May/June 2010 Contest Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you actually not realize how freaking epic your map is? It's seriously one of the best CTF maps I've ever seen. I actually think it should be included in a future version of SRB2, like Blade's Thunder Factory.

The thick colormap makes it utterly impossible to tell team mates from opponents until you are really close. Certain shields can also not be told apart from each other. Shooting at someone with an Armageddon Shield in the red base because you think it is a Whirlwind Shield makes you headdesk.

How could you possibly not have experienced this? It is plain obvious once you play a round of CTF in it.

Hmmm...I guess our round was too short for us to really run into lots of these problems. Maybe I should replay it and revise my vote.

Yay, votes getting influenced by others. I mean, that's kinda stupid, and no, I'm not saying this because my map will suffer from it. In fact, I dislike my map, really.

It may not change my vote. I happen to know that at least some of those complaints didn't happen when I played it. For instance, I didn't have too hard a time determining who was a friend and who was a foe.

Yay, votes getting influenced by others. I mean, that's kinda stupid, and no, I'm not saying this because my map will suffer from it. In fact, I dislike my map, really.
I answered his question, I didn't suggest he change his vote, and I really wouldn't do it to make my map benefit from it. The chances that it will win are low anyway, and as you might have noticed, I don't like it that much either.

I don't think I'm gonna change my vote. I still like it. But at least I understand why people don't. I don't always follow the crowd in my contest votes. I remember...in the first contest I voted in, I gave Scrap Brain Zone a 10/10, the only person not to hate it. I think that was extreme in retrospect, but I still retain my individuality.

This is not to say that I would ever just give a level a random number for the sake of it. I rate levels what I think they deserve. It's just that I don't always think they deserve what others think they deserve.

I stand by what I said earlier...the Radiant Cavern theme would make an awesome SP level. In fact, from what I've seen, most of what people don't like about it as a CTF level wouldn't be nearly so much of a problem in Single Player. As a matter of fact, the theme would work better as anything than CTF...it would be good for a Match or Race level too. Anything that doesn't involve teams (though that would kinda rule out Team Match).

Single Player:

Dangerous Volcano Zone - 6/10
This map was probably my favourite of the lot. Despite a long intro and a confusing lava room, it was quite fun to play.

Buzzards Bay Zone Act 1 - 4/10
You are certainly improving in mapping, but you're still off in areas. Though, your visuals here were very nice.

Canyon Operation Zone - 5/10
The map was OK, but confusing.

Starlit City - 4/10
Like SpiritCrusher said, this map wasn't hugely bad, it was just unimpressive by today's standards.

Metropolis Sprint Zone - 5/10
Not much to say on this. It works, but it's dull.

Cyber Gauntlet - 6/10
I give this 6/10 because the concept is good, and it is fun to play, it doesn't fit well as an SRB2 level though.

CTF:

Freezing Flame Zone - 4/10
It wasn't too bad, but it followed a tired cliché of fire touching ice.

Wellspring Keep Zone - No/Way? No/way!
I didn't think this turned out too bad, for a first map. It does seem slightly confusing, in retrospect, but it should be learnable. The visuals were probably the weak point here.

Radiant Cavern Zone - 3/10
This could've got a 6/10, perhaps, were it not for BLINDING COLORMAPS OF DOOM that obscure your view. Those were extremely disruptive! In the netgame I played, I relied on SEENAMES to identify teammates and enemies. The extremely high ratings for this map were undeserved, even Spherallic admits it's unimpressive.

Climate Chaos Zone - 2/10
The lack of symmetry is offputting for one team. The stage is nice, but well oversized. In the netgame I played with this, SpiritCrusher snatched my team's flag, and hid for 10 minutes, the map ending when pointlimit was set to 1 and SC committed suicide.

Circuit:

Grassy Cliffs Zone - 5/10
AAAAAAAAAA INVISIBLE FOFS. It wasn't an awful map, but it was a bit monotonous and there was a checkpoint error. The constant up-and-down motion was slowing.

Tidal Cave - 5/10
A bit too blue and some random gimmicks, but not too bad a map.

Iron Aquarium Zone - 9/10
Best map of the lot. Very beautiful and plays well. Only issue was that it's a little on the big side, but that's to be expected from a SP-turned-Race map.

Last edited:
Single Player Levels

Dangerous Volcano Zone - 7/10

I have to say, this was fun to play, you slide while standing/idling as you make your way to the Volcano, then you finally get control.

Anyway, I've been seeing those ? Blocks, and I figure they had to hold stuff, so I hit one and I get 3 rings, then I hit another and I hear the "Get Emerald" music, did I get a emerald or something, who knows. I was thinking that there has to be a way to get out of the area where the first checkpoint is, until I found a spring on top of the empty ? Block, with that, I check the ? blocks now to see if they contains stuff where you need to go.

You need to tone down the blue color map in the ice parts, it's just too blue, which can hurt the eyes.

The Elemental Shield if kept into the 2D Part, the area there is a massive cakewalk, and it even helps you get pass the 2nd section very quickly of the 2D Area thanks to the lava current.

Buzzards Bay Zone Act 1 - 4/10
Don't I remember this from a older contest that this was entered? Anyway, you improved, and fixed that one glitch where the map crashes until you loaded it from Doombuilder, but... it still lacks in a few areas...

Canyon Operation Zone - 7/10
Some say they were confused by this map, but for me, it wasn't all that confusing, the visuals could of used some improvements, then again, it's a alright map.

Starlit City - 2/10
Right, where to being here, your sky looks broken, and I got killed unfairly by a crumbling platform that TWO areas fell at the same time, let me explain, think of it as this [] [], I stand on here [X] [], expecting that platform to fall, so I should jump to the next one before I fall to my death, but no, instead, both of them fall, giving me hardly any time to react and get across. You never want this type of crumbling platforms, honestly, you don't.

Not to mention it looks kinda bland in my eyes.

Metropolis Sprint Zone - 6/10
Run! Run through the area is what I could say, really.

Cyber Gauntlet - 5/10
A Special stage where abouts you need to get 1 ring and go through Spring Hell, however... the only issues I had was with the water slides here, and I honestly was expecting the pits to kill me/end the stage, because, well, they are bottomless pits, no?

Before anybody else gives me any more thorough criticism about Lost Paradise, let it be known that it was a Rush Job™, it's unfinished and I obviously bit off way more than I could possibly chew. I'm still suprised I actually managed to get the stage to loop around in time.

Thing placement was, as usual, done in great haste and thusly sucks majorly. The weapon panels are about in the right positions, but that's about it. There's also missing sector architecture which I simply ran out of time to finish (waterfall cave, mostly).

So before you continue to lecture me about how the stage is "wasted potential" and that I "haven't grasped 2.0 standards" yet, know that probably less than 30 hours were spent in the stage, and half of that was wasted on the temple area alone.

I deserve the lousy ratings, but I'd like to think that I know how to create a decent stage. I just didn't. =P

(Does anyone even get what the stage is supposed to be? Did you at least smile when you figured it out)

Single Player:
Dangerous Volcano Zone by Internet Explorer - 3/10
The map seems like a fun idea, but the long, boring intro, confusing layout (I was in the second lava room for five minutes before I found the button) and general unpolished-ness of the map did not sit well with me.

Buzzards Bay Zone, Act 1 by WEREHOG - 3/10
I feel like I've played this before... in Tortured Planet. The difference is that this isn't fun. There's not really a huge deal-freaking flaw, but the map just wasn't any fun for me.

Canyon Operation Zone by ComRante - 6/10
I'm just not too sure about this map. On one hand, it plays really well if you know where you're going. A lot of the obstacles provide some fun, and the map as a whole is nice to look at. On the other hand, a few frustrating areas, such as the turret room and the starting area (which seems to be designed to confuse) just didn't leave me with a good impression. Also, I'd like to mention that, although it didn't affect my score, one of your starposts seems easy to miss.

Starlit City by Brawl - 8/10
Look, I don't care what you guys have to say about this map. For all its flaws, this map just drew me in and made me feel good about myself, which doesn't happen often. Yes, the custom textures were just recolors, but they do add a lot of variety. The map encouraged exploration with a bunch of ledges that you'd swear you can get to if you just try a little harder. The difficulty felt just right for an early level of a mod. It is a little rough around the edges, but I enjoyed just running through and bopping some crawlas for once.
EDIT: On second thought, a seven doesn't seem to express how much I just enjoyed this level. That atmosphere really gets to me.

Metropolis Sprint Zone by Whackjood - 5/10
My friend, this is certainly a well-built level. However, it's really kind of boring. Also, a few segments were really stupid, like the part where you were climbing up some scaffoldings or something, and the boss was unnecessary and frustrating.

Cyber Gauntlet by verifiaman - 5/10
On one hand, the creativity in the concept of the level is something I really like, and the spring bouncing segments were actually really fun for me. However, they were hard, and the slide segment was just evil. Really, this map has a flaw for every good point, and a good point for every flaw.

Match:
MAPM1 - Diamond Blizzard Zone by Spherallic
MAPM2 - Coastal Cavern by RedEchidna
MAPM3 - Citrus Foyer Zone by Brawl
MAPM4 - Lost Paradise Zone by Neo Chaotikal

CTF:
MAPF1 - Freezing Flame Zone by RedEchidna - Hot/Cold
Really, should I just give up on trying to create a map with a semi-original theme? Should I just stick to grasslands, canyons, and castles? :/

MAPF2 - Wellspring Keep Zone by SpiritCrusher/Cinefast - 2/10
I'm sorry, but I really don't like this map. For starters, the button gimmick isn't pulled off properly, making it next to impossible to get in and out of the bases for either team; that is, if the button even works, which it doesn't most of the time. That room also looks incredibly bland and slightly ugly. Even then, however, the layout is a bit hard to figure out, especially with the main path being a game of "which way goes to the base?" The outer areas are bland and don't always even fit, and the side caverns hardly get used. Overall, this map really disappointed me.

MAPF3 - Radiant Cavern by Spherallic/KO.T.E - 4/10
This map really suffers from the colormaps, making it impossible to tell who that person in front of you chucking grenades is. The map is also easy to get lost in, with no way to tell apart one room from the next, which means finding the flag is a matter of luck. However, the map looks really nice, and I'd like to see a match map with a similar design. (But please, lighten the colormap...)

MAPF4 - Climate Chaos Zone by Scizor300 - 1/10
Asymmetry is the one thing every mapper has wanted to try at some point. Unfortunately, it never works, and this is why. While one team has to bounce through the trees and hope they can make it up to their base, the other team gets some springs straight to their base. There are a few other flaws, but the unbalance alone really gets next to me.

Circuit:
MAPR1 - Grassy Cliffs Zone by AndyMan123 - 2/10
This map was plain, boring, and had too many invisible walls. It just got on my nerves, being all plain and boring and etc.

MAPR2 - Tidal Cave by RedEchidna/darkbob1713 - hai/Dusk~
FIND THE COMPUTER ROOM!

*ahem* There was another secret I had put in the map, but when I showed it to Dusk, he wanted it taken out. So I plugged it up, but I think it's still accessible via no-clip or what-have-you.

MAPR3 - Iron Aquarium Zone by Zap610 - 4/10
This map certainly has its looks going for it. Aside from that Day-Glo blue colormap, everything here looked beautiful. However, the map was sort of confusing to follow, ie the steam jets at the start seemed like they were blowing me to the crushers at first, and the first part in the aquarium had me a bit lost. Also, the map was fairly boring once I figured out where to go, especially the underwater parts.
EDIT: Meh, I didn't enjoy this map enough for a 5.

Last edited:
I've played all these maps, and I even tried Tag/H&S on the match maps.

Match:
MAPM1 - Diamond Blizzard Zone by Spherallic - 7/10
Good second place. Ice-theme done right.

MAPM2 - Coastal Cavern by RedEchidna - 9/10
Best of the 4. You can't come from nowhere in this one unless you are REALLY clever.

MAPM3 - Citrus Foyer Zone by Brawl - 3/10
...I like the concept, but the execution was just flawed. Damaging OJ, no one I played with like.

MAPM4 - Lost Paradise Zone by Neo Chaotikal - 5/10
+Not bad for an obvious Rush Job(tm). Once completed, it'll be excellent.
-Probably could make the labyrinth area less confusing with subtle texture changes.

CTF:
MAPF1 - Freezing Flame Zone by RedEchidna - 8/10
+Best of the CTF maps, Good Job!

MAPF2 - Wellspring Keep Zone by SpiritCrusher/Cinefast 5/10
-Blue spawns outside map
-Button malfunctions more than 0%, which is too much, of the time.
Fix the issues and we'll talk about a better score.

MAPF3 - Radiant Cavern by Spherallic/KO.T.E - 4/10
-Is this map designed for OpenGL? Software is playing blind, essentially.

MAPF4 - Climate Chaos Zone by Scizor300 3/10
-This map is just TOO. DAMN. BIG. Also asymmetry.

Circuit:
MAPR1 - Grassy Cliffs Zone by AndyMan123 8/10
+Short, simple, circuitous. The very definition of a Circuit map.
-Might want to move the checkpoint. Too easy to skip over it, adding unnecessary laps.

MAPR2 - Tidal Cave by RedEchidna/darkbob1713 6/10
No comments. It's decently passable.

MAPR3 - Iron Aquarium Zone by Zap610 - 7/10
+Great work with the theme.
-Maybe make it more obvious where the windpipe is supposed to send you, in my netgame everyone kept trying to climb across the crushers.

MAPF2 - Wellspring Keep Zone by SpiritCrusher/Cinefast 5/10
-Blue spawns outside map
-Button malfunctions more than 0%, which is too much, of the time.
Fix the issues and we'll talk about a better score.

I can't tell you how much we were shocked when we discovered that a blue spawn was outside the map (thanks to SC's finger slipping). As for the buttons, Netgames + Each Time executors = :(

Thanks for the review!

Then the solution is to find a workaround. If the game breaks a feature of yours, you'll have to change that feature.

Then the solution is to find a workaround. If the game breaks a feature of yours, you'll have to change that feature.

There is no workaround, RedEchidna, we had no choice but to leave the each time executors and jump into the shelter.

CTF
Freezing Flame Zone by RedEchidna - 6/10
+ Great map
- A little bland theme wise.

Wellspring Keep Zone by SpiritCrusher/Cinefast - 9/10

+ Nice decoration
+ Nice original button gimmick
- There is a blue spawn outside of the map

Radiant Cavern by Spherallic/KO.T.E - 9/10
+ Absolutely beautiful map.
+ No major issues.

Climate Chaos Zone by Scizor300 5/10
+ Decorated well.
- Map is way too large.

There is no workaround, RedEchidna, we had no choice but to leave the each time executors and jump into the shelter.
Use an Invisible, Intangible FOF with a continuous trigger. Bring it down on activation, and bring it back up after the executor is done. Problem solved!

Use an Invisible, Intangible FOF with a continuous trigger. Bring it down on activation, and bring it back up after the executor is done. Problem solved!
I... I really thought there was no continuous team trigger, but there is. Excuse me while I hide in shame. (Still, your score annoys me.)

EDIT: Here, I have another one for you: The lava feels out of place. Wanna drop to 1/10 now? *shot*

Last edited:
Dangerous Volcano by Internet Explorer - 2/10
The puzzles are unclear.
The intro is needless.
Your sense of scale is too small.

I like the creative ideas in the map, but those three issues above prevented me from being able to enjoy your content.

Buzzards Bay 1 by WEREHOG - 6/10
Your sense of scale is barely too small.
At the beginning, the route on the right is hard to notice.
The hazards present in the early map will improve the gameplay when used throughout the entire map.

Canyon Operation by ComRante - 3/10
When I played this map, I was living in fear.

Fear of never finding forwards and being stuck in the same room for an hour.
Fear of the unreliable gimmicks which focused on chance instead of skill.
Fear of rebooting the map to try to understand the map to give it an accurate rating.

Starlit City by Brawl - 4/10
I sympathize with your lack of skill as an early mapper. Building a level over deathpit is an unfortunate hurdle which every mapper must pass.

Metropolis Sprint by Whackjood - 8/10
I can find no flaws in your map. It would be a ten except it lacks that extra special something to push it over the top.

Cyber Gauntlet by verifiaman - 9/10
THIS map has that special something. I've wanted to see the cyperspace theme in SRB2 for some time now, although I think Blade did it in single player once before. The one thing I would change would be to take the map out of the special stage format and make it a normal level instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back