SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

Jetty-Syn Proto V2.1.1 - Back for more! (Updated 9/7/2017) Details »»
Jetty-Syn Proto V2.1.1 - Back for more! (Updated 9/7/2017)
Developer Last Online: Dec 2017

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating: (10 votes - 4.80 average)
Released: 10-10-2016 Last Update: Never Installs: 4
Characters Scripts Re-Useable Content Sprites/Graphics

ROBO ON THE RUN!!

While working on the Black Rock doomsday device, Dr. Robotnik experimented with a bipedal Jetty-Syn prototype equipped with an advanced AI system and ball-morphing technology. However, disaster struck -- the prototype rebelled against its creator during a test run, and it broke free from Robotnik's lab, never to be seen again... or so he thought.

A few months later, the maverick robot resurfaced and began an onslaught on Robotnik's army! Even worse, the Jetty-Syn was after the emeralds for his own gain. In desperation, Robotnik sent a special forces unit to hunt him down and retrieve the chaos emeralds from the rogue robot.

Will this renegade outpace his creator, or will the badnik warp squad end his roboticide?
Download now and find out!

A harasser playstyle
Jetty-Syn Proto can fire mid-range shots that chip away at enemies and monitors. He can also stay above the action by using his jetpack, which is fueled by collecting item pickups from enemies and monitors.

Roll up and blast forward!
Proto can enter ball form, allowing him to shrink in size and charge up a dash that destroys enemies and walls. Proto can also perform short air-hops in this form if he has fuel.

Keep up the adrenaline!
Hit enemies while in ball form to power up! While in an adrenaline rush, your speed and gun strength will increase!

Stay alert!!
In the campaign, Proto doesn't use rings as health like other characters, so he can only take so many hits. To make matters worse, Proto is constantly being tailed by enemies that warp to his location. Mind your head-up display and be ready for a fight!

Customize!
Type proto_help for a list of Proto-related console commands. Toggle the HUD, disable ambushes for an easier playthrough, or beacon yourself to the warp squad for an extra challenge.

Credits
Sound effects: Cave Story and DooM
Music: "setblaster2" by coda

Shoutouts go to MonsterIestyn, FuriousFox, and a few others on #srb2fun for answering many of my questions and helping me troubleshoot my code.
Also thanks goes to Tripel the Fox, whose Tails Guy character served as part inspiration for this wad and gave me a starting point for coding when I knew very little about Lua.
Credit to Sapharos for lending me the death animation, which I tweaked a bit.
Special thanks to Wolfy for helping bugtest the character for online play.
Thanks to everyone else for playing and giving all of your feedback!

Download Now

File Type: rar proto-v211.rar (3.63 MB, 630 views)

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 10-13-2016   #22
frozenLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltBW View Post
- Bullets will follow an axis in Axis2D levels
Tested with Clock Towers, its still broken. Then again, if its an update that works specifically with a later version of Axis2D that isn't in clock towers, I could understand.

Otherwise, I like the changes, but part of me wishes that the ball form had less friction, so it could take more advantage from speed pads for example.

Also, to those interested in that sort of thing: Proto can beat SRB2 Heroes version of Rail Station, but only because they can make a long jump to bypass the power character only section. Maybe give the boost ball knuckles level breaking, to add compatibility with those sorts of things? I know, its probably a bit much to ask, as this is the only level pack where it is required for completion, but it might be nice to have for exploration in other packs?

Maybe if there were multiple charge levels for the boost ball...

Last edited by frozenLake; 10-13-2016 at 02:07 PM.
frozenLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016   #23
TehRealSalt
Ya Gal Sal Here (σᴥσ)
Developer

Holy hell this is fun

(so much easier to pull off now too, thank you so much for moving the buttons around~)
Old 10-13-2016   #24
frozenLake

Found two bugs: sometimes, if you jump upwards through a clippable downward moving FOF, you will rocket into the air, and if you die in morph ball form, your death sprite will be much smaller.
Old 10-13-2016   #25
BASHDUP

This is insanely good props, but is it compatible with match modes? EDIT: It does, DOPE!

Last edited by BASHDUP; 10-13-2016 at 07:04 PM.
BASHDUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016   #26
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing View Post
To be honest, I was perfectly fine with it being the spin button. I dislike having to change my keyboard controls just to get used to a character.
I will look further into customizable controls. If I'm unable to do anything extensive, I'll at least add "classic" controls as an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomekop View Post
Tested with Clock Towers, its still broken. Then again, if its an update that works specifically with a later version of Axis2D that isn't in clock towers, I could understand.
At the time I was only using the Axis2D Example for testing. The problem may be that the bullet is hitting walls and thus getting destroyed prematurely. I'll look into this.

Quote:
Otherwise, I like the changes, but part of me wishes that the ball form had less friction, so it could take more advantage from speed pads for example.
That, I can probably do. I'll play around with it and see if I can find a good balance. Unfortunately there's nothing else I can do for Proto around slopes, since there isn't yet any lua functionality that deals with those kinds of sectors.

Quote:
Also, to those interested in that sort of thing: Proto can beat SRB2 Heroes version of Rail Station, but only because they can make a long jump to bypass the power character only section. Maybe give the boost ball knuckles level breaking, to add compatibility with those sorts of things? I know, its probably a bit much to ask, as this is the only level pack where it is required for completion, but it might be nice to have for exploration in other packs?

Maybe if there were multiple charge levels for the boost ball...
This is an easy change, I'll include it into the next release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomekop View Post
Found two bugs: sometimes, if you jump upwards through a clippable downward moving FOF, you will rocket into the air, and if you die in morph ball form, your death sprite will be much smaller.
For the former bug, can you give me an example map and area so that I can replicate this?

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016   #27
toaster
トースタちゃん
Developer

The issue with nyooming through intangible moving FOFs is actually a 2.1.16 bug! Such is the issue with pmomz, it's not Proto's fault.

Also, I haven't played Proto yet but he looks cool. Good work! Probably.
<MonsterIestyn> watch porm to keep warm
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016   #28
Jake10102006

It's strange. Proto's morph ball doesn't seem to wan t to work in Sugoi's Sky Labrinth for me. It was working fin in the previous version. It's weird...
Old 10-14-2016   #29
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobaltBW View Post
At the time I was only using the Axis2D Example for testing. The problem may be that the bullet is hitting walls and thus getting destroyed prematurely. I'll look into this.
Yeah, upon further investigation, I think this has to do something with the axes. Honestly, the code currently set in place for Axis2D doesn't seem to be interested with having non-player objects follow the axis, so this isn't really an inviting issue for me to tackle right now. If anyone wants to take a stab at doing it properly, donate the code to me and I will add it if it works. In the meantime I'm just going to redact the code so that bullets can actually work at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake10102006 View Post
It's strange. Proto's morph ball doesn't seem to wan t to work in Sugoi's Sky Labrinth for me. It was working fin in the previous version. It's weird...
It's due to the change in controls. Honestly, I'm just going to disable Proto's code for that specific map format, because I think that's just going to continue causing problems in the future.

Old 10-14-2016   #30
Goldenhog
Wandering Protagonist

I'll also say that I preferred the old controls to the newer ones. But other than that, I have no complaints, this character is pretty damn fun.
Goldenhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016   #31
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

I've been looking into this, and I can't seem to find any way to store control modifications through lua without potentially screwing up netplay. And if that's going to be the case, then we're pretty much stuck with fire being on the fire key and ball being on the spin key. Popularity of either option aside, I'm going with the current setup because spin is bound to certain things like dropping from hangers, which prevents the character from hanging while firing if fire is set to the spin key. Meanwhile, fire on the fire key works more intuitively with match, whereas using custom1 in addition to spin would needlessly add more buttons to the mix, due to the player still needing the fire button for weapon rings.

If it's any issue, my suggestion is to create a script for yourself so that you can switch the binds to match your preferred proto layout more easily.

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

V1.2 Update Notes

Maintenance:
* Rolled back 2DAxis bullet curving
* Normalized Proto for Sky Labyrinth (SUGOI)

Bugfixes:
* Fixed Proto not working on Sky Labyrinth
* Fixed Proto being small while dead

Balance:
* Proto's dash can now destroy Knuckles-only walls
* Reduced Proto's friction slightly while in ball form
* Significantly increased Crawla Commander V2.0's chance of firing while in pinch state (0.3% -> 10%)

Last edited by CobaltBW; 10-14-2016 at 04:29 AM.
Old 10-14-2016   #32
Soul the Wolf

I didn't even play it and it looks fun. Nice job m8.
Soul the Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016   #33
frozenLake

Figure that I should share this here, since it isn't listed in the features list, or the tooltips, and I only found it out by playing with another person...

There is a second charge level to Proto's Dash, if you want to boost at an even higher speed.

It takes quite a bit of charging to get to though, so its easy to miss.
Old 10-14-2016   #34
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Charging the ability just stores up speed until it reaches the cap. Once you hear a "ding!" you've reached the limit.

Old 10-14-2016   #35
frozenLake

Oh. Oooooh.

Neat.

So its not just two seperate charge levels. Got it.
Old 10-15-2016   #36
Jeck Jims
Oh, THAT guy...

Not a complaint by any means, but I feel it's almost a huge missed opportunity not to have Proto absorb animals from defeated badniks for fuel, I mean, they're powered by animals and all.
Old 10-15-2016   #37
nothing
Does nothing at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeck Jims View Post
Not a complaint by any means, but I feel it's almost a huge missed opportunity not to have Proto absorb animals from defeated badniks for fuel, I mean, they're powered by animals and all.
Isn't Jetty-Proto suppose to be a good guy? Like E-102 Gamma.
nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016   #38
Boinciel
ヒトデパンと奇妙なジャム
Developer

I don't suppose they'd burn well as fuel, either.

hubjim
Boinciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016   #39
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeck Jims View Post
I gave it a passing thought while implementing the fuel system, but I decided against it for two reasons.

1) Adding a new item specifically for Proto is more intuitive. The moment the player sees it, they know that it's going to power up Proto in some way and that they should collect it immediately. Simply making the animal a powerup makes it easier to overlook.

2) Animals acting as powerups would be difficult to balance. For instance, low-level enemies like crawlas don't always drop fuel in Single Player, and if I were to use animals instead to replicate the same effect, I would either have to make some crawlas not spawn animals, or I would have to make the animals drop lower fuel amounts and Proto would have to spend more of his time collecting the drops. Also, animals have their own eratic movement and their own timers which I didn't want to interfere with. A stationary powerup doesn't work against the player in any way, and I can easily modify the fuel coin to have a disappearance timer of my choosing.

Also to answer the questions earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapheros View Post
I know I'm being nitpicky considering this is just a character and all... But wouldn't a prototype BADNIK still have actual health? Like Hit Points or something? It seems like it would be really worth all the badnik exterminating in my opinion.

EDIT: On top of that, could the ball mode charge move maybe be mapped to the jump button as well?

EDIT2: AND ON TOP OF THAT, a robot that isn't Space-Proof?
I only wanted to make the character as complex as necessary to make him whole and balanced. A custom health system didn't serve a useful purpose in Proto's game design, and breathing in space would have been an unnecessary buff which doesn't solve any core issues with the character. In short: Proto's complex already, didn't want to fix what isn't broken.

Dunno why you'd need the charge move mapped to jump. Fire would honestly be easier in any situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing View Post
Isn't Jetty-Proto suppose to be a good guy? Like E-102 Gamma.
Who said Proto was a good guy? He's just not on the same side as Robotnik... ;)

---------- Post added at 02:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 AM ----------

So, I just figured out how you can change the player's height dynamically. The whole reason I made Proto small while in ball form is because the game rejects any changes you make to the player object's height through lua, as it's continually reset and then checked all in the same event. However, by dynamically changing the object info instead of the height value directly, I can completely bypass these checks, therefore allowing Proto to fit through holes without making him smaller.

This is good news, because I never wanted to make Proto small -- it was just a design choice that evolved out of necessity. Next release I plan to make ball normal size, which will prevent him from squeezing through cracks any longer, but it will improve his stability around sectors and allow scale-modifier sections to work properly. I'm actually surprised I didn't figure this out sooner, but I suppose late is better than never.

Last edited by CobaltBW; 10-15-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-15-2016   #40
toaster
トースタちゃん
Developer

That "fix" will break things in multiplayer, just so you know. That height adjustment applies to every player object, not just yours, but ONLY LOCALLY (but then the lua script runs on both ends and it may or may not do the same thing). So fire your weapon at a Sonic's head and then ballform yourself up. One of two things happen - either the bullet passes harmless through his head locally and on Sonic's end, or it only passes harmlessly on your end and hits on the other end, causing a desync. (Which of the two things happens is determined by how you code it.)

It's a cool thing to experiment with, but height changing of the player via Lua won't be possible without scale hacks before 2.2.
<MonsterIestyn> watch porm to keep warm

Last edited by toaster; 10-15-2016 at 10:14 AM.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016   #41
Sapheros
That guy that ports

You know what I've always been concerned about, how come Proto doesn't have an animal in side of hi-

Oh. Never mind then.

(PM'ing Cobalt to see if this can be added for the next version)