• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Roach's endless sprite parade

The ironic thing is that it was the other way around, since I made it a habit of not even spindash starting. :V

I'd call it balanced then; you can beat Sonic players as any other character, but you still get rewarded for mastering the toughest character.

Too bad that the online players are just going to whine about it (assuming it gets in), but whatever.

Too bad that the online players are just going to whine about it (assuming it gets in), but whatever.

Xxx_MLG_Sonic_Pro_xxX> Why iz sunic so slow
Not gonna lie, it'd be a good thing for Sonic to have a somewhat slower thok!
But this would also mean that every record attack thingy will be corrupted, so we'll have to do the whole time, rings and... goddamn score emblems ._.

Or maybe you just played like a **** and almost lost the race, this could be an explanation too :/
Just remembered about the platform section. Forget that thing :S

Last edited:
Having played around with a beta a bit myself, the abilities really aren't as good as people are making it out to be. GFZ becomes a bit more interesting with the dash mechanics, but overall it doesn't really change much for character balance. A few places that used to be clearable with a simple jump+thok now need a spindash (and ATZ is allegedly borderline unplayable, though I haven't tried it myself), but overall the game plays very much the same, considering how little you actually thokfest in levels with any amount of difficulty. In fact, with the eventual speed boost given, some areas are actually easier to go fast in since you now have the greater mobility afforded by being on the ground, while still having the thok for the tightest of turns.

One thing it does do is increase the skill ceiling for Sonic players quite a bit, which may be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective. Hitting a wall suddenly means a 3-4 second drop in speed rather than a half-second one, but players who are good enough as him will never be hitting walls anyway, so it's a moot point.

The dash mode as a whole kind of bugs me anyway because it's not a consistent mechanic with the rest of the game. A similar concept that I talked about a bit on IRC was to keep the thok nerf, but instead of having a dash mode, just allow Sonic to keep his speed on the ground (likely with some limiter - 60?) when he gets it through another source, such as a spindash, without allowing him to just reach the speed by running or thokking. It still increases the skill ceiling, but instead of the speed being something you just get by running, you have to actively go for it. (Plus, using your thok for air control would force you back down to the lower speed, making it a double-edged sword as far as going fast is concerned.)

On the topic of what to do with Sonic's thok, what would happen if, instead of setting Sonic's forward momentum to a fixed value, it accelerated him a fixed amount (let's say 36 fu/t) in the direction he was facing? This would make the thok effective for accelerating to top speed from a standstill, though not as effective as before, and rather useless for rounding tight corners. However, it would enable skilled players to chain multiple jump-thoks together in order to reach some truly impressive speeds. This ability should be fairly easy to whip up in Lua, but if you guys want, I can provide a demonstration script myself.

EDIT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zjleaz6b5nw2lh/AccelThok.lua?dl=0

Last edited:
If you guys want to know, I personally think the whole thokfest spamming issue could be easily fixed by changing the thok itself slightly. Not by removing it's strength, but by making it a chargeable ability.

In said occasion, only thoking right away would only give you a slight acceleration and nothing more. However, if you held down the jump button as you're in air, you could make it charge to accelerate faster forward, with a second or few being the maximum. The consequence? I'm thinking it might slow you down in air a little bit, so it would still be an optional way of getting a boost forward, yet not always the option you would go for, such as when you're already running.

That way, the ability itself would be more well balanced to not always send you away flying, and thokfests would be less than likely, while still making it possible for you to use the thok for crossing large gaps, and the aerial slow down on it's own could be a great way for keyboard users to aim their thoking.

Of course, this is just an idea I would go for other than the dashing ability that this Sonic currently has, and something I would most likely want to apply to vanilla Sonic. I'm not too sure if that would be a good thing for this one.

But enough talk about his abilities, it's getting too offtopic~

3UzvxFe.png

>:O

Last edited:
That is the BEST spindash animation I have ever seen. I am way too hyped for this. Keep up the awesome work!

I wonder you can do a minor editing on Knuckles transformation sprite. It appears that his tail is missing.

Last edited:
This should be on Vanilla. SRB2 will be much greater with these little changes and... well. BIG changes, like the new sprites. Seriously this is awesome. Keep up the great work MotorRoach! Happy new year for everyone, By the way.

I'd love it if you could make him crouch by pressing spin, and then rapidly press jump while crouching to charge a spindash. But then that'd require extra frames (as well as making everyone else do it for consistency), and given the quality of what you've done so far, I couldn't possibly ask more. I absolutely can't wait to see this done!

the dust is beautiful

I'd love it if you could make him crouch by pressing spin, and then rapidly press jump while crouching to charge a spindash. But then that'd require extra frames (as well as making everyone else do it for consistency), and given the quality of what you've done so far, I couldn't possibly ask more.

I wonder about that. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

HOitdcz.png

Well, I'll save more surprises for the next year, but for now I'll be away for a little bit. Happy new year, y'all!

I honestly think I'd like to see this boost become a universal gameplay mechanic.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back