuel regeneration cap (6 -> 16)
-- Fuel regeneration cap increases as more power stones are collected.

Bugfixes:
* Fixed enemies and monitors turning invisible when shot
* Fixed Proto being able to use jet fuel while carrying the flag
* Fixed Proto not being able to turn Super in Match/CTF

Old 09-04-2017   #57
Flare957
Screw gravity

Just wondering, are the enemies supposed to appear every minute or so? It just seem to happen too often. Not even 1 minute into the first level of a Marathon Run in SUBARASHII and an army warpped in.

Also I think it'd be a good idea to add a rare warp enemy that drops an upgrade so you can regen your rocket fuel and each time you get the item, it'll increase the regen max by 5 or 10 e.g. 1st = 10, 2nd = 20 etc.

Other than that, it's pretty good.
Flare957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017   #58
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

I had intended to make ambushes more prevalent and more consistent, but perhaps I went in that direction a little too much. I will tweak it in the next update depending on feedback.

Old 09-05-2017   #59
Ice
Pretty chill guy

This looks incredible! How did I not know you had made a character wad? A kickass one at that! It looks like it brings a bit more doom back into SRB2, since this is a shooter engine after all. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet but it looks great and I can't wait to see it in action.
Old 09-07-2017   #60
Murilo
Elyos03

Why is every other character using Proto's Health?

Normally:
https://imgur.com/a/4iEfJ

With WAD added:
https://imgur.com/a/cJ0oW

Last edited by Murilo; 09-07-2017 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Uppercase "P" in Proto's name added.
Murilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017   #61
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Thanks for reporting, will upload a hotfix in the next couple of hours.